Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He obviously didn’t want to be in Vancouver. :laugh:

He said he wanted to stay with the Leafs and had no interest in Vancouver but they were throwing money at him - so he did it as a favour to the Sedin’s.
Like I said a class act. Unlike Matthews.

Find me a player over 30 who got paid more.

You think Matthews and his agent have a crystal ball?
I think you are missing your calling as a players agent. Lol.
Five years from now you’ll be cheering again when he signs a massive long term deal with the Leafs.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Like I said a class act. Unlike Matthews.

I think you are missing your calling as a players agent. Lol.

Fun fact: Iginla signed a 3 year deal at the same age as Matthews, and a higher cap percentage.

He earned less on his next contract under a higher cap.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Matthews is obviously about his bread before anything else but I think it's safe to assume he's very happy in Toronto.
Ehh, there's more benefits to Toronto than just the Maple Leafs paying him.

Who knows how many more millions he's making in sponsorships. You ain't getting that in AZ.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
You don't think the Leafs will re-sign him after this current 4 year extension is up? That's the issue. When that time comes, he'll be asking for even more money than he's making on this newest deal.

So for example, instead of the Leafs going something like $13.5 per year for 8 years *now*, his contract will be $13.15 per year for 4 years and then $15.5 per year for 4 years on the new deal.

So unless your argument is that once this 4 year deal is up the Leafs don't sign him, then I'm not sure why you think this is a good deal for the Leafs.

Or do you believe Matthews, who has always been about the money, will settle for less when this deal expires in 4 years? He's 100% going to get another raise in 4 years time.
Absolutely zero chance he gets more money on a deal at age 30, than he does on a deal at age 25. I know the cap will go up, but why would we pay him MORE when he's older ?

More likely outcome, he signs a cheaper extension maybe around the 12M number.

I just don't see how he has more value at the end of the deal vs now, when he's a 25 year old pending UFA with a full NMC and all the leverage.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
What if we are paying him under 13M or 10M or less at 34 ?

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I believe Auston Matthews will be a better player at age 25 and demand more of the cap at 25, than he will at age 34. Crazy thought I know.

You're assuming he signs another short term deal at 31... to be making any demands at 34.

If he wants to maximize his money (And every bit of his career up to this point would suggest he does) he'll be pushing for 8 years when his renegotiations start at 30 years old.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
He obviously didn’t want to be in Vancouver. :laugh:

He said he wanted to stay with the Leafs and had no interest in Vancouver but they were throwing money at him - so he did it as a favour to the Sedin’s.
He f***ed you guys over by refusing to waive his no trade clause and never actually said any of what your spouting, that's what actually happened but go on with your revisionist history.............

Absolutely zero chance he gets more money on a deal at age 30, than he does on a deal at age 25. I know the cap will go up, but why would we pay him MORE when he's older ?

I just don't see how he has more value at the end of the deal vs now, when he's a 25 year old pending UFA with a full NMC and all the leverage.
Because there are these people called agents, who are ONLY about money, ever heard of them?

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Crosby has never been overpaid. Ever. For even a season. And nobody serious has ever claimed that. The guy took team friendly deals his entire career.
Ehh, I believe Crosby has the single highest cap percentage contract in NHL history.

Regardless of whether you believe he was deserving of that or not, it's hard to say that would be, "Team friendly".

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
You tend to want to utilize long contracts to spread out the AVV, especially for stars/core players in order to maximize your window. But no, leaf fans think paying matthews more than mack is the way to gain an edge lol.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
He f***ed you guys over by refusing to waive his no trade clause and never actually said any of what your spouting, that's what actually happened but go on with your revisionist history.............

Because there are these people called agents, who are ONLY about money, ever heard of them?

There's also this thing called GM's, who are ONLY about maximizing output per dollar spent, ever heard of them ? :laugh: This isn't Jim Benning or Kyle Dubas negotiating his contract.

One would have to be very "optimistic" let's call it, to think that Matthews at 30 years old without a NMC is worth more or can ask for more money than Matthews at 25 years old, in his prime, with a full NMC as a pending UFA.

• Haha
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Ehh, there's more benefits to Toronto than just the Maple Leafs paying him.

Who knows how many more millions he's making in sponsorships. You ain't getting that in AZ.

I doubt he makes multiple millions in sponsorships (no one in the NHL does) but people do tend to underrate the aspects of living in a big market/big city. They're big cities for a reason. They're tight and nice to live in.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
There's also this thing called GM's, who are ONLY about maximizing output per dollar spent, ever heard of them ? :laugh: This isn't Jim Benning or Kyle Dubas negotiating his contract.

One would have to be very "optimistic" let's call it, to think that Matthews at 30 years old without a NMC is worth more or can ask for more money than Matthews at 25 years old, in his prime, with a full NMC as a pending UFA.
Good luck with that.

• Haha
Reactions: AvroArrow

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Didn't hurt my feelings at all, obviously it did with you since you feel the need to change the past.

He did a sit down with Friedman, he says he wanted to stay in Toronto and didn’t want to go to Vancouver. What am I changing?

They offered him 2 years and he joined them for only 1 after half a season of sitting out.

Reactions: AvroArrow

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Find me a star player over 30 who got paid more than his UFA deal in his 20’s.

You think Matthews and his agent have a crystal ball?
Find me a star player (At or anywhere near Matthews' level) who signs a UFA deal that only takes them to 31. They're incredibly rare.

And there's not really much of a crystal ball needed to know that the cap is going to be significantly higher 5 years from now. NHL revenue last season was rumored to have broken $6B. At that type of revenue the cap should be $93.75M. Which means we're likely looking at max cap increases right up until Matthews' next deal.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Auston Matthews (age 25 in his prime) <<< Auston Matthews (age 30)

Only on HFBoards

One thing is for sure though, when the usual suspects are losing their minds over this deal, it's definitely a great deal for Toronto.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Assuming his game doesn't drop off a cliff over these next four years (or I guess 5 since it doesn't kick in yet), you honestly don't think that a goal scorer of Matthews' capabilities would get more than $13.15 million on the free agent market from a team desperate for goal scoring? Between the cap going up in 4 years time, to the fact NHL GMs are consistently overpaying in free agency, I think you're being naive if you think Matthews' highest salary will be now versus 4 years from now.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Find me a star player (At or anywhere near Matthews' level) who signs a UFA deal that only takes them to 31. They're incredibly rare.

And there's not really much of a crystal ball needed to know that the cap is going to be significantly higher 5 years from now. NHL revenue last season was rumored to have broken $6B. At that type of revenue the cap should be $93.75M. Which means we're likely looking at max cap increases right up until Matthews' next deal.

Iginla did it at an even higher cap percentage, he signed 3 years instead of 4 too. His next contract was a lower cap percentage.

Thornton did it also.

• Haha

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I doubt he makes multiple millions in sponsorships (no one in the NHL does) but people do tend to underrate the aspects of living in a big market/big city. They're big cities for a reason. They're tight and nice to live in.
USA Today was reporting over a year ago that Matthews makes roughly $3.5M in sponsorships.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You must have been stoked to see sundin retire as a canuck while still missing the playoffs as a bubble team for many many years after sundin left.

I don’t mind, that’s what happens when you price yourself out of Toronto.

Maybe Matthews learns from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad