Weekes: [TOR] G Joseph Woll to sign extension 7/1 (3 years, $3.5-4M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah ok. Picture this. Woll puts up a .920 sv% and plays 40-45 games. He is our starter in the playoffs and finishes with a .925. He is 1 year from UFA with arbitration rights.

Pop quiz, which happens?

A) He takes a reasonable contract

B) He lets arbitration happen and gets award this contract or better and is walked to UFA

C) Our media the entire season starts saying Woll is looking for 6M and how the Leafs are screwed and need to give it too him?

It is a combination of C and B FYI

Why would Woll get $6 million if he has a strong year like that? Gustavsson had that exact kind of year in 2022-2023, he finished with a .931 save% in 39 regular season games and a .925 save% in 5 playoff games for the Wild that year. He signed for 3 years at $3.75 million, which seems like the exact deal Woll is going to get here.

Gustavsson still had 2 RFA years left compared to 1 RFA year for Woll, so it's not a complete apples to apples comparison, but this idea that Woll would have cost $6 million to re-sign if he had a strong year in 2024-2025 isn't really based on anything.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Why would Woll get $6 million if he has a strong year like that? Gustavsson had that exact kind of year in 2022-2023, he finished with a .931 save% in 39 regular season games and a .925 save% in 5 playoff games for the Wild that year. He signed for 3 years at $3.75 million, which seems like the exact deal Woll is going to get here.

Gustavsson still had 2 RFA years left compared to 1 RFA year for Woll, so it's not a complete apples to apples comparison, but this idea that Woll would have cost $6 million to re-sign if he had a strong year in 2024-2025 isn't really based on anything.

IDK. Why would Marner get a higher payday than his comparables? Like I said, it's our market. There is a reason whether they stay or leave, guys generally get overpaid after player in Toronto.

Reactions: Bust

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Extension won't kick in for over a year. Theres a legitimate scenario where Woll starts 50 games this year and does well, in which case he'd be worth way more.

On the other hand, he could be poor or injured, but that's less likely.

It's more likely to start 50 games and does well? A bit of a gamble if those are expectations.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
You know the parade the leafs should have if they won it all. It's been the running joke since 1967.
Wow. I had never heard that from a Leaf fan. I thought fans of other teams had parades for every little thing while Toronto would have one if they won a championship. You learn something every day I guess.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Woll and this contract both have potential to be great for the Leafs. Can he stay healthy? We will see. Would have preferred a bit more of a show me contract personally but I am fine with it.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Wow. I had never heard that from a Leaf fan. I thought fans of other teams had parades for every little thing while Toronto would have one if they won a championship. You learn something every day I guess.
Guess you never heard of the leafs giving out division championship rings then.
No team has done that ever for winning half the games needed to win a cup.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Woll is as talented a goalie as there is in the league all you have to do to see that is watch games 5 and 6 VS Boston, those 2 games are great examples of what Joseph Woll can be.

But something needs to change with him, I don't know if it's his workout routine or what but he shouldn't be getting hurt on the shot that hurt him against Ottawa in November.

he should not be getting hurt on the shot at the end of game 6.

Those were both routine saves and he got injured can't do that, not on shots like those.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Well, Toronto had a parade for the 1993 team that lost in the finals.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Don't think he's the guy to solve their goaltending issues but maybe a decent backup or 1B

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
well, hope he can stay healthy

That's pretty much the extension Skinner got, with added cap inflation. A good bet to get him locked in at those numbers for 3 years, moderate risk high reward. Just don't sign the next Campbell to tandem with him, get a cheaper option.
thats a good idea, I just hope the GM will make a good decision. by the way. good luck tonight

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That’s a lot for a guy who hasn’t proven that he’s a starter or can stay healthy.
His heaviest workload so far is less than 30 games in a season.
I wonder if the plan is to sign or trade for another 1B guy for a similar price and hope one of them gets hot.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

The goalies at around this cap hit are largely an uninspiring bunch. Considering it doesn’t kick in for a year and where the cap is going, it really is not much money. More like high level backup pay.

If Woll takes over as the starter this season with even just a solid year, there’s no chance he’s taking this little. If he has a great year you’re talking $6M with the attention in this market and his age.

I criticize Tre a fair bit but this is a fine play. He has looked like an above average starter for the last two seasons whenever he’s had a sustained run of health. It’s a good gamble to potentially get their long term starter on a cheap deal. Downside is a slightly overpaid backup who is probably on LTIR anyways if he fails, opening up the cap space.

Last edited:

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
It's similar to Oettinger's deal, which makes it seem rich.

I do think Woll can be good, but the question marks about his health, combined with so little experience lead this to being an overpay IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad