Weekes: [TOR] G Joseph Woll to sign extension 7/1 (3 years, $3.5-4M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Montembeault just signed for 3.1 and has better stats. Why are we saying this is a good deal. Guy should be getting no more than 3.25 per regardless of when the deal kicks in.

I like Woll but he at this point your paying a player that can’t stay healthy. That’s an issue for any player. Let alone one a pivotal player like a goalie. Look is it the end of the world? No but an extra 250-500k more per contract and things add up quickly on a team with not a lot of cap space.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Montembeault just signed for 3.1 and has better stats. Why are we saying this is a good deal. Guy should be getting no more than 3.25 per regardless of when the deal kicks in.

Career .898 guy has better stats than the .915 guy, okay

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
What are you talking about? The rally at City Hall? Not quite the same, but OK.

How much is your 'starter' making? You know...Jack Campbell?
Campbells regular season save percentage in Toronto is currently better than Woll regular season leafs numbers.
Think he can be a good goalie, but just doesn’t play enough, seems like Matt Murray for injuries.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Leafs putting the cart a bit before the horse. Woll has shown good promise, but the injuries for his early young career are some warning signs. His early trajectory feels like a Matt Murray/Freddy Andersen in terms of injuries. The estimated cap hit is projected to what Woll could do, but he has yet to do. I would have done a 2 year bridge deal as it would have been a win/win situation. At half the cap hit(giving him an increase more than double), Woll could prove he can stay healthy as the #1 goalie. If he were to do it, the numbers are good and he helps the Leafs in the playoffs, then he could have put himself in position for a longer term contract with a cap hit closer to $5 million per year. If the injuries continue or he doesn't meet the teams expectations, then this will be a bad contract.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
That's pretty much the extension Skinner got, with added cap inflation. A good bet to get him locked in at those numbers for 3 years, moderate risk high reward. Just don't sign the next Campbell to tandem with him, get a cheaper option.

Or Korpisalo.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
There’s definitely some risk there with that small sample size. Let’s not forget that he really struggled in his first two years in the AHL, I know that some goalies are late bloomers but it’s rare. There’s potential for that to end up a bad contract and cost an asset to get rid of but I don’t think there’s any options between the pipes that don’t come with risk.
The thing about this is that the Toronto market is really patient and full of grace when it comes to their goalies when they struggle.
It’s going to go very well

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Both sides hedging their bets by signing early after such a small sample size.

Leafs concerned if he stays healthy and plays well, especially with the rising cap, that he'd cost ~4.5-5M+. Woll concerned if he's injured or inconsistent, that he'd only get ~$1.5-2.5M.
you bury Jack Campbell in the minors for a year and everyone forgets he ever existed in the first place. Toronto is a fun team to watch in the offseason.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Tough contract to judge. Seems like an awful lot for a guy who doesn't seem able to play a full season's worth of games - or really even close to it. But...when he's healthy, that's a very fair value...maybe even great value.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
His first two seasons in the AHL? Who gives a crap. He had a .927 his last season there, and followed that up with a .915 NHL sv% and a .933sv% in the playoffs over the last 2 seasons.

Sure not a lot of games, but this is clearly a legit goalie and not someone with 15 good games
The reason I give a crap about the two bad seasons in the AHL is because I can’t think of a single example of a goalie who was bad for two years in the AHL and went on to become a good long term goalie in the NHL.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The reason I give a crap about the two bad seasons in the AHL is because I can’t think of a single example of a goalie who was bad for two years in the AHL and went on to become a good long term goalie in the NHL.

He wasn't bad, he was constantly injured

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Yeah he had a bad stretch coming back from missing 2 months and a high ankle sprain that impacted those numbers. When he is healthy he is legit.

Not a rookie anymore.
He has played 40ish games total. Its not crazy but it seems a lot to me.

Anyways that was step 1, next is 2-3 upgrades on defense and a tandem partner for Woll.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
There’s definitely some risk there with that small sample size. Let’s not forget that he really struggled in his first two years in the AHL, I know that some goalies are late bloomers but it’s rare. There’s potential for that to end up a bad contract and cost an asset to get rid of but I don’t think there’s any options between the pipes that don’t come with risk.
I mean they weren't great for sure but its unfair to the kid that you don't mention the significant improvements in each of his 4 years in the AHL as he gained experience.

I think this deal is too much for 40 games of service but its not crazy and easy enough to move if necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad