Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yes, quoted you with the numbers. No one should be compared with Echiel. Then you gave me a bunch of other lnumbers to try and compare other players of whom none have accomplished what Echiel did. Gretzky only got 3 points in his first NHL playoffs. Lemieoux only had 19. Stats as you say, don't lie.
I am very certain I posted Matthews should not be compared to Eichel and you took that and inserted No one should be compared with Echiel. BTW I would spell Eichel correctly not Echiel. The playoff numbers I posted were accurate and they are noteworthy since they are the closest comparables to Matthews. Not sure who else you would want to use as comparables to Matthews? No one else in his age and AVV bracket I can think of? Though i see you tried reaching by inserting Gretzky and Lemieux's into the discussion when they are proven cup winners and their playoff stats speak for themselves. We are discussing Matthews 7 tries in the playoffs, 6 times one and out, 44 pts in 50 games often surrounded by 100+ pts teams. When it comes to the playoff performance, series wins, and Cup wins, Matthews should not be compared to Eichel at this point in time. Ask me next year if he gets a 8th chance to make as big an impact as Eichel had on VGK's cup run and win.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I am very certain I posted Matthews should not be compared to Eichel and you took that and inserted No one should be compared with Echiel. BTW I would spell Eichel correctly not Echiel. The playoff numbers I posted were accurate and they are noteworthy since they are the closest comparables to Matthews. Not sure who else you would want to use as comparables to Matthews? No one else in his age and AVV bracket I can think of? Though i see you tried reaching by inserting Gretzky and Lemieux's into the discussion when they are proven cup winners and their playoff stats speak for themselves. We are discussing Matthews 7 tries in the playoffs, 6 times one and out, 44 pts in 50 games often surrounded by 100+ pts teams. When it comes to the playoff performance, series wins, and Cup wins, Matthews should not be compared to Eichel at this point in time. Ask me next year if he gets a 8th chance to make as big an impact as Eichel had on VGK's cup run and win.
Yeah, I should spell Eichel's name correctly. That is a good point. Try and make some more like that. No one else has had their first playoff at the level of Eichel. That is the point.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah, I should spell Eichel's name correctly. That is a good point. Try and make some more like that. No one else has had their first playoff at the level of Eichel. That is the point.
That wasn't my point however. My point and I am not sure how you missed it was Eichel in his first playoff surpassed Matthews 7 playoffs combined in his team winning 4 rds, a conference finals, and the cup while being the leading scorer on the team. Usually you would think the guy that has played on multiple 100pts + regular season teams to have a distinct advantage. But not in this case. Which can only mean one player has not lived up to expectations, and the other surpassed expectations first time they played on a playoff caliber team.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
That wasn't my point however. My point and I am not sure how you missed it was Eichel in his first playoff surpassed Matthews 7 playoffs combined in his team winning 4 rds, a conference finals, and the cup while being the leading scorer on the team. Usually you would think the guy that has played on multiple 100pts + regular season teams to have a distinct advantage. But not in this case. Which can only mean one player has not lived up to expectations, and the other surpassed expectations first time they played on a playoff caliber team.
He has surpassed everyone by doing that. Who has had a better first playoff?

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He has surpassed everyone by doing that. Who has had a better first playoff?
You keep talking about everyone, and judging a player on solely their first playoffs, we are talking about Matthews 7 playoffs, pick any one of them. None of them comes remotely close to Eichel's one.

Reactions: Fatass

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
You keep talking about everyone, and judging a player on solely their first playoffs, we are talking about Matthews 7 playoffs, pick any one of them. None of them comes remotely close to Eichel's one.
You are judging a player on their first playoffs- You are just using Matthews. Other players also exist. What other player has lead their team in scoring and won a Stanley Cup in their first playoff? There might be a couple I didn't look. Some players may have scored more. Some may have have won the Cup. But what other player "has proven he is a winner, he has won a cup in his first playoffs while leading his team in scoring...."?

Last edited:
Reactions: Namikaze Minato

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Lol. What a ridiculous argument. Good god
What’s wrong with his argument? One guy has only one playoff appearance and he’s already shown more then Matthews whose had 7 kicks at the can. I understand you’re a Leafs fan, but defending a players poor play is just strange to me regardless of who you cheer for.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
What’s wrong with his argument? One guy has only one playoff appearance and he’s already shown more then Matthews whose had 7 kicks at the can. I understand you’re a Leafs fan, but defending a players poor play is just strange to me regardless of who you cheer for.
The only thing wrong with it is that it only includes Matthews. Eichel has shown that he has shown more than a lot of players. Some have scored more and haven't won a Cup, and he did it in his first ever playoff. I don't know of anyone else who has had a better first ever playoff.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You are judging a player on their first playoffs- You are just using Matthews. Other players also exist. What other player has lead their team in scoring and won a Stanley Cup in their first playoff? There might be a couple I didn't look. Some players may have scored more. Some may have have won the Cup. But what other player "has proven he is a winner, he has won a cup in his first playoffs while leading his team in scoring...."?
Isn't this a thread on Matthews. Again, pick any of Matthews 7 playoff appearances against Eichel's one. Not only first, you seemed hung up on this for some reason, even when I said pick any if not all combined. Eichel has already surpassed Matthews' playoff resume on one appearance despite having less 7-1 less chances. It may not be convenient for your argument but the facts are to date.

Playoff Series wins: Eichel > Matthews
Conference Finals wins: Eichel > Matthews
Cup Champion Eichel > Matthews
Leading a Cup winning team in scoring: Eichel > Matthews
PPG playoff scoring Eichel > Matthews

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Isn't this a thread on Matthews. Again, pick any of Matthews 7 playoff appearances against Eichel's one. Not only first, you seemed hung up on this for some reason, even when I said pick any if not all combined. Eichel has already surpassed Matthews' playoff resume on one appearance despite having less 7-1 less chances. It may not be convenient for your argument but the facts are to date.

Playoff Series wins: Eichel > Matthews
Conference Finals wins: Eichel > Matthews
Cup Champion Eichel > Matthews
Leading a Cup winning team in scoring: Eichel > Matthews
PPG playoff scoring Eichel > Matthews
It started as a thread about Matthews signing a new contract, but it has expanded to more.

I don't know why you are giving me those stats - I agreed with you on how Eichel has shown more in his first playoff. I just pointed out that there are more players that fit in many of those categories. You chose to ignore them. I brought them up.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
How many years did it take Eichel to finally make the playoffs?
How many years did ROR make the playoffs in Buffalo before being leading the Blues in scoring in their cup winning season just as Eichel did with VGK. Both will always be cup winners, not one and out in the playoffs with the odd 2 thrown in once in 7 years of playing on 100+ pts teams.

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyVirus

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It started as a thread about Matthews signing a new contract, but it has expanded to more.

I don't know why you are giving me those stats - I agreed with you on how Eichel has shown more in his first playoff. I just pointed out that there are more players that fit in many of those categories. You chose to ignore them. I brought them up.
Based on your replies, that is why. Like focusing on first playoff appearance, as that is some logical argument to Eichel's one playoff appearance surpassing all of Matthew's 7 appearances. I tell you what, Eichel's first 5 years he was not fortunate to be surrounded by the teams and talent Matthews played with and yet he already has the far superior playoff resume.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Based on your replies, that is why. Like focusing on first playoff appearance, as that is some logical argument to Eichel's one playoff appearance surpassing all of Matthew's 7 appearances. I tell you what, Eichel's first 5 years he was not fortunate to be surrounded by the teams and talent Matthews played with.
"Based on your replies." I agreed with you from the beginning. There is just more than your straitened interpretation.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
"Based on your replies." I agreed with you from the beginning. There is just more to your straitened interpretation.
There is no interpretation. This is a fact. Eichel's playoff resume has greatly surpassed Matthews and it only took him one try to Matthews 7 tries to do so. If you agreed with this, then why did you focus on first playoffs or try to inject Gretzky and Lemieux into the discussion, like this made any sense to the point I was making, and you apparently agreed on from the beginning.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
There is no interpretation. This is a fact. Eichel's playoff resume has greatly surpassed Matthews and it only took him one try to Matthews 7 tries to do so. If you agreed with this, then why did you focus on first playoffs or try to inject Gretzky and Lemieux into the discussion, like this made any sense to the point I was making, and you apparently agreed on from the beginning.
Facts can be interpreted and contextualized. Yes, I don't dispute the fact that Eichel has accomplished more than Matthews in the playoffs. He had an amazing first ever playoff. You didn't go far enough with Eichal's playoff. He has surpassed many great players - he won the Cup in his very firs playoff. Anyway, Gretzky and Lemieux make perfects sense the way they were used in my post - examples that show the Echiel, in his first playoffs, scored more than even great payers like them in their first playoffs. They are facts.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Facts can be interpreted and contextualized. Yes, I don't dispute the fact that Eichel has accompished more than Matthews in the playoffs. He had an amazing first ever playoff. You didn't go far enough with Eichal's playoff. He has surpassed many great players - he won the Cup in his very firs playoff. Anyway, Gretzky and Lemieux make perfects sense tghe way they were usued in my post - examples that show the Echiel, in his first playoffs, scored more than even great payers like them. They are facts.
You still don't understand, no one is comparing first playoff appearances here other than you. It is Eichel's single playoff appearance surpassing Matthews pick any one or all 7 that no one is disputing or should dispute.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
Not sure why goals is your qualifier? Why not points? Think you are being disingenuous here if you think Marchessault was always a Conn Smythe player without playing with a Center of Eichel's caliber. Regardless, this thread is about Matthews, the facts are he has not been able to raise a teammate to Conn Smythe level's of performance as Eichel has, which do support that Eichel was a major contributing factor in VGK cup win, a powerhouse team that you coined that missed the playoffs last year. Leafs set records in points, they have a stacked roster. Yet the level you have Matthews at, he has yet to match the production of players I listed given that he is paid more than, or set to be paid more than. What's the reason for this or his lack of success in the playoffs? I am curious if this Eichel angle of 6th in goals is your only argument you have in this Matthews underperforming in the playoffs you have? We are discussing the highest paid player in the NHL next year and a player that is paid on par with McDavid for the duration of McDavid's contract,
Goals are always talked about b/c Matthews would get shredded when you show full production lol.

Goal posts always move. Then they call him a defensive juggernaut when McDavid has a better goals for/goals against ratio in the playoffs where the games matter.

People act like he doesn't need assists and doesn't need to elevate other players b/c he ScoReZ GoAlZ. It's like he has a 30 goal lead on every player every season or something. So strange.

One of the few players, along with Mitch, who's playoff production drops compared to regular season, where as the other top Dawgs all go up in the playoffs when games get tighter and tougher.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Funny how Eichel has been shit on for so long and now he has fanboys lmao
not even sure why Eichel is being mentioned. so what if he had a good first playoffs he's clearly a tier below Matthews..... end of story on Eichel

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Goals are always talked about b/c Matthews would get shredded when you show full production lol.

Goal posts always move. Then they call him a defensive juggernaut when McDavid has a better goals for/goals against ratio in the playoffs where the games matter.

People act like he doesn't need assists and doesn't need to elevate other players b/c he ScoReZ GoAlZ. It's like he has a 30 goal lead on every player every season or something. So strange.

One of the few players, along with Mitch, who's playoff production drops compared to regular season, where as the other top Dawgs all go up in the playoffs when games get tighter and tougher.
Just an fyi almost everyone’s production drops in the playoffs. Mcdavid drai and Mackinnon are the exceptions right now. As a general rule, production drops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Voight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad