Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Assuming his game doesn't drop off a cliff over these next four years (or I guess 5 since it doesn't kick in yet), you honestly don't think that a goal scorer of Matthews' capabilities would get more than $13.15 million on the free agent market from a team desperate for goal scoring? Between the cap going up in 4 years time, to the fact NHL GMs are consistently overpaying in free agency, I think you're being naive if you think Matthews' highest salary will be now versus 4 years from now.

I don't think Matthews will be better at age 30 than age 25

I don't think Matthews will have more value at age 30 than age 25

I don't think Matthews without a NMC at age 30 will have more value than a pending UFA Matthews at age 25, who has all the leverage

The cap would have to go up a very significant amount for him to get a raise at the end of this deal. I think you and some other posters in here are being extremely naive if you think he will have more leverage, bargaining power and value at the end of this deal, vs now.

Let's just assume he continues to produce at the same level at age 30 for arguments sake. Are you going to pay him the same amount he got at age 25?

Ideally I wanted a 6 year deal here, it's usually after 32 ish for forwards where the decline begins, but locking him for his prime is a win. But I'm really having a difficult time understanding the logic behind paying him more when he's older, like unless there is a massive jump in the cap, it doesn't make any sense. Unless there's some idiot GM who wants to sign an older star player to a long term big money deal (Dubas and Tavares)

• Haha
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
How many Cups did Iginla and Thornton retire with?

... Excellent examples!

Where are the goalposts now?

Yeah, Iginla never got close to a cup because of his contract. Not like there’s a huge controversy anywhere.

Draisaitl & McDavid can’t hear you over all their cups because of their deals.

Reactions: AvroArrow

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

Yeah, Iginla never got close to a cup because of his contract. Now like there’s a huge controversy anywhere.
Actually it's more funny because you're basing your entire argument on two contracts from almost 20 years ago where the players in question signed immediately following the implementation of the salary cap.

... Certainly there was no concern back then, from both players and teams, over the consequences of a long term deal on a completely unknown system.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Lol going off of just one season.

In this scenario scheifele is just as good a goal scorer as MacKinnon because they had the same amount of goals last year.

Show me where Matthews hurt you

At 2 years younger I would say he absolutely is and being a Center definitely justifiable.

I mean that isn't a good example. Scheifele and Mackinnon are comparable in terms of goal scoring.

Mack 284 goals in 709 games
Scheifele 272 goals in 723 games

Mack is better but only by about 1.5 goals a year.

Mack mops the floor though in terms of overall points though.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
4 years??? Lolololol
Screen Shot 2023-08-24 at 11.37.30 AM.png

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Actually it's more funny because you're basing your entire argument on two contracts from almost 20 years ago where the players in question signed immediately following the implementation of the salary cap.

... Certainly there was no concern back then, from both players and teams, over the consequences of a long term deal on a completely unknown system.

The cap was projected to raise even higher then, which is why it’s not only those 2 that did it.

It’s actually a similar situation if you think about it. Back then, the salaries were reduced so player took short term deals in anticipation of a bigger cap later.

Now, we had a global pandemic with a flat cap and Matthews is taking a short term deal in anticipation of a rising cap.

What’s the difference?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
He did a sit down with Friedman, he says he wanted to stay in Toronto and didn’t want to go to Vancouver. What am I changing?

They offered him 2 years and he joined them for only 1 after half a season of sitting out.

Yep, he said he wanted to stay in Toronto, never said the other part about Vancouver, but go on.........

He did say that he had not signed a deal with the Canucks, but that is much different than saying he doesn't want to play here.

Perhaps do your own research, again before spouting revisionist history?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The answer is zero.

Also, Thornton and Iginla were both absolutely brought up by a Leafs fan. Either that or @Divine has a very confusing avatar.

You keep moving the goalposts. How many cups did Draisaitl win with his ‘team-friendly’ deal? How many cups did Pastrnak win with his ‘team-friendly’ deal? The answer is 0.

First you ask name a player who signed a short term deal.

Then it’s how many cups did they win?

Can you post all your different goalposts in one post?

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I mean that isn't a good example. Scheifele and Mackinnon are comparable in terms of goal scoring.

Mack 284 goals in 709 games
Scheifele 272 goals in 723 games

Mack is better but only by about 1.5 goals a year.

Mack mops the floor though in terms of overall points though.
Neither was the OG poster on Matthews being the 14th best goal scorer in the league but yes I get it.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

Yeah, Iginla never got close to a cup because of his contract. Not like there’s a huge controversy anywhere.

Draisaitl & McDavid can’t hear you over all their cups because of their deals.
Draisaitl has one of the best contracts in the league, so this is one hell of a take.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
So much for signing a shorter deal on his last contract so he could bolt as quickly as he could. I get the semantics, but the Leafs have their 1st line center locked up for 5 more years. I like it. If non-Leaf fans think its a bad deal, then we can be happy together. I do that contract all day long.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Draisaitl has one of the best contracts in the league, so this is one hell of a take.

That’s exactly my point.

You’re arguing Iginla didn’t win a cup BECAUSE of his contract. He went to the SCF and there was a huge controversy on whether Calgary won the cup.

Meanwhile, Draisaitl has a team friendly contract and how many has he won? 0.

It’s hard to win a Cup, regardless of contract.

Reactions: AvroArrow

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Draisaitl will be cashing in soon enough. He has been underpaid for years and likely won't let that happen again. He will have Edmonton over a barrel. Imagine what it would say to McDavid about winning if he bolts a year before he is up? Stay tuned for that.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
You keep moving the goalposts. How many cups did Draisaitl win with his ‘team-friendly’ deal? How many cups did Pasternak win with his ‘team-friendly’ deal?

First you ask name a player who signed a short term deal.

Then it’s how many cups did they win?

Can you post all your different goalposts in one post?
Bro, I asked you to name players who have signed short term deals right out of UFA and your response was to name two guys who never won a Cup.

You interpreted my response to your examples as "Rejecting" them, when the reality is I'm laughing at the justification of this contract being that guys who have never won Cups did the same thing. Congrats!

Get a grip lol.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Crosby has never had the highest cap hit in the league.

Because he signed on a lower cap, but that’s not what the poster said.

Bro, I asked you to name players who have signed short term deals right out of UFA and your response was to name two guys who never won a Cup.

You interpreted my response to your examples as "Rejecting" them, when the reality is I'm laughing at the justification of this contract being that guys who have never won Cups did the same thing. Congrats!

Get a grip lol.

And that’s what I did.

Then you argued they never won a Cup. Where did you ask for that? Hence, you moving around the goalposts.

Tons of players with team friendly deals never won a Cup either. Want me to name them too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad