Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
He obviously didn’t want to be in Vancouver. :laugh:

He said he wanted to stay with the Leafs and had no interest in Vancouver but they were throwing money at him - so he did it as a favour to the Sedin’s.
Leafs wanted to trade Sundin and get something for him while letting him have a shot at a cup. sundin made it very clear he would not ok a trade and would only play for the leafs. He retired and Mike Gillis offered 20 milly for 2 yrs which Sundin turned down. He then agreed to 7 milly for a half season 40 games into the season. He had no training camp and had not been really even working out. He sucked in Vancouver...a shadow of a shadow of his former self. He went to Van for the money not as a favor to the Sedins. And he did no favors for the leafs by not letting them trade him to a contender and getting assets back.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Leafs wanted to trade Sundin and get something for him while letting him have a shot at a cup. sundin made it very clear he would not ok a trade and would only play for the leafs. He retired and Mike Gillis offered 20 milly for 2 yrs which Sundin turned down. He then agreed to 7 milly for a half season 40 games into the season. He had no training camp and had not been really even working out. He sucked in Vancouver...a shadow of a shadow of his former self. He went to Van for the money not as a favor to the Sedins. And he did no favors for the leafs by not letting them trade him to a contender and getting assets back.
No, the Muskoka 5 all refused to waive there NTC’s to help the team.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

myleafs

May 25, 2021
No, the Muskoka 5 all refused to waive there NTC’s to help the team.
No? nothing i stated is false. I made no mention of the muskoa 5 because there was no mention of them to what I was responding to so....whutch you talking bout willis?

Reactions: TS Quint

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
id call that the past!

he can still be considered a top-5 goal scorer; i just wouldnt have him #1 after last season
He won 2 out of the last 3 rockets, he has the most goals out of any player since he entered the league. Only one player I think can possibly rival him in goal scoring at this point is Pastrnak, even then Matthews has an edge. McDavid had a season for the ages, if he repeats that kind of performance add him to the list as well.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
id call that the past!

he can still be considered a top-5 goal scorer; i just wouldnt have him #1 after last season
I’d have him second behind McDavid. McDavid just blew him away last year (64 goals to 40 goals which is a massive gap!) so for me he’s number one. McDavid has decided to be more shoot first then he has in the past so barring injury I think he’s the favourite this year too.
Now if Matthews has another season like the last one then I think it’s fair to drop him down to top 5.

Last edited:

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
Concidering he didn't score any goals in the series, and the series is over. He is not on any pace.

I think that perfectly sums up the Leafs playoffs success with their current core.

toronto-maple-leafs-auston-matthews.gif

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Max term is a disadvantage at 26, not an advantage. Do you think Toews was worth 10.5M last year, or the year before?

They paid more to get him at his prime before the decline. However, they shouldn't be paying for years he sucks like Chicago had to with Toews.
Keep telling yourself that.
Leafs got bent over.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I'm not sure why people are so surprised or up in arms about this contract. I'm not a Leafs fan but this is pretty much what I expected after his last contract. He's one of the best players in the league and he has the ability to choose his own destiny. He wanted a shorter term contract which gives him a lot of flexibility when he's still a very good player at 30.

I don't see anything wrong with that. He could've easily decided to go play in some sunny market with less pressure and taxes but he decided to stay in Toronto. I respect that.

The AAV is high but it was obviously going to be. 4 year covers arguably the best portion of his career going forward so if there is a time to pay him that much money it's probably the time where Toronto will extract the most value. The cap is going up and contract values will be going up as soon as next summer and will keep increasing over the next 2-3 years. Any agent doing his job will be forecasting the increase of the cap ceiling when negotiating a contract.

Is it a good value contract? Absolutely not. Is it what should've been expected for Matthews? I think so. Toronto had to keep him as well.
If he can control his destiny why does he choose to always lose in the 1st round and only allow himself one recent 2nd round exit.
He must be about golfing.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Yeah, I don't know what people are expecting. What's Toronto supposed to do about the fact he hasn't lived up to expectations in the postseason? Cut bait?

"Auston, we've been reading HF Boards, and they say you're not worth the money and your contract sucks. Please take a discount."

He'd just go to free agency and get paid elsewhere, and where does that leave the Maple Leafs? Without their top line center and staring down the barrel of a rebuild. You play the cards you're dealt and you do what you can to keep your best players.
It should have been. "Look here's Mackinnon's stats regular season and playoffs. Here are yours. This is why you get 12.5."

Reactions: TS Quint

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Matthews has a down season that is still stellar and top 10 in ppg, and he’s a leper. Mackinnon misses half the season and no one says anything. Makar down season and somehow still a top 3 player.

The logic on these boards with the Leaf hate is bordering on the insane.
Ummmm, the more difficult comparison is a player who has never even gotten close to his conference championship versus either of two players who are actual Cup champions.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Matthews is currently 221 in career goals. One behind JVR. Should be a battle to move into 220 next year
Yup, among active goal scorers along with JVR, McDavid, Pasternak, Kane, Draisaital. Will be battling it out. perhaps Mackinnon with a big year could join that group he is only 15 goals behind Matthews. Draisaitl is only 7 ahead. Should be an interesting year.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
It's really neat to greet someone who's E.L.I.T.E.

Welcome to Toronto Auston Matthews.

E levated
L evels of
I ntelligent
T akeaways and zone
E xits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad