Weekes: [TOR] G Joseph Woll to sign extension 7/1 (3 years, $3.5-4M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Treliving doesn’t know what he is doing
He is going to screw around with the coaches and goaltending until they run out of time

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Gross.

I am not sure he’s a starter yet, atleast not without a starter to play behind for another season or two.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Dumb if true.

I think Woll is good, and if he stays healthy can be really good, but he's the exact type of player you can really grind down on a contract.

Next to no track record, injury concerns, little leverage... you should be able to get him for 2 years at 2-2.5M. And for the Leafs over the next two seasons, every penny counts.

If you're giving him close to $4M, it should be a 5 year deal.

*Edit: Didn't realize this wouldn't kick in until after next season. That makes it better.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Giving Woll a $4 million AAV after he has played in 36 games in the NHL is....a choice, to put it lightly.

I think he's a solid goalie, but I really don't see why Toronto felt it necessary to give him this deal at this point. I feel like he could have had a good year playing 40 games next year and they could have gotten him to sign the same deal at that point.

I think he very likely ends up worth it, so it's not a problem, but I don't know why the Leafs felt it necessary to give him this deal right now.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I haven’t liked much that this Leaf management team has done the last few years.

But…I like this.

Cap is going up. His upside is obvious and at worst, this contract equals back up level.
Gives them one small piece solved, in a very complex set of moves to come.

Reactions: Lilou

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Only people doubting this are those who have no idea who he is and googled his stats IMO
He's looked solid so far, and the contract has all the potential to work out well. But he has very little leverage and a small sample size. Every cap dollar counts.

Reactions: dukeofjive

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
He's looked solid so far, and the contract has all the potential to work out well. But he has very little leverage and a small sample size. Every cap dollar counts.

That is why they are locking him down for Samsonov money before he gets 1 year at arbitration of this exact contract or higher walking him to UFA next summer

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I don't know a ton about Woll, but my first thoughts were that this was a mistake...

Goalies are kind of voodoo, they have hot and cold stretches, I wouldn't want to give a goalie with such minimal NHL experience a 3 year deal at that kind of cap hit. Why not give him a 1 year @ 1mil one-way prove it deal or something like that? He really hasn't done much to deserve more based on his stat sheet.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Most goalies nowadays become pumpkins, no matter how strong they started. This seems like too big of a commitment for a 40 game sample size.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I don't know a ton about Woll, but my first thoughts were that this was a mistake...

Goalies are kind of voodoo, they have hot and cold stretches, I wouldn't want to give a goalie with such minimal NHL experience a 3 year deal at that kind of cap hit. Why not give him a 1 year @ 1mil one-way prove it deal or something like that? He really hasn't done much to deserve more based on his stat sheet.

He's been pretty good when healthy, the problem is any time he gets on a roll he gets hurt. The talent is there though, look at his post season numbers over the 2 seasons he's played. Granted, we put him in when it was too late both times.

But it is risky when a guy who's 25 and already has a lot of injury history gets a 3 year deal. Like the guy pulled his back trying to make a diving save with 1 second left to try and keep the shut out vs the Bruins and missed game 7 for that.

Reactions: dukeofjive

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I think people are going to be shocked at how much players cost this offseason.

Gonna be a LOT more than people expect.

What are the reports?

this, Zadorov wanting 6x6, Lindholm 8 mill+. Basically every report about negotiations has had VERY high AAVs.

Reinhart and Guentzel are 100% going to break 8 figures.

People forget just how much it costs to win UFA bidding wars.

Reactions: Lilou

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

Woll is our Demko. Outstanding goalie, can he be healthy when we need him

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019

He’s shown flashes of brilliance

Last year he was solid until he got hurt, and never got his footing back

He’s been money in the playoffs every time he’s played though. He has like a .933 though it’s only 7 games.

We are probably making a gamble, that next year he plays 40-45 games at 750k and then he becomes the 50-55 game started on this contract.

We also probably didn’t want to do 1 yr 1m because we have faith he can do the above, and so we’d have to pay upwards of 5 after that

I’m hesitant to be so sure that this is the best option myself, but I guess it’s a wait and see approach for now as a fan

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Only people doubting this are those who have no idea who he is and googled his stats IMO
I disagree. Feels like the contract Woll would get at the end of next year if all goes well for him. I don't see any savings here by signing him now. Cap should be like $2.5m-$3m x 3 to sign early - based on limited sample size and injury history.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I disagree. Feels like the contract Woll would get at the end of next year if all goes well for him. I don't see any savings here by signing him now. Cap should be like $2.5m-$3m x 3 to sign early - based on limited sample size and injury history.

Yeah ok. Picture this. Woll puts up a .920 sv% and plays 40-45 games. He is our starter in the playoffs and finishes with a .925. He is 1 year from UFA with arbitration rights.

Pop quiz, which happens?

A) He takes a reasonable contract

B) He lets arbitration happen and gets award this contract or better and is walked to UFA

C) Our media the entire season starts saying Woll is looking for 6M and how the Leafs are screwed and need to give it too him?

It is a combination of C and B FYI

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Maples Leafs Hot Stove has an interesting column on the pros and cons of signing Woll at this time. (On the "pro" side, Leafs are buying two UFA years.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad