Confirmed with Link: [TOR/FLA] Denis Malgin for Mason Marchment

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
they might have taken a flyer on him with AJ out but if he was any help why wouldn't Florida just keep him ?

and it really doesn't matter if he gets in the lineup since Marchment isn't an NHLer anyway

Come on man, you can say the same thing about most players traded...

The idea of a "reclamation project" is hardly a new thing...

L

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Does he know how to forecheck and play D or skilled guy that doesn’t score?

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Most are saying Marchment is an AHLer

Dubas trades AHL player for NHL player and still gets roasted.

Some people never change their narrative.
That's because he's a dick.

Actually he seems like a really nice guy. Just a shockingly shit NHL GM.

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
Describe what the inside of the gym looks like. Eat a meal not from Chipotle's.
Are you implying he’s a lazy, chubby cheeks mammas boy?

Imagine the kind of player Marner would be if he weren’t a relentless pick hound..He’d be a lazy, diminutive one-dimensional playmaker like Bracco.

Our team is already lazy enough. They all need to be on TRT. Bunch of boys playing in a men’s league.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Good trade. Not going to move the needle overly much, but it still makes us better, and our chief competition, Florida, worse, in an important stretch.

Marchment (b.1995), has 4 games of NHL experience where he didn't look particularly good. While probably our #1 call-up option, and a late bloomer, he has a history of injury problems, and at the end of the day, didn't look like an impact NHL player, even on a 4th line, despite being an excellent AHLer. We dealt him in the midst of a hot streak, and probably his peak value.

Malgin (b. 1997), is two years younger but has 180 more games of NHL experience. His play driving has always been solid, especially on the defensive side (take a look at HockeyViz.com's isolated impact charts). He's a very solid transition player with lots of speed. He's had a poor PDO this season, but is usually good for 25-30 points per 82 games, despite never getting much of a chance with skilled players on the Panthers.

The Leafs got a younger upcoming RFA, with more experience, skill, and defensive aptitude, who can immediately slot into our struggling bottom six, something that was supposed to be a strength, but has been sleeping for the past month and a bit. Can't really see any reason to be upset about this trade, except for a personal attachment to Marchment & his underdog story - but we got the better, younger player here.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
It seems strange to be trading with the team that we're in highest competition with-- regardless of the quality. Doesn't it?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I misworded myself. If he ends up being a hyman clone for the bottom 6 then its a homerun.

oh for sure, if any player turns into a hyman clone its a homerun. Even if Nick Robertson suddenly stopped scoring so well and became a hyman clone it'd be a homerun.

If hindsight were available Hyman would have to go 1st round in his draft wouldnt he? this coming from a poster who didnt rate him in his 1st season, and yes the crow was delicious

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
PPG player in the AHL. Only 23. Played with Matthews in Zurich. I'll take it.
Maybe a Kerfoot replacement?

Reactions: ITM

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Bracco honestly makes me sick, and has for a while. He's just like players like Ho-Sang and Schremp. Not in being outspoken or anything, or their social personalities. But they're players who were told right from the draft exactly...EXACTLY what they needed to work on to take that next step, and they just ignored it all. A lot of players don't make it because they take those instructions and simply fail...they try to work on their skating, they try to get bigger...but it's just not enough. These players just actively ignore the advice they're given as if they know better.

Take one look at Bracco's face and body and tell me he spends time in the gym. This isn't a Kessel scenario where it might partly be genetics. Bracco is the definition of skinny fat and bad eating. No muscle on that body and a double chin moon face.

Every year he's been told to work on and improve the saaaame things, and every year he does the opposite.
Bracco's work ethic has always been questionable at best. I know people around the OHL weren't particularly impressed by him or Mascherin's work ethic when they were in Kitchener. It's a major reason despite crazy USNTDP counting stats he slipped into the late 2nd. I think I remember a quote around the time of the draft from a scout who was astonished someone at the USNTDP could be out of shape.

There are a bunch of guys who fail to make it because they tend to work on what they are already strong at, and don't like to put in work to fix their weaknesses. Some guys are so good, they can get away with it (although, that is disappearing at the NHL becomes a year-round job training-wise).

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Are you implying he’s a lazy, chubby cheeks mammas boy?

Imagine the kind of player Marner would be if he weren’t a relentless pick hound..He’d be a lazy, diminutive one-dimensional playmaker like Bracco.

Our team is already lazy enough. They all need to be on TRT. Bunch of boys playing in a men’s league.

No I'm saying he doesn't work out enough and he eats Chipotle every day. No hidden meaning. Him and Rich Clune (his roommate) are my sources....pretty iron clad really.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
That's because he's a dick.

Actually he seems like a really nice guy. Just a shockingly shit NHL GM.

Ha okay.

No narrative behind that post whatsoever.

We get it people will never like Dubas, but how could you possibly whine about this trade.

Just shows how much people dont judge based on actual information, just bias.

Reactions: kb

Northofyu

Nov 12, 2018
you'd say no to Quinn Hughes? or cale makar? becasue height and weight?

Kinda guessing they're not available, but like others think our pressing long term need is for a Defensive D who's sound in our own end. Unlike Barrie for eg. who we can't afford anyway.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I don't dislike the trade, but really hope it's a precursor to a forward being shipped out or some other move because utilizing dwindling time on this nothing burger of a trade would be questionable at best

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
No I'm saying he doesn't work out enough and he eats Chipotle every day. No hidden meaning. Him and Rich Clune (his roommate) are my sources....pretty iron clad really.
I know, I was going along with it to shit on Bracco because I don’t like him as a prospect and can’t ever see him making the team as he doesn’t seem willing to put in the work to address his big weaknesses. Guess he’s a decent trade piece for some chump GM.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Maybe this is a Leivo like trade? Where Marchment wasn't getting on to the big team and Dubas did him a favour
No because in that case Leivo was a 3rd line NHL player sitting in the press box who deserved to be playing every night, and we acquired an AHLer with limited upside for him (Carcone).

In this case, Marchment has been given a shot, but hasn't proven himself to be a reliable, impactful 4th line NHLer, despite stellar AHL play, and we acquired a younger, more proven, 25-30 point, defensively sound 3/4C for him. Not super comparable in my opinion. Marchment has been given every opportunity to succeed by this organization.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I know, I was going along with it to shit on Bracco because I don’t like him as a prospect and can’t ever see him making the team as he doesn’t seem willing to put in the work to address his big weaknesses. Guess he’s a decent trade piece for some chump GM.

Ah ok sorry I misunderstood I thought you were calling me out. All good.

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
Its also interesting how Dubas has now traded both of his successful 'longshots' in Moore and Marchment. Neither was ever supposed to even get a sniff of the NHL and now both were desired enough by other teams to trade for them.

I'm not a fan of everything Dubas does but his talent evaluation is good and I'm sure that if he was still running the Marlies he'd be unearthing more 'longshots'.

Reactions: ITM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad