Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
See, he was saying that Matthews wont do that because his scoring dropped by 20 points last year and his wrist is shot. So he is implying that wont happen
No, he wasn't. He was implying that it was up to McDavid whether Matthews wins the award. It is you who are inferring something that was not implied.

Reactions: Nothingbutglass

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
No, he wasn't. He was implying that it was up to McDavid whether Matthews wins the award. It is you who are inferring something that was not implied.
Yah, thats crazy. Matthews wasnt even in the top 10 for goals last year. Not really dependent on McDavid

Reactions: PuckG

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yah, thats crazy. Matthews wasnt even in the top 10 for goals last year. Not really dependent on McDavid
Sure, you can disagree with that poster. I do. There are a few other goal scoring threats around as well Ovi, Pasta, Drai spring instantly to my mind along with Matthews and McD.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Sure, you can disagree with that poster. I do. There are a few other goal scoring threats around as well Ovi, Pasta, Drai spring instantly to my mind along with Matthews and McD.
Along with like 12 other players that outscored him last year. I certainly wouldn't be betting on current Matthews winning, but YMMV.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
McDavid's rocket is completely contingent upon the refs giving him enough PP time so he can win it.

Run along child.
Don’t take it so personally child, it was tongue in cheek. Wouldn’t want you to spike your BP. :D

For your reference:

In Matthews Rocket year: 16/60 goals off the powerplay - 27%

In McDavids Rocket year: 21/64 goals off the powerplay - 33%

Not that much more contingent on the PP than AM was.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Don’t take it so personally child, it was tongue in cheek. Wouldn’t want you to spike your BP. :D

For your reference:

In Matthews Rocket year: 16/60 goals off the powerplay - 27%

In McDavids Rocket year: 21/64 goals off the powerplay - 33%

Not that much more contingent on the PP than AM was.
Looking at the stats Draisaitl was the real PP monster.

But sure I'll concede that McDavid is better on the PP. Would you argue that's a better skill than ES scoring?

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Looking at the stats Draisaitl was the real PP monster.

But sure I'll concede that McDavid is better on the PP. Would you argue that's a better skill than ES scoring?
Why would I argue that?

I think ES scoring has more importance given more of the game is played at 5v5, however the value of the point in game remains the exact same whether scored at 5v5 or in special teams. A player that produces substantially more overall (including with their special teams production) still does more and should still hold more value than someone who produces less overall.

Reactions: mkatcherin00

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I don't think reporting would justify the contract or even attempt to. Each person is different though.
You would be surprised the number of times I've been told what a discount Tavares contract is because the Sharks offered something dumber.

Reactions: myleafs

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
For comparison in their first 7 seasons:
AM in 481 games: 299 goals and Steve Stamkos 492 games 276 goals.
So averaging 3 more goals a year makes AM a generational player and Stamkos just a really good player???
I’ve already replied. I was referring to ovechkin as a generational goal scorer.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Yeah, I don't know what people are expecting. What's Toronto supposed to do about the fact he hasn't lived up to expectations in the postseason? Cut bait?

"Auston, we've been reading HF Boards, and they say you're not worth the money and your contract sucks. Please take a discount."

He'd just go to free agency and get paid elsewhere, and where does that leave the Maple Leafs? Without their top line center and staring down the barrel of a rebuild. You play the cards you're dealt and you do what you can to keep your best players.
People aren't asking Matthews to take a discount they are asking he gets paid in line with comparable players. This contract is in line with Mc David. He's not that level. Not only that but we have seen Matthews Nylander and Marner seem to work together to extract every last penny from the Leafs. Ultimately that hasn't worked out. When players take those contracts unfortunately for them and their supporters it comes with expectations.

Reactions: PuckG

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
He won 2 out of the last 3 rockets, he has the most goals out of any player since he entered the league. Only one player I think can possibly rival him in goal scoring at this point is Pastrnak, even then Matthews has an edge. McDavid had a season for the ages, if he repeats that kind of performance add him to the list as well.
I’d have him second behind McDavid. McDavid just blew him away last year (64 goals to 40 goals which is a massive gap!) so for me he’s number one. McDavid has decided to be more shoot first then he has in the past so barring injury I think he’s the favourite this year too.
Now if Matthews has another season like the last one then I think it’s fair to drop him down to top 5.
fair!

id have him behind McDavid and Draisaitl for now, possibly Pastrnak if he scores near 60 again and Matthews cant get back to his normal pace

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
peanut gallery from the other fans keeping this thread soaring. Generational. Just like Matthews goal scoring ;-)

Strangle

May 4, 2009
100% agree with your bolded comment. Given Matthews contract negotiations to date though - why do you think that the contract he signed ends when he's 30 YO?

IMO - it's at least possible that he wants to sign his LT deal at that point where teams typically make mistakes with the core players. My favorite team (Hawks) 100% did this with a guy like Seabrook to disastrous results. (Not saying the Matthews would age like a tough physical d-man, but I think you'd understand the underlying point.)

I think Matthews hopes to sign a big retirement contract, but if I’m the Leafs, I try to give him another 4 year deal.

If he won’t budge on the 8 year term, I’m offering a much lower AAV.

And if they can’t come to terms with one of those scenarios? And they haven’t won a cup yet? That’s the time to retool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad