Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
25 year old UFA to be in one year signs for 4 year deal that puts him as NHL's highest paid player.

Are there any comparables or is this unprecedented (either in the cap era or ever)?

Well one major difference is how many score 40 goals as a rookie? People love pointing out guys like MacKinnon and Hughes but these guys had major question marks on their ELC. They broke out after they signed, they were never in a position where they were already a top 10 C in the league off their ELC, they had potential to be.

The closest I can see if Eichel getting 10 AAV off his ELC, but they were a basement team as well. Matthews came in and ended a decade of playoff drought his first season.

And I do believe eventually Matthews will win a cup. He is too good not to.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
25 year old UFA to be in one year signs for 4 year deal that puts him as NHL's highest paid player.

Are there any comparables or is this unprecedented (either in the cap era or ever)?

Weirdest way to put this, he will be 27 when the contract starts.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Well one major difference is how many score 40 goals as a rookie? People love pointing out guys like MacKinnon and Hughes but these guys had major question marks on their ELC. They broke out after they signed, they were never in a position where they were already a top 10 C in the league off their ELC, they had potential to be.

The closest I can see if Eichel getting 10 AAV off his ELC, but they were a basement team as well. Matthews came in and ended a decade of playoff drought his first season.

And I do believe eventually Matthews will win a cup. He is too good not to.
Stutzle, about to start his 8 year 8.35 million deal, at age 21. Better comparable than Eichel.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
This has nothing to do with stupidity. Its preference. Some fans are acting like this is some kind of travesty. I literally said in my post that its completely fair for some to want more term, but there is nothing wrong with four years. Thats a five year window with Auston in is prime. Long term deals dont always age well, there is nothing wrong with paying for certainty.
There is no time for this to age well. Roo much money from start to finish.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Stutzle, about to start his 8 year 8.35 million deal, at age 21. Better comparable than Eichel.

Stuzle scored 40 goals as a rookie? Oh wait he's never scored 40 goals? Irrelevant to my point then.

Also signed before he had any sort of breakout year btw.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I am a Leafs fan (realistic Leafs fan).

There is "no other contract in the league" that is comparable to Matthews at present. Matthews is an elite player but.... if team wants to win then players have to either commit long term (expand window to lower cap hit % down the road; or be able to return assets to the franchise if things don't work) or give significant discounts.

If Leafs are to go deep in the playoffs or heck even win the cup; it would be more luck than on ice skill.

I am frustrated, pissed and angry. I don't see how Leafs are going to compete in the playoffs when handful of players take lion's share of the cap and refuse to show up in the playoffs when the chips are down. Can't insulate players with quality depth as there is no cap left.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
This reads a lot like you’re hoping he leaves lol
He's signed for 5 more years I don't even know if he will be good anymore by then lol. I just don't think he gave them a deal and leafs board seemed to be split after he signed it? Many calling him greedy or whatever

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Stuzle scored 40 goals as a rookie? Oh wait he's never scored 40 goals? Irrelevant to my point then.

Also signed before he had any sort of breakout year btw.
Lol funny story. Contracts aren’t based on rookie scoring fyi. Based on body of work and what you expect going forward.
I’m sure he gets one more goal for 40 on his ELC if didn’t miss 4-5 games, not that it matters.

I’d take Stutzle + one of Chychurn’s , Tarasenko or Batherson’s contract over Matthew’s any day.

Reactions: mkatcherin00

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I
He's signed for 5 more years I don't even know if he will be good anymore by then lol. I just don't think he gave them a deal and leafs board seemed to be split after he signed it? Many calling him greedy or whatever
I would’ve liked to see 8, but at the same time the leafs have him for 5 more years. All the bellyaching is useless at this point. He could’ve walked or not signed. He’s been the easiest to sign twice now. Came with a number both sides agreed on, signed and done.

Leaf fans are privileged to have a player of his caliber for another 5 years at the end of the day.

Reactions: Seanaconda

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Lol funny story. Contracts aren’t based on rookie scoring fyi. Based on body of work and what you expect going forward.
I’m sure he gets one more goal for 40 on his ELC if didn’t miss 4-5 games, not that it matters.

I’d take Stutzle + one of Chychurn’s , Tarasenko or Batherson’s contract over Matthew’s any day.

You haven't said anything that disproves my point. He signed his deal with a career high of 22 goals and 58 points. By that point in his career, Matthews had scored 40 goals and 69 points his first season, and then 34 goals and 63 in 62 games (44 goal pace).

This only further re-enforces my point. It's easy to get players on good deals when they take a while to develop and don't join the NHL as a teenager already a star.

Reactions: BayStBullies

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You haven't said anything that disproves my point. He signed his deal with a career high of 22 goals and 58 points. By that point in his career, Matthews had scored 40 goals and 69 points his first season, and then 34 goals and 63 in 62 games (44 goal pace).

This only further re-enforces my point. It's easy to get players on good deals when they take a while to develop and don't join the NHL as a teenager already a star.
Shot your point, so Matthew’s gets 11.6 after 63 points nice.
When Matthew’s got 32 goals and 63 points, as a 20 year old, Stutzle had 39 goals and 90 points at 20/21, turned 21 mid January.
Still take the combo of players, I chose over Matthews, and I’m sure you would as well, moving forward.

The90

Feb 27, 2017

I for one am shocked that you’d take players on your favourite team over your biggest rivals. The summer of dorion 2.0

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I agree about Matthews but the leafs D is far from okay this year. Season hasnt started yet so Treliving has time to work on it but as it stands now, there is no way in hell that the leafs D can go 4 rounds and be effective.
WDYM? It’s nearly the same D that finished top 5 in defensive efficiency last year.
2018 wants their opinion back

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I

I would’ve liked to see 8, but at the same time the leafs have him for 5 more years. All the bellyaching is useless at this point. He could’ve walked or not signed. He’s been the easiest to sign twice now. Came with a number both sides agreed on, signed and done.

Leaf fans are privileged to have a player of his caliber for another 5 years at the end of the day.
Yeah I've said that repeatedly in this thread I believe not a discount but he has no obligation to even stay with the Leafs so I think it's a win keeping the guy

myleafs

May 25, 2021
WDYM? It’s nearly the same D that finished top 5 in defensive efficiency last year.
2018 wants their opinion back
Big fan of Gio and Brodie, however, Gio turned into a shadow of his former self right before our eyes at the end of the season and he is old...Brodie started showing signs of slowing down especially once playoffs started and is creeping into his mid 30's...Schenn gone. ...If you think this D as it stands is up to the task thats fine...I dont. But maybe a quipy burn about 2018 will change my opinion.

Reactions: Dache

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
at least they got 4 years.
Wouldn't have been surprised to see 2-3.
Matthews is getting paid no matter what and the Leafs let the NMC activate which gave him all the leverage.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Big fan of Gio and Brodie, however, Gio turned into a shadow of his former self right before our eyes at the end of the season and he is old...Brodie started showing signs of slowing down especially once playoffs started and is creeping into his mid 30's...Schenn gone. ...If you think this D as it stands is up to the task thats fine...I dont. But maybe a quipy burn about 2018 will change my opinion.
Schenn was/is not a big loss. Less gio more timmins and expanded role do liljegren. If klingberg rebounds and is anything like his former self they’re as good or better than last years group

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
It was just when he was voluntold he was on ltir. Happy coincidence.
I’m not sure that the Leafs were over the cap + 10% they’re allowed until Samsonov’s deal kicked in — which clearly doesn’t happen until the buyout period opens since arbitration deals putting teams over that limit is the reason that second window exists.

If indeed, the leafs were not over before Samsonov, then there was no reason to put him on LTIR. In fact, I’m not sure a team is allowed to put a player on LTiR until they actually need the cap space.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The last contract I thought was bad but he hasn't been an rfa since his trade protection kicked in really (youre not eligible for trade prot until you hit your ufa years ) .

He is on a ufa year and extended all ufa years for the next deal. So he had no obligation to be cheap or re sign or do anything really.

He's got a full nmc he could have went on a last payoff run with the Leafs and then signed wherever.

So it's because their name is leafs fans so they respond seriously to anyone that uses the term leaf fans or something similar.
I am just stating the fact. From an optics point of view, Matthews reluctance to sign a max contract with the Leafs despite being the highest paid player in the NHL 13.25M and 2nd highest his last contract at 11.64M does not send a message that is committed to a franchise long term or winning. To me, the message is he wants to commit to banking the most money he can. Now there is nothing wrong with wanting to maximize your earnings in a career. But from a hockey standpoint, you want to see your star players commit max terms when you are in the top 1% in cap hits. Aho, Pastrnak, Barzal, Mackinnon, Rantanen, McDavid, Eichel, Draisaitl, Tkachuk, have all signed max years and committed to their franchises long term, and even before that so did Kane, Crosby, Malkin, and Ovie. Matthews is really on an Island here. It seems to me he wants to roll the dice again on one last big contract when the cap goes up. In it for the money more than winning. I want a player that signs a long term team friendly contract to allow for a good supporting cast, and to show the players around him to follow suit. For the 2nd consecutive contract Matthews has signed, he has failed to do this.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I am stating what nhl agents players accountants and GMs have said. This topic gets covered probably monthly during the season

There are actual accountants for NHL players who have went through the residency thing. They have showed how much a player can do on the same contract

Canadian playing in Canada
American playing in Canada
euro as well

The actual NHL accountant with players in Canada said it basically works for a year for most and they don’t follow up. I am very clear on how residency works.

It is well documented. The residency and RCAs are commonly suggested as the strategy.

I am not conflating the two. I am combining them as this is what has been recommended by some in articles and Allan Walsh (whose own accountant disagreed on his podcast). More importantly. I believe that this was part of the article that specifically discussed Tavares. I have read so many I could be wrong. But I am pretty sure that one addresses residence plus rca

Tax deferral is not the same as not being taxed cash in hand
I do tax compliance & planning for a living. I'm telling you, respectfully, that you don't understand what those accountants were saying. (I'd comment on the specifics if I could, but you haven't posted any concrete examples, so I'm not even sure what claims you think have been made).

I posted an article from Crowe Soberman (note - I have no personal or professional affiliation with them). It outlines, pretty clearly, the type of tax planning Auston Matthews can do. The fact that an accounting firm published that for free should tell you that the strategies 1) have limited risk and 2) aren't particularly complex. (An accounting firm wouldn't publish an article like that, for the world to see, if there was a lot of risk and/or if it required more than a couple of hours to put together the strategy).

I've said numerous times that none of this is a criticism of Matthews. I think he should be commended for getting good financial advice. I don't understand what you hope to gain by pretending that the advice doesn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad