Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I actually don’t care who or where he signed. I am more interested in how Matthews and his agent negotiated with a franchise in this case the Leafs to have him paid essentially what McDavid is paid while not being on the same tier as Mcdavid by out negotiating Dubas to a 5 year deal when players like Eichel and Mcdavid were signing 8 year deals. You do the math 13.64 x 5 + 13.25 x 3(4) = 12.20M cap hit when Mcdavid’s 8 year deal expires. One can argue Matthews and his Agents were masterful in negotiations. They managed to get the Leafs to pay Matthews Mcdavid money when Mcdavid has no peers in the NHL most agree.

This is a mediocre way to spin things IMO.

Its rare for the best player in the league to be making a lot more than everyone else. Or for them to even be the highest paid.

In 2009 the top 5 highest paid were Heatley, Ovy, Sid, Kipper and a bunch of guys tied for 5th (Gomez, Briere, Vanek to name a few). 2010 the highest paid were Lecavalier, Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin and Drury.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
This is a mediocre way to spin things IMO.

Its rare for the best player in the league to be making a lot more than everyone else. Or for them to even be the highest paid.

In 2009 the top 5 highest paid were Heatley, Ovy, Sid, Kipper and a bunch of guys tied for 5th (Gomez, Briere, Vanek to name a few). 2010 the highest paid were Lecavalier, Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin and Drury.
Why we comparing him to Eichel ? The difference between Matthews and Eichel is about as large as the chasm between Matthews and Mcdavid ( whole other tiers, all 3 ) .

Reactions: Voight

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Rockets , Lindsay and Hart Trophy no good ?
Not one of the top 2 players in the league. You might argue top 5 in the regular season.

He's right up there with Hyman in playoff scoring over that period with 20 points. Meanwhile Kucherov has 93 points and a Cup, McKinnon 64 points and a Cup, Makar 54 points and a Cup. McDavid scored 1.92ppg, Drai 1.79ppg.

A lot of Matthews fans want to hide behind his goal scoring to justify him but at the end of the day when your team is down 3-2 in an elimination playoff game no one cares if Matthews gets a goal or an assist just as long as the team scores. A great player for sure. Top 2, not in my books.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Why we comparing him to Eichel ? The difference between Matthews and Eichel is about as large as the chasm between Matthews and Mcdavid ( whole other tiers, all 3 ) .
Eichel did put up more points in the playoffs last year than Matthews had in his last 3 year's combined.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Eichel did put up more points in the playoffs last year than Matthews had in his last 3 year's combined.
Tends to happen for teams that go on deep runs . But he was hardly driving the bus . What was he ? Their 3 rd best forward ? They aren’t comparable players /talents . The fact you need to resort to this minute sample is extremely telling .

Reactions: Voight and The90

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Not one of the top 2 players in the league. You might argue top 5 in the regular season.

He's right up there with Hyman in playoff scoring over that period with 20 points. Meanwhile Kucherov has 93 points and a Cup, McKinnon 64 points and a Cup, Makar 54 points and a Cup. McDavid scored 1.92ppg, Drai 1.79ppg.

A lot of Matthews fans want to hide behind his goal scoring to justify him but at the end of the day when your team is down 3-2 in an elimination playoff game no one cares if Matthews gets a goal or an assist just as long as the team scores. A great player for sure. Top 2, not in my books.
Playing on stacked teams that pile up the points /gp certainly helps ( Avs /Tampa ). Drai and Mcdavid give up about as many goals as they produce in the playoffs no ? Anyone other than Mcdavid can fill out the top 2 to 10 In any given season imo

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Ever in the top 3 for Art Ross?
1693773838824.jpeg

Live look at you shifting the goalposts

Reactions: AvroArrow

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
Playing on stacked teams that pile up the points /gp certainly helps ( Avs /Tampa ). Drai and Mcdavid give up about as many goals as they produce in the playoffs no ? Anyone other than Mcdavid can fill out the top 2 to 10 In any given season imo
Draisaitl has been on for 43 GF and 42 GA - 50.6% +1
McDavid has been on for 49 GF and 39 GA - 55.7% +10
Matthews has been on 21 GF and 16 GA - 56.8% +5

Also take goaltending into account

In BIG games, I take the top 2 guys on this list.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Draisaitl has been on for 43 GF and 42 GA - 50.6% +1
McDavid has been on for 49 GF and 39 GA - 55.7% +10
Matthews has been on 21 GF and 16 GA - 56.8% +5

Also take goaltending into account

In BIG games, I take the top 2 guys on this list.
What’s the gp difference ? Thank you for posting the raw stats ( effectively confirms my comment ) .

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Tends to happen for teams that go on deep runs . But he was hardly driving the bus . What was he ? Their 3 rd best forward ? They aren’t comparable players /talents . The fact you need to resort to this minute sample is extremely telling .
Eichel also did it in less games.

3 years of Matthews isn't enough of a sample? Those were probably his best 3 years.

Matĥews sure wasn't driving the bus for his big anchor of a contract. Now he gets a raise.

I'll take Eichel and $3.25m all day. I'll bet they score at near the same rate next year and going forward in the regular season. We know Eichel will be better than Matthews in the playoffs.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Must suck for Matthews to play with such garbage like Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Reilly. What a terrible team that finishes top 5 in the league poor Matthews clearly has nothing to work with.

It's down right comical that you blame literally everyone but him. But that's what the Leafs and their media feed you so you regurgitate the same non sense. It's Babcock's fault, it's Kadri's fault, It's Anderssen's fault, it's Marner's fault, they got a lot of respect in the hand shake line, its not the stars where is the supporting cast? Matthews and his giant contract just get a pass every year. Why would the highest paid player on the team have any responsibility to perform?

At the end of the day when you are making Matthews money you can't blame your team. It's on you especially when you make Matthews money.

View attachment 740772
Live look at you shifting the goalposts
How? Show me where I started and where I moved to?

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Where did he finish for the Art Ross?
He's 4th in total points during that timeframe with his peak season having him 2nd in PPG behind McDavid

It's not like his point production falls off some cliff, he's up there in production too
I keep seeing this argument from Leafs fans but it’s so misleading. Everybody in sports has a price. The Leafs essentially gave Matthews a bridge deal while also making him the highest paid player in the league. Why would any player turn that down? He has a chance to break the bank on yet another deal wherever he wants on an over 30 contract now thanks to the Leafs. There’s nothing wrong with being happy Matthews will be there for the next few years, but don’t make it out like he’s doing some knoble and loyal thing that just about any other team in the league could do if they have deep enough pockets. The Leafs simply pulled out a black cheque and made it too good for him to leave.
You don't think he could have got that from anyone else? A 26 year old Matthews hitting UFA next year could easily command and get 14 million on the same term

He wanted money yes, but he could likely get the money elsewhere too. Toronto just presented the best overall destination for him right now

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
He's 4th in total points during that timeframe with his peak season having him 2nd in PPG behind McDavid

It's not like his point production falls off some cliff, he's up there in production too

You don't think he could have got that from anyone else? A 26 year old Matthews hitting UFA next year could easily command and get 14 million on the same term

He wanted money yes, but he could likely get the money elsewhere too. Toronto just presented the best overall destination for him right now
B b b b but the PACE!!!!!

You don't get point you don't score.

Yes, much like Tavares, Matthews might be able to find someone who would pay him more. That doesn't make it a good contract.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005

There aren't that many teams who could or would offer him 14 millions.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
B b b b but the PACE!!!!!

You don't get point you don't score.
4th in raw points during that timeframe, by far 1st in goals, MVP, Lindsay, 2x Rocket, 1st team NHL, 2nd team NHL

That's legit production. To act like he wasn't "close to 2nd" during that timeframe is just wrong, regardless of if you may prefer someone like Drai or Mackinnon for the 2nd spot

There aren't that many teams who could or would offer him 14 millions.
I disagree, teams would find the cap to sign a 26 year old AM34

Hell, everyone was lining up for Tavares back in 2019 and he wasn't close to AM34s level

Reactions: The90

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
4th in raw points during that timeframe, by far 1st in goals, MVP, Lindsay, 2x Rocket, 1st team NHL, 2nd team NHL

That's legit production. To act like he wasn't "close to 2nd" during that timeframe is just wrong, regardless of if you may prefer someone like Drai or Mackinnon for the 2nd spot
How do the playoffs look? You know, the stated goal for both Matthews and the Leafs.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I disagree, teams would find the cap to sign a 26 year old AM34

Hell, everyone was lining up for Tavares back in 2019 and he wasn't close to AM34s level
...Everyone?
Some evidence would be required here. And that part relates to Tavares, for the dude below who's just slowing the group as usual.

Disclaimer : As far as I'm concerned, the deal Matthews just signed is probably both the safest deal and the best deal for everyone involved. Everyone, and especially his agent, knew that. Because he wasn't getting 13M from many teams. Conversely, Toronto was, by quite a margin, the better placed team to offer him such a deal.

Reactions: Laus723

The90

Feb 27, 2017
...Everyone?
Some evidence would be required here.
He’s top 5-7 in both goals and points since he entered the league. Unless you already had crosby / Malkin, yes. Pretty much everyone. Including the Habs who he wouldn’t take a meeting with.

How do the playoffs look? You know, the stated goal for both Matthews and the Leafs.
Why is this so near and dear to your heart? Matthews had a down year last year, no question. The previous 2 seasons he was at worst the fourth best player in the league as high as 2. He was also PPG in the playoffs. It’s a garbage argument that you’re trying to put up.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
He’s top 5-7 in both goals and points since he entered the league. Unless you already had crosby / Malkin, yes. Pretty much everyone. Including the Habs who he wouldn’t take a meeting with.
Your opinion is duly noted.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012

Why is this so near and dear to your heart? Matthews had a down year last year, no question. The previous 2 seasons he was at worst the fourth best player in the league as high as 2. He was also PPG in the playoffs. It’s a garbage argument that you’re trying to put up.
Hockey is my favorite sport it's very near and dear to my heart. What does it matter? If you don't want to talk about it then you're in the wrong place my friend.

Playoffs don't matter now? Maybe to you.

I'm also waiting for you to show me moving the goal posts. Is it because you don't know what the phrase means? Or did it just not happen?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad