Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I am just stating the fact. From an optics point of view, Matthews reluctance to sign a max contract with the Leafs despite being the highest paid player in the NHL 13.25M and 2nd highest his last contract at 11.64M does not send a message that is committed to a franchise long term or winning. To me, the message is he wants to commit to banking the most money he can. Now there is nothing wrong with wanting to maximize your earnings in a career. But from a hockey standpoint, you want to see your star players commit max terms when you are in the top 1% in cap hits. Aho, Pastrnak, Barzal, Mackinnon, Rantanen, McDavid, Eichel, Draisaitl, Tkachuk, have all signed max years and committed to their franchises long term, and even before that so did Kane, Crosby, Malkin, and Ovie. Matthews is really on an Island here. It seems to me he wants to roll the dice again on one last big contract when the cap goes up. In it for the money more than winning. I want a player that signs a long term team friendly contract to allow for a good supporting cast, and to show the players around him to follow suit. For the 2nd consecutive contract Matthews has signed, he has failed to do this.
One could argue that by Matthews signing 4 years, it makes his cap hit lower. If he signed for 8 years, his cap him might have been $14m-15m, at which point it becomes onerous to retain the player. He also could have made it messy and walked himself to FA and see what the offers were, or forced a trade to get more $$ elsewhere. Anytime you negotiate each side gives up something they want to make the deal work. Matthews took a lower AAV, but got the term he wanted. While the Leafs got the AAV they wanted, but not the term. If Matthews in 4-5 years from now re-signs for another 8 years, what does it matter?

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
One could argue that by Matthews signing 4 years, it makes his cap hit lower. If he signed for 8 years, his cap him might have been $14m-15m, at which point it becomes onerous to retain the player. He also could have made it messy and walked himself to FA and see what the offers were, or forced a trade to get more $$ elsewhere. Anytime you negotiate each side gives up something they want to make the deal work. Matthews took a lower AAV, but got the term he wanted. While the Leafs got the AAV they wanted, but not the term. If Matthews in 4-5 years from now re-signs for another 8 years, what does it matter?
I figured it out, people here are guaranteeing the cap rises astronomically and that Matthews will still be playing at the same level at age 31+ as he is at age 26. Also that he would have equal value or very close to equal value at age 31, as he would at age 26 in his prime as an expiring UFA with a full NMC who has all the leverage in any negotiations that would take place.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I figured it out, people here are guaranteeing the cap rises astronomically and that Matthews will still be playing at the same level at age 31+ as he is at age 26. Also that he would have equal value or very close to equal value at age 31, as he would at age 26 in his prime as an expiring UFA with a full NMC who has all the leverage in any negotiations that would take place.
Figured out? Isn't that clearly what Matthews himself is expecting based on wanting a 3 year deal and getting 4 years.

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
Just popped in to see how the coping is going....it's better than the hockey news top players thread (which has drai wayyyy to high considering mcd backpacks him) but nut by much...

Haha

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Does this mean you all lied about him being guaranteed to leave for Arizona?
See I'm the biggest leafs roaster but even I never thought he would leave. Maybe its because I'm from Montreal and I know how playing in Toronto or Montreal gives you carte blanche to the entire city , you are basically a King ,dare I say a god , that's why I personally never thought he would leave. He seems to enjoy the spotlight and is treated like royalty why would he ever leave . Arizona sucks to play hockey in , nice place to live tho

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
After letting this sink in a little bit, I’m disappointed in the cap hit but the term could actually be of benefit if his hand doesn’t fully recover in the offseason. There’s no denying he’s being paid like a 106pt 60 goal scorer and not like the Matthews we saw last season that was amazing, but obviously not 100%.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
One big difference is that MacKinnon got his raise buy winning a cup. AM got his for winning 1 series.
That's besides the point. The point is one is considered an albatross that cripples his teams chances from competing, the other is not. The difference is 600K

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Burke's comments about Matthews staying has not aged well.:popcorn:

LMAO! Now Burke's comments matter...

After letting this sink in a little bit, I’m disappointed in the cap hit but the term could actually be of benefit if his hand doesn’t fully recover in the offseason. There’s no denying he’s being paid like a 106pt 60 goal scorer and not like the Matthews we saw last season that was amazing, but obviously not 100%.

This. We all knew he would get paid, but it's not a crippling term.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Oh yes we would. Matthews could sign for league minimum, nothing would change.

I dunno... Pettersson saying he'll walk if the Canucks don't get their heads out of their ass is pretty interesting.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
It's not really interesting is it though? He is now the highest paid player as we all knew he would be, he got 4 years instead of the we 5 thought he would? Dude got paid, now lets see him duplicate the 60goal season.
True. Matthews wanting short term seems to bug some Leafs fans and media though. The other thing is will the front office start trying to reign in these contracts. I think how they deal with Nylander will be interesting with Marner on deck.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
True. Matthews wanting short term seems to bug some Leafs fans and media though. The other thing is will the front office start trying to reign in these contracts. I think how they deal with Nylander will be interesting with Marner on deck.
But they got Matthews signed, i cant see how thats a bad thing, if my favorite team signed Matthews for 4 years i would be jumping with joy until the season starts

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Trust me, it's not the Leafs fans who seem to be bugged by it.

The way I look at it, we have a 5 year window now to compete, if this team doesn't make at least a finals appearance, expect a full blown rebuild at the end of Matthews contract. He'll be 31, Marner 32, Nylander 33, Rielly 34.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
But they got Matthews signed, i cant see how thats a bad thing, if my favorite team signed Matthews for 4 years i would be jumping with joy until the season starts
Yes, that was the most important thing. They had no choice whatever he wanted. Not so with Nylander and Marner to me anyway.

Trust me, it's not the Leafs fans who seem to be bugged by it.

The way I look at it, we have a 5 year window now to compete, if this team doesn't make at least a finals appearance, expect a full blown rebuild at the end of Matthews contract. He'll be 31, Marner 32, Nylander 33, Rielly 34.
You think they are running back the same cast for 5 more shots at it?

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Yes, that was the most important thing. They had no choice whatever he wanted. Not so with Nylander and Marner to me anyway.

You think they are running back the same cast for 5 more shots at it?
Matthews + Marner + Rielly for sure. Not so sure about Tavares + Nylander. Only way Tavares comes back is if he takes like5- 6M on his next deal, another season of failure and Willy is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad