Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
Matthews lost parts of 2 seasons to Covid.

At 25 years old matthess had 299 goals. Ovy had 301.
I think Matthews had played about 7 more games? They have very comparable raw numbers.

Also. Until 25 this is untrue.

Ovy played in the highest scoring seasons post lockout. He also started at 20
Both lead the league in goals twice.
Of course I personally don’t believe that Matthews will age like ovy at all. I am not predicting 800 goals. Heck 600 would be crazy. But Matthews is the best goal scorer in the game for his first 7 years in the NHL. That is an incredibly rare thing.

Plus he is a dominant defensively responsible 2 way c.

Ovy is generational. Matthewss may not be that. But he is keeping up with the best goal scorer who ever lived.
There is only 1 generational player in the NHL ATM

Here's the complete list of players in NHL history with five Art Ross Trophies, three Hart Memorial Trophies, four Ted Lindsay Awards and six 100-point seasons by age 26.

1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Connor McDavid

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
You literally make zero sense.

If McDavid resigns in Edmonton, it means he doesn't care about winning a cup?

Matthews resigned in Toronto, which means?

Leafs have won 1 playoff series since he's been there, and it's well advertised the last time the Leafs won the cup.

Your hypocrisy is really showing
You are talking to a person who wrote *DX chop* at the end of their post lol.

That garbage like Hyman, RNH outproduced Matthews, never mind the 2 big dawgs who lap him lol. Kane probably would have too if he didn't get injured so long.

That's a lot of sh** McDavid is hauling up a hill......

I think Toronto did well here for where they were. Matthews is 100% about $$. Bad optics from him. Why would they want a guy at 8 years that produces LESS when crunch time comes and the big stage is there? He has shown that he cannot handle the pressure of the playoffs thus far.

Reactions: TheNumber4

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Dude is gonna look back once he’s done playing and wonder why he never won a cup when his contract demands saw his team continually got worse further and further into his career.

Rest of the leafs big 3 will demand even more when their contracts are up over the next 2 seasons and that is how the team dies lol

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
So it is McDavid's fault that Matthews cannot elevate his teams PP?
PP goals don’t count, no matter how consistent the contribution is to the team.

Maybe he should check the even strength goals between the two….wait McDavid had one less goal at even than Matthews had in total Last year.

Matthews has the best agent in the world to get Matthews McDavid money.

Last edited:

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010

Maybe he should check the even strength goals between the two….wait McDavid had one less goal at even than Matthews had in total Last year.

Since Matthews entered the league no player has scored more 5 on 5 goals than Auston

Reactions: LeafsNation75

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Since Matthews entered the league no player has scored more 5 on 5 goals than Auston
Haha, start looking forward. A lot of Leafs fans seem to be thinking hes going to be cooked within 4 years.

How does he do in points? I get it Auston “Me First” Matthews needs his regular season accolades all but it would be nice if he was a team guy for all that money.

Mar 12, 2009
Is this the final nail in the coffin for Arizona? A lot of people said he would go home and it could save the team now and long term.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Matthews lost parts of 2 seasons to Covid.

At 25 years old matthess had 299 goals. Ovy had 301.
I think Matthews had played about 7 more games? They have very comparable raw numbers.

Also. Until 25 this is untrue.

Ovy played in the highest scoring seasons post lockout. He also started at 20
Both lead the league in goals twice.
Of course I personally don’t believe that Matthews will age like ovy at all. I am not predicting 800 goals. Heck 600 would be crazy. But Matthews is the best goal scorer in the game for his first 7 years in the NHL. That is an incredibly rare thing.

Plus he is a dominant defensively responsible 2 way c.

Ovy is generational. Matthewss may not be that. But he is keeping up with the best goal scorer who ever lived.

To be fair Matthews is also playing in a highly offensive era of the NHL. Dominant defensively is a reach. Impactful, yes. Overrated by some Toronto fans and media seeking narratives, absolutely.

Closer to top 10 than top 3.

Reactions: TS Quint

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He’s about 1.5% less in caphit%… when mcdavid signed it was 16.6% of cap and Matthews is 15.1%, so about 10% less.
Mcdavid signed his deal 6 freaking years ago.
Where are you getting your percentages? Capfriendly has Matthews' new deal as 15.87% of the cap.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
To be fair Matthews is also playing in a highly offensive era of the NHL. Dominant defensively is a reach. Impactful, yes. Overrated by some Toronto fans and media seeking narratives, absolutely.

Closer to top 10 than top 3.
You in particular constantly underrate him. Last year he was closer to 10. The previous 3, he was closer to 2. The year he won the Lindsay he was 2 no question. That was a year ago. Closer to 10 because of 1 year is a joke.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
You in particular constantly underrate him. Last year he was closer to 10. The previous 3, he was closer to 2. The year he won the Lindsay he was 2 no question. That was a year ago. Closer to 10 because of 1 year is a joke.
That 1 year was last year. He doesnt have the same shot or skating now for whatever reason.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

Matthews and McDavid have the same agent now.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Matthews has never been close to #2 over a 3 season stretch.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Why only 4 years?
He takes care of his future now and still gets a chance to cash in or basically go to any team he wants as he will still be in his prime when the current contract runs out. Smart move by Matthews. Ok deal for the Leafs too--they have a 5-year-window to win.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
If Matthews shouldnt be compared to McDavid he shouldn’t be getting McDavid money.
Well then you should tell your union rep that you shouldn’t get a raise. Players will get raises year after year. That’s how life works. It’s pretty simple. We leafs fans might not like how much he’s getting but contracts will go up. He’s an elite talent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad