Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs extend Morgan Rielly (8 years, $7.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Could be a career Leaf if his play is held up during the final few years of the deal. That doesn't happen often. Good player on a good contract. It's nice to not worry about him walking for nothing. Now, if they want to switch up the core it will be by trade and they can recoup assets in the process.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Not sure how TO can afford this but they couldn't lose him for nothing like they did with so many other players.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
sure they will. Kerfoot is gone. He is owed 750 k next year. Easy.

Next year Toronto has 71.8M committed to 8F, 5D, and 1G.

They have about 10M to spend on 4 forwards, Sandin, Liljegren, and Campbell. Campbell at 4+M (and maybe a lot more) isn't really tenable unless they move significant salary out.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
As a leaf fan, that's actually hilarious. This is the kind of trolling that is appreciated.

On a side note, Marner probably gets dealt at the end of this year. 58% of the cap now tied up in 5 players, I know Dubas is dumb but he can't be that dumb either. One of them certainly has to go now and the odd man out is Mitch at this point.

Mitch better have a good year then because I don’t know what team is taking that cap hit nowadays.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Everyone saying they have to trade one of the big contracts its not really needed.

cap goes up 1.2M
Kessels 1.2M off the books
Move kerfoot 3.4 M
Engvall won’t be resigned 1.25

thats 7 M in created cap

The only player thats moveable is Marner
Matthews and nylander can be moved but won’t .

you don’t trade franchise number one centres who are on pace to be Hall of Famer‘s and one of the best leafs in the modern era Mattthews .

Nylander was are best player last post season although it was short-lived. He’s also been dominant this year like he took steps forward he’s been one of the best leafs if not the best leaf and his contract looks absolutely amazing right now.

JT can’t be moved , too many reasons not gonna explain them all but it’s just not happening.

that leaves you with Marner, Marner can be moved the return, won’t be a absolutely amazing but it’s definitely not a cap dump and you definitely get a nice asset back. The problem with moving Marner is because of his contract there is only a very few amount of teams that can take him . I don’t think he will be moved but at the end of the day he’s pretty much the only large moveable contract Out of the Forward group

Last edited:
Reactions: The Podium

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Excellent AAV given the current market for Dmen. Considering the deals we saw given out this summer I'm really surprised this is at the number it's at. I think he could have gotten more. Leaf fans should be very happy with this deal. He clearly took a team discount to stay with the Leafs.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Great deal. Term and dollar are great.

7.5 mill in 8 years will be the going rate for a #4D, so it shouldnt look too bad by the end of it either.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It's a fair to good deal. Let's not pretend Reilly is a true #1, that ship has sailed a long time ago. Can't go wrong at 7.5M for a decent #2-#3 D-man though.

Leafs did a great job lowering his value over the last couple years though. Does he get PP1 time back now?

Reactions: golffuul

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I honestly don't know what to think of this deal when Nurse is at $9.5 million but Pelech is at $5.75 million.

I guess fair is most appropriate?

Mar 12, 2009
iirc retention on Kessel's cap hit lifts next year, obviously doesn't offset the raise in Mo's AAV, but it ain't nothin

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Marner and Matthews were signed before the pandemic. Is that too hard a concept to understand?

Rielly’s career high = 72 points @ 7.5M
Pulock + Pelech COMBINED career high = 58 points @ 10.75M

Still feel good? Perhaps next time you will refrain from comparing completely different types of D. Pelech would be paid more than Reilly if he wasn’t absolutely useless at scoring.
Riellys contract is fine, but the fact that you’re evaluating D men not only exclusively by points, but only by career highs in points regardless of when it happened has to be a joke.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It's a fair to good deal. Let's not pretend Reilly is a true #1, that ship has sailed a long time ago. Can't go wrong at 7.5M for a decent #2-#3 D-man though.

Leafs did a great job lowering his value over the last couple years though. Does he get PP1 time back now?

he has had pp1 time this year

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Seems about right I'd say... I've never been a huge fan of him but 7.5 I'd say seems about right for him

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Rielly isn't as good as Makar (9), Jones (9.5), Chabot (8) or Heskainen (8.45).

But he's a cut above Nurse (9.25, ouch), Faulk (6.5), Trouba (8) and Hughes (7.85)

I'm happy because 7.5 was the least amount of money he'd take and he took it.
. .

Last edited:
Reactions: NyQuil

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Good deal. He's a top pairing guy with some warts, but those warts are why he's making $7.5 million instead of $9.5 million or more.

Because of his skating, he's also probably not going to fall off as much in the later years of the deal compared to some guys who aren't that good at skating.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Seems like a good deal for the leafs. No move clause may suck but that’s par for the course now a days to get a fair deal.

Reactions: TML1990

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Solid deal.
But, in all seriousness, what's the Leafs long-term plans here? Cycle until they hopefully luck into some high producing ELC's to compliment these guys?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad