Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Reactions: Voight

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Well then you should tell your union rep that you shouldn’t get a raise. Players will get raises year after year. That’s how life works. It’s pretty simple. We leafs fans might not how much he’s getting but contracts will go up. He’s an elite talent.
It's funny how the Leafs fans who like his contract the most understand it the least.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Doesn't matter if Matthews is better than McDavid. His contract was up. Dak Prescott was never the best QB in the league but he was the highest paid for a minute when his contract was up. Doesn't mean shit in and of itself. It's a benchmark for future deals, that's what's important.

Reactions: Lilou and The90

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Doesn't matter if Matthews is better than McDavid. His contract was up. Dak Prescott was never the best QB in the league but he was the highest paid for a minute when his contract was up. Doesn't mean shit in and of itself. It's a benchmark for future deals, that's what's important.
A hard concept to understand it seems. Just wish it were 8 years. But, at the same time, from a risk standpoint it could work out ok so who knows.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
A hard concept to understand it seems. Just wish it were 8 years. But, at the same time, from a risk standpoint it could work out ok so who knows.
Why do you wish it was 8 years?

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
I’m so glad it wasn’t for 8 years. Do not want to be still paying him big money when he’s in his 30’s. Besides, if we still haven’t won anything in that time frame, then we need to start a new plan.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
The Pigman took the Leaves to the woodshed. At the same point with his wrist problems and soft play, the four year deal could be a blessing in disguise. Treliving got hired too late to deal the Pigman so it’s hard to level much criticism at him. Goggles was the guy who allowed Marner and Mathews to dictate their last contracts so he is ultimately the guy to blame.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Why do you think he's going to leave and not extend again?
I think he’ll want to get his biggest payday on his next contract, as that will be his last chance to get a big contract. Whoever is willing to pay him, that’s where I think he’ll go. Hopefully it won’t be the Leafs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well then you should tell your union rep that you shouldn’t get a raise. Players will get raises year after year. That’s how life works. It’s pretty simple. We leafs fans might not like how much he’s getting but contracts will go up. He’s an elite talent.
I wish you could explain this to some of your fellow Leaf fans who think I'm making wild assumptions to assume Matthews will be asking for more than $13.25 million when this new deal expires.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Well then you should tell your union rep that you shouldn’t get a raise. Players will get raises year after year. That’s how life works. It’s pretty simple. We leafs fans might not like how much he’s getting but contracts will go up. He’s an elite talent.
This would definitely make more sense if he signed for 6+ seasons...

There's going to be 3 seasons where he's making more money than McDavid, and the 2 seasons he won't be his contract will be up to cash in again.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It’s been posted ad nauseam on this site for over half a decade. Many also said he would bolt to an American team as soon as he could. Looks like they were all wrong
I keep seeing this argument from Leafs fans but it’s so misleading. Everybody in sports has a price. The Leafs essentially gave Matthews a bridge deal while also making him the highest paid player in the league. Why would any player turn that down? He has a chance to break the bank on yet another deal wherever he wants on an over 30 contract now thanks to the Leafs. There’s nothing wrong with being happy Matthews will be there for the next few years, but don’t make it out like he’s doing some knoble and loyal thing that just about any other team in the league could do if they have deep enough pockets. The Leafs simply pulled out a black cheque and made it too good for him to leave.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I’ll say it again. Win for Canada.
Can be a leaf hating Canadian all you want - but let’s hope we can all keep these stud Americans north of the border. With the rising cap (and popularity) , there’s gunna be lots more coming to the league.

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
What was the injury? Is he back to 100%? I havent heard anything about an injury this offseason
He had a wrist and lower back injury he was playing through. The lower back was believed to be minor, but the wrist injury was visibly causing him issues shooting the puck.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Matthews has never been close to #2 over a 3 season stretch.
That's a very arbitrary timeline and also not really true

From 19-20 to 21-22 (3 seasons) Matthews did the following:
1 MVP (1x runner up)
1 Lindsay (1x finalist)
2 Rockets (runner up by 1 goal the other year)
1 1st team all NHL
1 2nd team all NHL

At the very least, he was "close" to #2 during this run

Reactions: Byron Bitz

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
That's a very arbitrary timeline and also not really true

From 19-20 to 21-22 (3 seasons) Matthews did the following:
1 MVP (1x runner up)
1 Lindsay (1x finalist)
2 Rockets (runner up by 1 goal the other year)
1 1st team all NHL
1 2nd team all NHL

At the very least, he was "close" to #2 during this run
Where did he finish for the Art Ross?

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I’ll say it again. Win for Canada.
Can be a leaf hating Canadian all you want - but let’s hope we can all keep these stud Americans north of the border. With the rising cap (and popularity) , there’s gunna be lots more coming to the league.
Err, the record is not too great recently with the likes of Tkachuk and Debrincat specifically wanting out of Canada.

Matthews staying shouldn't be all that surprising. He's one of the league's elite in Canada's biggest market and was offered the top salary in the league for half the term maximum. Add in his sponsorships that aren't really available to most, outside top names, (Not to this degree, anyways) and he stands to make $17M+/year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad