Weekes: [TOR] G Joseph Woll to sign extension 7/1 (3 years, $3.5-4M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Taking a gamble. If he continues on what he's shown and doesn't get hurt that's a solid contract for potentially 3 years.

With the rumoured interest in Brossoit, they're likely going with the winning goalie plays system and that might not be too bad.
L

Reactions: MisterT

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Not bad. But, I think I would have waited a little being that this is an extension. You can get a better idea when Woll starts the season as a starter, of course the risk is maybe you end up paying a little more..

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Very capable goalie. Always gets hurt though. If he could ever string together a stretch where he can stay 100%, I'd be way amped about this.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I like it. To me the risk of him being a lot more expensive next summer is more likely than him being a lot cheaper.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
This screams that he's the planned starter this year, so they lock him now because his value will only go up if he's got the #1 designation as a bargaining chip.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That's pretty much the extension Skinner got, with added cap inflation. A good bet to get him locked in at those numbers for 3 years, moderate risk high reward. Just don't sign the next Campbell to tandem with him, get a cheaper option.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I love it.

You love something the leafs did? We are shocked!

Both sides hedging their bets by signing early after such a small sample size.

Leafs concerned if he stays healthy and plays well, especially with the rising cap, that he'd cost ~4.5-5M+. Woll concerned if he's injured or inconsistent, that he'd only get ~$1.5-2.5M.

Yup, this. And overall, not a ton of risk/reward for either side. Seems like a good deal

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
He has the talent. Injuries are a major concern. Optimistic with what he can do with his new opportunity. Much prefer this and signing a backup plus a veteran 3rd than paying a 1st plus for a goalie. Seems Saros isn’t available, Ullmark wouldn’t waive for Toronto.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I wonder if the medical staff gave Tre the thumbs up that they could adjust Woll’s training and help him stay healthy

For a goalie as talented as Woll, the deal is fair. Maybe even cheap depending on the season he put up next year.

I believe Woll has what it takes to be the leafs number 1. I really like this guy

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Hoping for the best. The contract is fine, some injury concern early on in his career but he's proved he can play at a high level in high pressure games and doesn't seem to be bothered by the pressure of the Toronto fishbowl which is a big positive. I was in the camp of bringing in a top goalie if they could but that being said I hope he proves to everyone he's a legit 1G....

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I love it. Woll is clearly something. Worst case, with a near 100M cap when it kicks in that is the going rate for a backup goalie which he has already proven he is capable of being.

If he finds his potential, that is going to be such a massive boost to their cup chances having their starting goalie that cheap until he is 30. Basically the entire Matthews contract

His first two seasons in the AHL? Who gives a crap. He had a .927 his last season there, and followed that up with a .915 NHL sv% and a .933sv% in the playoffs over the last 2 seasons.

Sure not a lot of games, but this is clearly a legit goalie and not someone with 15 good games
The cap won't be a 100 million for another 3 years if all goes to plan, I wish it was sooner that's for sure
As for the deal itself there's nothing wrong with taking a gamble vs watching him potentially earning a bigger AAV if he he as a great season and establishes himself but at the same time this does seem like something that didn't need to get done until perhaps he showed a bit more?

Again not knocking the deal but would waiting 40 games just to see really have been a bad idea? I mean he's not shown he's a starter yet since he hasn't actually been a starter yet but if they feel confident then that's potentially a good get if he pans out. At worse that's high-end back up money

The only real issue is if he does become the guy locking him long term up after a bigger sample size would have been a good option too since in three years with the cap being close to a 100 million they will have to pay him based on the higher cap, opposed to signing him later on next year long term based on an 88 million cap.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
There’s definitely some risk there with that small sample size. Let’s not forget that he really struggled in his first two years in the AHL, I know that some goalies are late bloomers but it’s rare. There’s potential for that to end up a bad contract and cost an asset to get rid of but I don’t think there’s any options between the pipes that don’t come with risk.
…. He’s only really struggled to stay healthy.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
You know the parade the leafs should have if they won it all. It's been the running joke since 1967.
Yeah man people like you have been making the same overplayed joke since 1967. How about either be original or shut up

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I like Woll, but it's been kinda funny seeing all the big talk out of Toronto after the season slowly morph into just running it back.

"Toronto's #1 priority is to go after a big upgrade in net!"
1 month later re-sign Woll.

"Marner is done here, team is looking trade him for defense upgrade."
1 month later team is trying to re-sign Marner

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
While the Leafs' options are indeed limited, I suppose they could have waited to see how he does this season before extending.

I'm a huge Woll fan (both in terms of how much I like him and my own personal size). I think the talent is there but the injuries make this a bit of a gamble.

Not necessarily a full blown criticism, but I admit to being a bit worried.

Of course that works both ways and if he has an absolutely incredible season, they may have saved themselves some long term cash.

Goalies are so unpredictable but seeing as Ottawa doesn’t have one who is any good, I’d certainly take Woll at his contract over our current guys.

I still think Toronto needs a solid veteran back-up for the post-season. Can be a career back-up, but someone with a lot of experience that isn’t Samsonov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad