Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I like how Leafs fans keep bringing this up like it matters.

I always said Matthews will never leave Toronto because he gets to write his own contracts and he has zero accountability to the team and he never gets held responsible by the fans. Not that there is

How do we as fans hold him accountable? Stop buying tickets? When 90% can't afford to go to a game anyways? Boo him? Complain about him on a message board? That'll show him.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
5 years ago, Leaf Land was saying this...
View attachment 740945

Plus, Arizona had a arena 5 years ago.

We''ll see in five years what the future holds...still plenty of time for AZ to build a new arena. Still time for the NHL to make good on proposed Mexican expansion and bring the premier NHL Mexican citizen back to his maternal heritage homeland. In either case, Matthews returns home.
I mean we are one of maybe 5-7 teams that have a shot at winning the cup year in and year out. They haven’t won it yet but that doesn’t mean they can’t win one either. The Blues, Caps, and Lightning were all seen as perennial chokers until they weren’t. Today Matthews is extended for 4 years and will be a part of this team for the next 5. Until he decides to leave we are going all in for the cup.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
I mean we are one of maybe 5-7 teams that have a shot at winning the cup year in and year out. They haven’t won it yet but that doesn’t mean they can’t win one either. The Blues, Caps, and Lightning were all seen as perennial chokers until they weren’t. Today Matthews is extended for 4 years and will be a part of this team for the next 5. Until he decides to leave we are going all in for the cup.
They have barely made it out of the first round.
Once.
Then they were pimped-slapped, probably by a team that doesn't make your 5-7 team list...but one that does make the SC finals.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The narrative in your head perhaps.
No one suggested he wouldn’t score 30 points as a highly touted first overall pick.
Swing and a miss!

The bad part of all the migrations is many threads were lost. It absolutely was. It was a thread in the polls section, and the top answer was 30 points. It went pages and pages with usual suspects in there.

But now, the same folks claim it never happened. Long time Leaf fans of the site know.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

My favorite is Arizona had an arena 5 years ago. What happened to it?

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Is that really true? I mean statistically there is still room to run on failure. The Blues, Caps, Lightning were much tougher playoff teams than the Leafs.

Reactions: Laus723

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Is that really true? I mean statistically there is still room to run on failure. The Blues, Caps, Lightning were much tougher playoff teams than the Leafs.
That's not what people were saying before their cup wins. Only the Lightning had been able to make a final beforehand but after they got swept by the Jackets everyone was blasting them as chokers.

Reactions: Coaches Coroner

The90

Feb 27, 2017
They have barely made it out of the first round.
Once.
Then they were pimped-slapped, probably by a team that doesn't make your 5-7 team list...but one that does make the SC finals.
Maybe they’ll get the pleasure of reality slapping their lucky run in the face just like it did the Habs

• Haha
Reactions: Voight and Laus723

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That's not what people were saying before their cup wins. Only the Lightning had been able to make a final beforehand but after they got swept by the Jackets everyone was blasting them as chokers.
I agree. Tampa and Washington were viewed as chokers as they were each the top team in the league but just never got it done.
Toronto is different. A consistent top 8 team that underachieves but never viewed as the top team.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
That’s good. They have missed the playoffs how many years of stuzle s ELC? Working int grest so far.

Matthews was top 2 I. Goals per game. 5th or 6th in goals and top 10 in both ppg and points during his ELC compared to all ELC players for20 years.

Stuzle is no where near that.
He also signed in the middle of the pandemic.

Matthews signed like all star players before until Mcdavid Went 8 years.

A bunch then went 8 in the middle of the pandemic when seasons were stopping and starting.
What about Eichel?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I agree. Tampa and Washington were viewed as chokers as they were each the top team in the league but just never got it done.
Toronto is different. A consistent top 8 team that underachieves but never viewed as the top team.
I think they have viewed as a top team. Maybe not by you, but certainly by players. In fact, Bertuzzi said that it was a reason that he joined the Leafs.

What about Eichel?
He is an excellent player.

Reactions: Voight

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
How do we as fans hold him accountable? Stop buying tickets? When 90% can't afford to go to a game anyways? Boo him? Complain about him on a message board? That'll show him.
Start with, "he's the highest paid player on the team where did he go when we need him"? Instead of "He's the highest paid player in the league, what a deal"!

I appreciate some of the Leafs fans that have actually come here with a balanced take on the situation. Unlike the ones who have taken issue with me calling him "only" a top 5 player in the league in the regular season.

Last edited by a moderator:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think they have viewed as a top team. Maybe not by you, but certainly by players. In fact, Bertuzzi said that it was a reason that he joined the Leafs.

He is an excellent player.
The Leafs are not a top team in the sense of winning the Presidents Trophy or at least challenging for it like Tampa and Washington.
The Leafs are definitely a top 6-8 team most years. They should though have had at least one deep run at this point so viewed more as an underachiever.

Last edited:

Strangle

May 4, 2009
PP goals don’t count, no matter how consistent the contribution is to the team.

Maybe he should check the even strength goals between the two….wait McDavid had one less goal at even than Matthews had in total Last year.

Matthews has the best agent in the world to get Matthews McDavid money.

Matthews beats Mcdavid in ES goals in their career by like 20%

• Haha
Reactions: Voight and Laus723

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
This is why the man got what he got

IMG_0891.jpeg

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
And the Leafs are butter soft. Stamkos beat the hell out of the Pigman even though Auston is 40 pounds heavier. They won’t win until they get a couple of heavier players that will push back. Their best players have a river of piss running down their legs when things get a bit hairy. A person can’t just grow a heart or a set of testicles.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
And the Leafs are butter soft. Stamkos beat the hell out of the Pigman even though Auston is 40 pounds heavier. They won’t win until they get a couple of heavier players that will push back. Their best players have a river of piss running down their legs when things get a bit hairy. A person can’t just grow a heart or a set of testicles.
And they lost the series, partly because Stamkos was invisible and Matthews wasn't.

Reactions: Rude Dog

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Why we comparing him to Eichel ? The difference between Matthews and Eichel is about as large as the chasm between Matthews and Mcdavid ( whole other tiers, all 3 ) .
Correct, Matthews should not be compared to Eichel. Eichel has proven he is a winner, he has won a cup in his first playoffs while leading his team in scoring with 26 points in their Cup run, he already is just 18 pts behind Matthews lacklustre career 44 career playoff points in 50 . And before I hear that Eichel played on a stacked team, that stacked team missed the playoffs only a year ago, while Matthews was playing on a Leafs team that was seting regular season points records. He also has played with arguably just as strong a supporting cast of Marner, Nylander, O'Reilly, Hyman, Kadri, Tavares, Rielly, Muzzin, Brodie, ect...during his career. Inventing excuses to find reasons to justify Matthews being paid virtually on par with McDavid when you factor in 13.64 x 5 + 13.25 x 3(4)) = 12.30 Cap hit during McDavid's 12.5 x 8 duration is inexcusable the way I see it. The facts are Matthews and his agent were clinical in negotiations, taking every last cent from the a franchise(the Leafs), no long term commitment, no team discount, from the optics of his last 2 deals, it is money first, money second, team third. Let's see if he can improve on this record. The bottom is all that matters.

Eichel first playoffs, 22 GP, 26 points, won a Stanley Cup.
McDavid 49GP, 75 points. 4 playoff series wins, 1 Conference final.
Mackinnon 77GP, 100 points, Stanley Cup
Draisaitl 49GP, 77 points 4 playoff series wins, 1 Conference final.
Matthews 50GP, 44 points, 1 series win

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
The bad part of all the migrations is many threads were lost. It absolutely was. It was a thread in the polls section, and the top answer was 30 points. It went pages and pages with usual suspects in there.

But now, the same folks claim it never happened. Long time Leaf fans of the site know.
Funny how you can make a claim but you cant prove it. Makes you almost trustworthy... almost...

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Maybe they’ll get the pleasure of reality slapping their lucky run in the face just like it did the Habs.
It takes more then just luck to win multiple 7 game series to go on a run. Even the worst teams that have went deep in the playoffs have had qualities to their team that helped them win important games. Something the Leafs have lacked longer then most of their fans have been watching hockey.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
And they lost the series, partly because Stamkos was invisible and Matthews wasn't.

Honestly the major reason Tampa lost that series isn't because Stamkos was invisible, although he was.

But the #1 reason is Vasi played the worst hockey of his entire career, not just playoff career either, his entire career.

Reactions: Voight and The90
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad