Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I’ll say it again. Win for Canada.
Can be a leaf hating Canadian all you want - but let’s hope we can all keep these stud Americans north of the border. With the rising cap (and popularity) , there’s gunna be lots more coming to the league.
Do you guys really feel so inferior ? The *cry for canada* shtick is getting really old.

Build something special and more players will come , Canada has been ran by dog meat owners/GM's for quite a while.

Blame the taxes tho.

It sickens me , take some accountability for your franchises woes.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Matthews after hearing he’ll get $104 million in signing bonuses from his current contract and this contract
IMG_7110.jpeg

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
It’s also your opinion. One is reasonable. One is angry he didn’t take a meeting with their team.

Lol
These are the replies you give.... nothing hockey related just snark.

I'd just like to see you explain yourself. When did I move the goal posts? Maybe I can explain or help you understand. Maybe it was just more snark. Maybe you don't know what the term means. Maybe it never happened. Maybe we will never know.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
These are the replies you give.... nothing hockey related just snark.

I'd just like to see you explain yourself. When did I move the goal posts? Maybe I can explain or help you understand. Maybe it was just more snark. Maybe you don't know what the term means. Maybe it never happened. Maybe we will never know.
Yeah. They are. Because there’s no reasoning with someone being unreasonable lol

It’s all good man. You do you. You tried the points / hart argument, then pivoted to playoffs. It’s wack a mole of garbage excuses. Love or hate Matthews or the leafs in general, it’s silly to say he was not an absolute beast those 2 years as well as at worst 4th best in the league and as high as 2. He sat games down the stretch, but before that he was a handful of points from mcdavid with 60 goals in 73 games. No matter how much posturing and ‘la la la I can’t hear you, no no no’ you plug your ears with, anyone who’s being honest knows it’s flat wrong.

He won the Lindsay for goodness sakes. That’s literally his peers voting on that. That’s it. That’s the end of the argument.

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Yeah. They are. Because there’s no reasoning with someone being unreasonable lol

It’s all good man. You do you. You tried the points / hart argument, then pivoted to playoffs. It’s wack a mole of garbage excuses. Love or hate Matthews or the leafs in general, it’s silly to say he was not an absolute beast those 2 years as well as at worst 4th best in the league and as high as 2. He sat games down the stretch, but before that he was a handful of points from mcdavid with 60 goals in 73 games. No matter how much posturing and ‘la la la I can’t hear you, no no no’ you plug your ears with, anyone who’s being honest knows it’s flat wrong.

He won the Lindsay for goodness sakes. That’s literally his peers voting on that. That’s it. That’s the end of the argument.
You don't like me bringing up facts. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
You don't like me bringing up facts. I'm sorry you had to go through that.
There’s literally no facts that you brought up, that I care/ were influenced with in the slightest. I apologize if I gave you the impression I considered your opinion at all over that of the literal peers that voted Matthews as the best player. Your opinion vs theirs is unfortunately no contest no matter how many times you want to reshape the argument.

• Haha
Reactions: Voight and Laus723

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
That's a very arbitrary timeline and also not really true

From 19-20 to 21-22 (3 seasons) Matthews did the following:
1 MVP (1x runner up)
1 Lindsay (1x finalist)
2 Rockets (runner up by 1 goal the other year)
1 1st team all NHL
1 2nd team all NHL

At the very least, he was "close" to #2 during this run
Arbitrary in that it was specifically cited by the Leafs fan. Sell as much as desired but a reach to label Matthews ever as a top two player in the NHL at any point.

He has more to prove to warrant it.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I like how everybody was so sure he was leaving despite literally EVERY SINGLE credible report saying that he was staying.

The only people that said he wasn't was Brian Burke, and he said that just after the last deal was signed he couldn't have known when Matthews had just signed a 5 year deal.

And Eric Francis, who covers the Calgary Flames what could he possibly know about the Leafs?.

EVERYBODY with credibility said he was staying.

Now that he has the narrative is "he didn't give the full 8 years"

Good chances are at 34 you won't want Matthews at 13+ million.

But at 26-31? Damn right you do.

Reactions: Voight

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Is this the final nail in the coffin for Arizona? A lot of people said he would go home and it could save the team now and long term.

Playing along, it would take roughly the next 4-5 years for Arizona to build a new arena and set up a team that would benefit Matthews. Coincidence?

Meanwhile Matthews makes top bank and gets to suckle on the teats of the largest endorsement market in the NHL for 5 more years.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Playing along, it would take roughly the next 4-5 years for Arizona to build a new arena and set up a team that would benefit Matthews. Coincidence?

Meanwhile Matthews makes top bank and gets to suckle on the teats of the largest endorsement market in the NHL for 5 more years.
He will be re-eligible to choose free agency again in 5 years.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Arbitrary in that it was specifically cited by the Leafs fan. Sell as much as desired but a reach to label Matthews ever as a top two player in the NHL at any point.

He has more to prove to warrant it.

The voting committee and his peers labeled him #1 for one year though...

More wishful thinking from a "fan" who doesn't have a good team to cheer for

Mar 12, 2009

Houston is more likely to be set up and competitive in 5 years than Arizona resurrecting their franchise. Expansion teams are lapping them within a couple years of existence lol. The arena and the rest of your scenario is a pipe dream until shovel hits dirt (or dust given the water situation that continues to get worse).
Maybe he would be fine going to a dead market in his 30s after living in and enjoying the spotlight for a decade+ (not everyone does, he seems to for whatever reason). I don't think 30+ Matthews is going to save the Coyote's though the way a 26-27 Matthews for 5-6 years could potentially (still don't think he would have saved them had he bolted next year).
If we have no success over the next 5 years, I wouldn't blame him for leaving. Unlikely we will win with him on his next contract if we've squandered him in his best years. We'll have had him for his prime which was not a guarantee after the previous contract that ended in UFA.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Houston is more likely to be set up and competitive in 5 years than Arizona resurrecting their franchise. Expansion teams are lapping them within a couple years of existence lol. The arena and the rest of your scenario is a pipe dream until shovel hits dirt (or dust given the water situation that continues to get worse).
Maybe he would be fine going to a dead market in his 30s after living in and enjoying the spotlight for a decade+ (not everyone does, he seems to for whatever reason). I don't think 30+ Matthews is going to save the Coyote's though the way a 26-27 Matthews for 5-6 years could potentially (still don't think he would have saved them had he bolted next year).
If we have no success over the next 5 years, I wouldn't blame him for leaving. Unlikely we will win with him on his next contract if we've squandered him in his best years. We'll have had him for his prime which was not a guarantee after the previous contract that ended in UFA.

Arizona has had the longest rebuild in league history. It's always "the next five years" or whatever. Zzzzzz.

Let Matthews go home at the end of his deal. He'll be able to pay for the arena.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The voting committee and his peers labeled him #1 for one year though...

More wishful thinking from a "fan" who doesn't have a good team to cheer for
The voting committee also labelled Taylor Hall, Corey Perry and Henrik Sedin #1 for one year. And the Hart criteria is actually the most valuable player to his team not the best player in the league.

Reactions: TS Quint

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Bet you said the same thing after he signed his last contract 5 years ago

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
The Leafs are going to make him the highest paid player of his generation and he's going to blame the Leafs for the team not succeeding? What a piece of crap.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I like how everybody was so sure he was leaving despite literally EVERY SINGLE credible report saying that he was staying.

Yup. And now he is no good or whatever the narrative has changed to. And people seem to love waiving away what he has done by "playofffsss" he is only a PPG player in the playoffs, obviously that cancels his other accomplishments.

The narrative with Matthews has always been this way too. I remember fans laughing at the notion he might score more than 30 points as a rookie after he was drafted. Then he had that unreal world tournament (where people said he only made the team because Toronto was hosting) and people then shifted and said he was just a product of Mcdavid.

At least the narrative has been consistent.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
The Pigman probably wants to play in the west where he won’t have to deal with behemoths like Steven Stamkos to deal with. Stammer beat him like a red headed stepchild.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yup. And now he is no good or whatever the narrative has changed to. And people seem to love waiving away what he has done by "playofffsss" he is only a PPG player in the playoffs, obviously that cancels his other accomplishments.

The narrative with Matthews has always been this way too. I remember fans laughing at the notion he might score more than 30 points as a rookie after he was drafted. Then he had that unreal world tournament (where people said he only made the team because Toronto was hosting) and people then shifted and said he was just a product of Mcdavid.

At least the narrative has been consistent.
The narrative in your head perhaps.
No one suggested he wouldn’t score 30 points as a highly touted first overall pick.
Swing and a miss!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad