Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs extend Morgan Rielly (8 years, $7.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
On face value, this isn't a bad contract at all. Reilly's offense should make him more expensive than Pelech or Pulock and closer to the value of, say, Spurgeon. The question I have, though, is when you put the Reilly contract next to Matthews, Marner, Tavares, and Nylander. Over half of your cap space to 5 players does not seem sustainable.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Ok. Whatever. Washed up is washed up. Enjoy.

Maybe you’re lashing out because you didn’t do the math correctly which is okay.

I wouldn’t call him washed up, though.

He’s just not in the upper tier of D. This contract doesn’t put him there which is why it’s okay. Not amazing, and not a bargain, but fair.

Reactions: TML1990

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
It's definitely a fair deal, good for him, good for the team. Anyone laughing about how much money they have tied up in 5 guys... that isn't a Rielly problem.

Its
A) They signed Tavares and they did not need him
B) They caved in to Mitch Marner's absurd demands

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Maybe you’re lashing out because you didn’t do the math correctly which is okay.

I wouldn’t call him washed up, though.

He’s just not in the upper tier of D. This contract doesn’t put him there which is why it’s okay. Not amazing, and not a bargain, but fair.

I'm not saying he's washed up. I'm saying he will be washed up and getting paid $7.5m in about 6 years.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
This is a fair deal in my opinion. Mind you I don't watch the leafs (habs fan) much but he's home grown and his services would be in high demand. It may present a future cap problem but I'm sure that will get figured out in time.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
That's does almost cover it to be fair.

Honestly, Leafs are in a pretty decent cap situation for next year, with no bad contracts, some prospects who are on the cusp and most of the team signed.

5 million to fill in the gaps (plus potential cap increase).

Bunting - Matthews - Nylander
Kerfoot - Tavares - Marner
X - Kampf - X
Ritchie - X - Simmonds

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - X

Mrazek
X

RFAs - Kase, Engvall, Sandin, Liljegren

Likely resign Spezza at league minimum again.

Prospects who could be ready (most probably aren't) - SDA, Robertson, Amirov, Steeves, Anderson, Holmberg, Kral, Kokkonen.

Really Campbell should be a priority and then Liljegren/Sandin.

Not too worried about the cap structure, at least not next year.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
It's definitely a fair deal, good for him, good for the team. Anyone laughing about how much money they have tied up in 5 guys... that isn't a Rielly problem.

Its
A) They signed Tavares and they did not need him
B) They caved in to Mitch Marner's absurd demands

Uhh so Kerfoot would 2nd line center or Leafs have 2 #1 centers.

It was a no brainer to sign Tavares

Reactions: TML1990

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
I'm not saying he's washed up. I'm saying he will be washed up and getting paid $7.5m in about 6 years.

I see. What makes you think that?

A lot of times it’s mobility that hurts players in their latter years. There’s no sign yet of him slowing down that way and it’s pretty difficult to project that.

He doesn’t have an alarming history of injuries, and doesn’t get hit particularly often either so I don’t see that as an indication of him becoming washed up either.

In another 6-8 years that cap hit becomes less and less of a concern as the cap rises.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Solid and fair deal. Why could Marner and Matthews be signed to better deals? This won’t hurt the leafs. Reilly is a legit top4 defenseman.

As an isles fan though it makes the Pelech and Pulock deals even greater.
Pulocks deal is illegal. Seriously that is such a good signing, he makes one mil more than muzzin but is much better and younger

Reactions: SI90

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Congrats Leafs.

Good Deal! Cap hit right at MV, term might be slightly long by 1-2 years. Not much to criticize.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Great deal for Toronto. Glad to have him here and he clearly left money on the table.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Marner and Matthews were signed before the pandemic. Is that too hard a concept to understand?

Rielly’s career high = 72 points @ 7.5M
Pulock + Pelech COMBINED career high = 58 points @ 10.75M

Still feel good? Perhaps next time you will refrain from comparing completely different types of D. Pelech would be paid more than Reilly if he wasn’t absolutely useless at scoring.

the name of the game is defense. Pelech is a top2 if not the top shutdown Defenseman in the nhl.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
It's a good deal but one begins to wonder why the Leafs are sticking with all the same players when that recipe hasn't worked.

Probably because finding trading partners and signing FAs to the price you want is a lot harder than fans on message boards think.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
On face value, this isn't a bad contract at all. Reilly's offense should make him more expensive than Pelech or Pulock and closer to the value of, say, Spurgeon. The question I have, though, is when you put the Reilly contract next to Matthews, Marner, Tavares, and Nylander. Over half of your cap space to 5 players does not seem sustainable.
you could be right but pretty much the whole team is signed up for the next 2-3 years. the only one they really need to sign is campbell. thats where the tricky part is.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
As a leafs fan I don’t love it but I don’t hate it, kind of mutual.

Riley hasn’t been playing like a number one as of recent . I think if they can get him back on track this could be a steal of a deal .

the good thing is Dubas cut out all the drama that the toronto media would’ve created .

With the cap increasing 1.2M this off season you can look at this contract as 6.3M thats how im trying to look at it lol

and kessels contract comes off the books finally

Last edited:
Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad