Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
It's been almost a week and people who swear they don't care about the Leafs are still in here whining about the Leafs lol

It's even less, it's like a 600K difference lol. Like Mackinnon at 12.6 isn't a selfish contract that cripples his teams chances, but Matthews! 600K more and they have no chance. No chance of having players on ELC's like, Knies make a major impact, no chance of signing other good players like Bunting that can make an impact.

Attachments

• B4D03349-583B-4055-B7C6-1A62B421E872.jpeg
    B4D03349-583B-4055-B7C6-1A62B421E872.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 4

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Which part in here is false exactly:

"Matthews signed for max money" Max money is 20% of thd cap (16.5 million cap hit next year. The cap is not yet set for the Matthews contract year.
"He magically got injured the day when he had the choice to take home 8 million instead of 6 because the leafs had a buy out window."
This is you making things up. The team announced the LTIR just before the buyout window. There is no information on when he got the injury. Besides, a team cannot put a non injured player on LTIR.
There is no one in their right mind who takes Matthews over Mackinnon.
That is opinion.

What I don't understand is why so many leaf fans can't come to terms with these realities.
They are not realities.

Substantial is subjective 600,000 is not a lot in the NHL.
Those are some of the things that are false.

TWS was always a fan of Barzal even as interactif.
Denial.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Nah. 0.0% chance he joins the Leafs circus. If he leaves, it will be on to bigger and better things. Likely NE corridor team in US so he can be on prime time in the east.
Theres nothing bigger in hockey than playing in Toronto.
Not to mention he was born here, stays here during summer, family lives here, grew up a fan, has a condo here, etc. If he leaves EDM Toronto has a higher chance than anywhere else of being where he goes next.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Murray going on LTIR, the day the 48 hour buy out window opened , was fact.
Did someone tell you it wasn't? I just was telling another poster just that. The team announced at that time, but they didn't say when the injury occurred or what it was. The other poster thought it was magic! Lol.

Reactions: BayStBullies

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Perhaps.

Yes, I deny your made up nonsense that you attempted to pass off as facts. We established that already.
Murray going on LTIR, the day the 48 hour buy out window opened , was fact.
Lol he even said it. But he doesn't believe it. Its incredible the unnecessary mental gymnastics he needs to do here. I just don't get it.

It's not an opinion that Mackinnon is a better player. That's a fact.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Lol he even said it. But he doesn't believe it. Its incredible the unnecessary mental gymnastics he needs to do here. I just don't get it.

It's not an opinion that Mackinnon is a better player. That's a fact.
Lol. You lost the plot somewhere along the line.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Why is it so important for us to prove to leafs fans that they are circumventing the cap. They’ve done it several times.

Who cares if Murray is healthy or not? Murray clearly doesnt. He was healthy in a must win game in the playoffs and they went with a rookie netminder not the two time cup champ.

The guys done. Healthy or not. If he doesn’t remotely care about his career then why should we debate leaf fans that he is good to go.

They call it robidas island for a reason. It’s been a theme for a while. And good on them.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
If I am a Leafs fan, which I am not. I have to wonder what it is with Matthews reluctance to commit to the Leafs long term. While other star RFA's are signing for max term. Matthews is not. 2 contracts in a row, top 1% high cap hit in the league, only 5 and 4 years commitment. Which speaks volumes to how this guy thinks. He is not all in, only half in for the payday. Which is not coincidental to his completely underwhelming playoff career thus far. Half in. This contract was not the greatest example to his teammates. If he was all in to be a Leaf and win a cup there, he would show it by taking a team discount and signing for max term. He's a great regular season goal scorer, but beloved player that wears his heart on his sleeve. Never.
The last contract I thought was bad but he hasn't been an rfa since his trade protection kicked in really (youre not eligible for trade prot until you hit your ufa years ) .

He is on a ufa year and extended all ufa years for the next deal. So he had no obligation to be cheap or re sign or do anything really.

He's got a full nmc he could have went on a last payoff run with the Leafs and then signed wherever.

Murray was healthy at the end of the season and dressed in the playoffs had 4 months to get better since then. He magically got injured the day when he had the choice to take home 8 million instead of 6 because the leafs had a buy out window.

Matthews just signed for substantially more money then Pasternak and Mackinnon for half the term. This is after both players had way better seasons. It's debatable if Matthews is better than Pasternak sure. There is no one in their right mind who takes Matthews over Mackinnon.

Which part in here is false exactly?

So it's because their name is leafs fans so they respond seriously to anyone that uses the term leaf fans or something similar.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
I for one am loving the decline of Murray. I hated him on Pitt. Hated him on Ottawa. Loved him on the leafs. Loved him eating crow about Toronto being better.

I can’t wait until this bum cons another team. And it’s going to be Pittsburgh.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I for one am loving the decline of Murray. I hated him on Pitt. Hated him on Ottawa. Loved him on the leafs. Loved him eating crow about Toronto being better.

I can’t wait until this bum cons another team. And it’s going to be Pittsburgh.
I mean he got two cups for the pens , sure Fleury was there but Fleury has the issue of if he gets rattled he loses all concept of where his net is and can become a wild goalie so I don't think either goalie could have done it alone.

But if he was a key part of my team getting two cups I'd probably toss him a good deal if you had the opportunity.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Why is it so important for us to prove to leafs fans that they are circumventing the cap. They’ve done it several times.

Who cares if Murray is healthy or not? Murray clearly doesnt. He was healthy in a must win game in the playoffs and they went with a rookie netminder not the two time cup champ.

The guys done. Healthy or not. If he doesn’t remotely care about his career then why should we debate leaf fans that he is good to go.

They call it robidas island for a reason. It’s been a theme for a while. And good on them.
IMG_3809.jpeg
IMG_3810.jpeg

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Well it clearly isn't because the post I originally responded to didn't mention playoffs, the post you quoted didn't mention playoffs, and the post he quoted didn't mention playoffs either. They were all about his regular season scoring rate. Once you've learned what sample sizes are, maybe you should brush up on some basic communication skills.

Edit: And I already readily acknowledged Matthews has underperformed in the playoffs. You legitimately don't know how conversations work do you?
Pace is applicable in the playoffs as well. If Matthews scored more in the playoffs, maybe his stats, and both his and his teams success would be greater. And then there's coming up big, and scoring at the key (playoff) moments as well. I can see why someone would bring that topic up. I don't see why limiting the pace discussion to only regular season stats is a valid way of determining a player's success. Not going to get into a big back & forth on this subject though.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Isn't that exactly what everyone pretended was going to happen last time? Why didn't he leave now when he's still in his prime and could have gotten more money in free agency?
Can't speak for him, but I can speak to those four years that could have been eight. I'd be alarmed.

Don't care what other people predict.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Can't speak for him, but I can speak to those four years that could have been eight. I'd be alarmed.

Don't care what other people predict.
Why would you be alarmed? He just decided to stay and he is staying, so somehow you're pretending that means he's leaving. Lol I guess that really bugs people like you who wanted him to leave but now must suffer that he is in fact, staying.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Isn't that exactly what everyone pretended was going to happen last time? Why didn't he leave now when he's still in his prime and could have gotten more money in free agency?
Could he have ? This was the discount ?

Damn good deal for him lol is all I'm saying . Nice the Leafs keep him but this contract is no discount especially it being a year early after a weak season

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
25 year old UFA to be in one year signs for 4 year deal that puts him as NHL's highest paid player.

Are there any comparables or is this unprecedented (either in the cap era or ever)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad