Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Also.

Can anyone provide a list pod players who led the entire league in goals over their first 7 years?

Gretzky, Matthews. Who else?

Not crosby. Not Mcdavid. Not malkin. Lemieux.
I’m assuming ovy? Maybe stamkos?

Got to be a pretty small list

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
So... I'm a neutral.

I am actually a neutral. I rep Zona (Zona!!!) so I hope Matthews gets better / stays good and then joins our team in 4 years when we actually are good enough to justify playing in front of more than 5,000 people. This is, undeniably, not even close to a realistic wish. But we can all hope.

In the meantime, AM34 has scored a lot of goals in the regular season. He hasn't done shit in the playoffs. Until he does that, he is not generational.

Lmk if you have any questions. smh

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Matthews lost parts of 2 seasons to Covid.

At 25 years old matthess had 299 goals. Ovy had 301.
I think Matthews had played about 7 more games? They have very comparable raw numbers.

Also. Until 25 this is untrue.

Ovy played in the highest scoring seasons post lockout. He also started at 20
Both lead the league in goals twice.
Of course I personally don’t believe that Matthews will age like ovy at all. I am not predicting 800 goals. Heck 600 would be crazy. But Matthews is the best goal scorer in the game for his first 7 years in the NHL. That is an incredibly rare thing.

Plus he is a dominant defensively responsible 2 way c.

Ovy is generational. Matthewss may not be that. But he is keeping up with the best goal scorer who ever lived.
Highest scoring seasons post lockout have been the last 2 seasons,
Other than the first season, post lockout, the last 6 have been higher.

We are currently in highest seasons since early to mid 90’s

Reactions: bert

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
How/why do people like you not understand the difference between extrapolating from a small sample size and gpg rate over an entire multi-year career?
How do people like you not understand that one of the highest (or now the highest) paid player needs to dominate in the playoffs so that his team can advance. Matthews has a multi-year career on a team that hasn't achieved much in the playoffs. As the expression goes, your best players have to be the best players, particularly in the playoffs.

If they advance, and play more games, then the player can increase his stats even more. A chunk of that blame needs to be shouldered by the guy making the massive money.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Big risk... injury history... surprised he didn't take the money... either way, actually like it for Leafs.. 5 year window to go all in and then rebuild if needed...
id say its more like 'rebuild when needed'

once Matthews deal is up and Nylander and Tavares are both gone, the team be pretty bad

their window started in 2017; its 2023 already!

Oh no so our worst case scenario is we have the league’s premier goal scorer for the entirety of his prime then get assets back in a sign and trade when he enters his 30s.

Damn that’s such a bad position to be in
Matthews was tied for 19th in goals last year!

he needs to get back into the top-5 again before i call him the premiere goal scorer in the league

• Haha
Reactions: TheDoldrums

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
How do people like you not understand that one of the highest (or now the highest) paid player needs to dominate in the playoffs so that his team can advance. Matthews has a multi-year career on a team that hasn't achieved much in the playoffs. As the expression goes, your best players have to be the best players, particularly in the playoffs.

If they advance, and play more games, then the player can increase his stats even more. A chunk of that blame needs to be shouldered by the guy making the massive money.
Yeah we're trash in the playoffs and he's part of that problem, I'm not disputing that. But that has nothing to do with what I said or what I responded to.

So again, extrapolating from a small sample size vs. gpg rate over a multi year career: do you understand the difference?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Highest scoring seasons post lockout have been the last 2 seasons,
Other than the first season, post lockout, the last 6 have been higher.

We are currently in highest seasons since early to mid 90’s

Fair enough by averages.
However there are 69, 64, 56 etc goal scorers on that list from 2004-2005.

It could be that the lower tier players are scoring more than the top tier platerd. More even distribution rather than top.

Matthews was 3rd in the league in 2017 with 40
Goals.

The league leader in 202 wins 48 goals (70 games)

It’s not as simple to say goals per game makes it harder to score for too players

Power plays. Time on ice etc all impact.

Regardless. Matthews and ovy both lead the league in scoring twice. Are 2 goal apart by age 25 with similar games.

That is incredibly impressive. He easily had earned 15% of the cap.

How many players have lead the league in goals their first 7 years?

Matthews, Gretzky. Ovy maybe?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Yeah we're trash in the playoffs and he's part of that problem, I'm not disputing that. But that has nothing to do with what I said or what I responded to.

So again, extrapolating from a small sample size vs. gpg rate over a multi year career: do you understand the difference?
I've been talking about playoffs in multiple posts in this thread. I had sixteen years of math. I think I can handle the simple stuff. Key word = PLAYOFFS.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
id say its more like 'rebuild when needed'

once Matthews deal is up and Nylander and Tavares are both gone, the team be pretty bad

their window started in 2017; its 2023 already!

Matthews was tied for 19th in goals last year!

he needs to get back into the top-5 again before i call him the premiere goal scorer in the league
and what would you call him if he was number 1 or 2 in the league for goal scoring since he came into the league? Or is that to small of a sample size?

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
I've been talking about playoffs in multiple posts in this thread. I had sixteen years of math. I think I can handle the simple stuff. Key word = PLAYOFFS.
I'm not concerned with any of your posts in this thread except the one featuring the phrase "Yep the old pace argument" - a phrase which seems to suggest you don't understand the difference between extrapolating from a small sample size and gpg rate over a multi-year career.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Fair enough by averages.

It could be that the lower tier players are scoring more than the top tier platerd. More even distribution rather than top.

Goals.

It’s not as simple to say goals per game makes it harder to score for too players

Regardless. Matthews and ovy both lead the league in scoring twice. Are 2 goal apart by age 25 with similar games.

So just added up OV’s first 7 seasons, 339 goals. With season 6 and 7 in the 30’s, yikes.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
So just added up OV’s first 7 seasons, 339 goals. With season 6 and 7 in the 30’s, yikes.

Ok? In how many games?
Ovy got to start at 20. Didn’t have 2 seasons blocked by lock out.

At the exact same age they were 2 goals apart. I’m not sure what you are suggesting ?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Ok? In how many games?
Ovy got to start at 20. Didn’t have 2 seasons blocked by lock out.

At the exact same age they were 2 goals apart. I’m not sure what you are suggesting ?
OV first year was missed due to lockout (82 games)
Anyways I don’t really care tbh, so enjoy your weekend

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I am sure most Oiler fans don't even know Toronto has a team:laugh:. They are obsessed with the Leafs. Don't believe me...check out their team page any time during the regular season. You would swear it was the Leaf page. They are a very positive bunch. Very entertaining (in a death to America) kind of way. The level of hate is very impressive.

That would be amazing if a goal scored carrying through the neutral zone counted for more than a goal. Pretty sure they all count the same.

And your comment would make sense if anyone ever said a such.

This is hilarious to me because anyone who watches the players would know in the Canadian division his wrist was dead (and he had surgery that offseason) and he still continued scoring at his insane pace. He found all kinds of ways to get goals and it was really entertaining watching him find different ways to do it.

As for your last point... LOL

I would find more examples but I know it's a waste of time

Wow you reaching with those examples.

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyVirus

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
id call that the past!

he can still be considered a top-5 goal scorer; i just wouldnt have him #1 after last season
So you would only consider him top 5 in goals? Don’t be so generous. Yeesh! So it’s only ok to use what he did last year and not the last 7 years. Talk about sample size.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Fair enough by averages.

Goals.

Im not sure if he lead the league but Mike Bossy scored 50+ goals in his first 9 seasons before retiring with a bad back during his 10th yr. Impressive.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Gotta say, really don't get the crying over the Matthews contract. Guy has been underwhelming in the playoffs for sure but you're getting a top-notch 1C for at least the first 12 seasons of his career. He might be a bit of a mercenary but so what? Just pay your top guys and look for bargains on the lower end of the line-up, not on your top line.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
So you would only consider him top 5 in goals? Don’t be so generous. Yeesh! So it’s only ok to use what he did last year and not the last 7 years. Talk about sample size.
that isnt what i said!

i said i wouldnt consider him #1 after last season but hes still top-5

so that means the last few years ties into his top-5 ranking and last season is why he isnt the #1 guy

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
that isnt what i said!

i said i wouldnt consider him #1 after last season but hes still top-5

so that means the last few years ties into his top-5 ranking and last season is why he isnt the #1 guy

Even including last year last 4 years Matthews is #1. Same with 3 seasons.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Yet still ended up with 40 goals and 85 points? Lol keep reaching
Who's reaching?

Do Oiler fans state Draisaitl would have put up 40+ points in 16 games if he wasn't injured during the 2022 playoffs?

He already put up 32 points playing injured, so that's a fair argument, right?

I don’t think you realize you don't sound as smart as you may think

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Gotta say, really don't get the crying over the Matthews contract. Guy has been underwhelming in the playoffs for sure but you're getting a top-notch 1C for at least the first 12 seasons of his career. He might be a bit of a mercenary but so what? Just pay your top guys and look for bargains on the lower end of the line-up, not on your top line.

Yeah, I don't know what people are expecting. What's Toronto supposed to do about the fact he hasn't lived up to expectations in the postseason? Cut bait?

"Auston, we've been reading HF Boards, and they say you're not worth the money and your contract sucks. Please take a discount."

He'd just go to free agency and get paid elsewhere, and where does that leave the Maple Leafs? Without their top line center and staring down the barrel of a rebuild. You play the cards you're dealt and you do what you can to keep your best players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad