Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs extend Morgan Rielly (8 years, $7.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Have you also noticed that NONE of the Canadian teams......who are all built differently........have won any cups in 28 years?

What's the "formula" for Ottawa? Montreal? Calgary? You internet experts seem to have one for Toronto.

Maybe, it's slightly more difficult up north of the border, to compete with state-tax-free zone Tampa? Or no-real-pressure LA/Washington/St. Louis? Or stacked-with one of the greatest players ever-Sidney Crosby in Pittsburgh?
I’m not arguing that any of those teams formulas have or will work. I’m arguing that I agree with a poster who suggested that the leafs approach to their cap is not a good one.

Do you want to go into depth about the deficiencies you see in any one of those teams? I don’t think I’ll disagree with much of it.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
He prob gets around the 4M range to be fair. He's a legit starter but far from elite. He's not a top 10 goalie, somewhere in the 15-20 range.

there are 20 goalies I believe that make 5 million or more. The days of needing to be a top 10 goalie to make that much money is long gone

gn2007

Nov 21, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
Fair deal to keep number one D on your team. UFA status not RFA how some contracts were this year. Going to be interesting what others will ask or compare to.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Pretty good deal. Most Leaf fans were hoping for a number in the low to mid 7s.

After those mega deals to defenders (Nurse, Jones, Werenski, etc.), Rielly making the same as an Ekblad and less than a Trouba for 8 years is a great price. Letting Mo walk would be a fireable offense considering he's one of their best playoff performers year in year out and paces for 50-70pts depending on the year.

This 7.5m will be almost entirely covered by the 1m cap raise + Kessel's retention coming off the books (1.2m), so the Leafs can cover 95% of this deal without doing anything.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Fantastic deal ......if it's a sign and trade for a defenseman that can actually play defense ffs .

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Have you also noticed that NONE of the Canadian teams......who are all built differently........have won any cups in 28 years?

What's the "formula" for Ottawa? Montreal? Calgary? You internet experts seem to have one for Toronto.

Maybe, it's slightly more difficult up north of the border, to compete with state-tax-free zone Tampa? Or no-real-pressure LA/Washington/St. Louis? Or stacked-with one of the greatest players ever-Sidney Crosby in Pittsburgh?

I mean, a lot of those teams have had playoff success and numerous trips to the Stanley cup.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I’m not arguing that any of those teams formulas have or will work. I’m arguing that I agree with a poster who suggested that the leafs approach to their cap is not a good one.

Do you want to go into depth about the deficiencies you see in any one of those teams? I don’t think I’ll disagree with much of it.

Well, the Leafs have their approach, and they are the best of the Canadian teams, finishing 1st in that division last year. Montreal had some crazy luck but I don't think anyone can say they were/are better with a straight face. And even league-wide, the Leafs are one of the top teams out there. So the Leaf approach MIGHT just be a good one.

Yeah they've imploded in the post-season with the children in their core. But they are children. It takes a bit of time to pay dividends sometimes.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I mean, a lot of those teams have had playoff success and numerous trips to the Stanley cup.

None have won a thing that matters. Coming in 2nd or winning a few rounds of playoffs is meaningless if you don't actually win anything of note. Y'all taught me that back in the 90's and early 2000's when the Leafs won a few rounds and made some noise. Y'all said it meant NOTHING. So don't go changing the tune now. ;)

Reactions: Forgotusername

Gally999

Aug 19, 2020
Really good deal, especially this strange year where any decent Dman can earn the salary of a star player. Big part of the core, good playoff performer, nice move!

Reactions: TML1990 and Kurtz

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
And what do they have to show for it? Right, nothing. If you're not first, you're last.

That’s a really bad way to look at sports, but okay. There have been plenty of great teams that had sustained success that were awesome to watch…that never won a championship. You can be a great team and not win a championship.

having zero playoff success is a different story.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
None have won a thing that matters. Coming in 2nd or winning a few rounds of playoffs is meaningless if you don't actually win anything of note. Y'all taught me that back in the 90's and early 2000's when the Leafs won a few rounds and made some noise. Y'all said it meant NOTHING. So don't go changing the tune now. ;)

that’s a great way to rationalize having no playoff success. But this is getting off topic.

I like this signing.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
That’s a really bad way to look at sports, but okay. There have been plenty of great teams that had sustained success that were awesome to watch…that never won a championship. You can be a great team and not win a championship.

having zero playoff success is a different story.
Yes, that playoff success has built an indestructible foundation for the lottery team in Montreal that just overpaid their flash in the pan.

Just admit you love your consolation prizes and participation ribbons. All that matters is the cup.

Reactions: TML1990

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Yes, that playoff success has built an indestructible foundation for the lottery team in Montreal that just overpaid their flash in the pan.

Just admit you love your consolation prizes and participation ribbons. All that matters is the cup.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You are proving my point lol

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
He could have got 9.5 if he wanted to. Nice to see a player take a pay cut to help his team out. Matthews and Marner should take note when they negotiate their next contracts.

Reactions: TML1990 and Kurtz

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Gross. Didn't want him at any price and would have preferred a trade this past summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad