Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Blocking a lot of shots is not a good thing.
There are a lot of tangibles that NHL players have that teammates admire. Those are the guys out there you want to play and win with. It shows that he is laying it out there. Ya you probably dont want your best player doing that but that mentality is what it takes to win.

I am sure some joe typing from his couch on a message board saying blocking shots is not a good thing means a lot to his teammates seeing one of their leaders laying it all out there. or the player himself

Ask around the NHL those guys blocking shots are admired

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
Very good deal for Toronto, they have Matthews for everyone of his prime years. We'll see 5 years from now if it's worth re-signing him but that's a long way off. Very happy this wasn't for 8 years.

To all the experts that said he was gone - you have shown that you know nothing, please stop polluting the board with your posts. If you had a shred of integrity you will leave forever

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
It depends on whether or not he wants to squeeze every last nickel (ok, million) out of EDM, the success of the team as a whole, how they are treating him, and whether he feels McD is also going to re-sign.

Either way, he will be an even richer man... he is already doing fine. Not everyone is like Matthews, who wants to squeeze every last dollar out of his team, while refusing to acknowledge that will reduce the ability for his team to sign other significant players.

Mackinnon way outplayed his contract for years, then signed for a large, but not record breaking, long term deal, AFTER winning a Cup.

Bergeron played forever on a contract that underpaid him, but won multiple Cups.

Same with Crosby.

Even if Drai leaves a bit of money on the table, he will still be a very wealthy man once his next deal concludes.

I think you mistyped 60 Million.
At the time Crosby was "overpaid" according to a similar thread here years ago

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The highest paid player in the league will now be under pressure to deliver.
Hopefully we don’t hear the usual ‘outlier season’, ‘pace’ and ‘injury’ excuses if he has a similar year as last year. And no more excuses about ‘tough matchup’ or ‘unfair reffing’ if he has yet another poor playoffs.
Time to deliver.

At the time Crosby was "overpaid" according to a similar thread here years ago
Nonsense. Try harder.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
The highest paid player in the league will now be under pressure to deliver.
Hopefully we don’t hear the usual ‘outlier season’, ‘pace’ and ‘injury’ excuses if he has a similar year as last year. And no more excuses about ‘tough matchup’ or ‘unfair reffing’ if he has yet another poor playoffs.
Time to deliver.

Nonsense. Try harder.
its not nonsense, its facts.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
its not nonsense, its facts.
It’s nonsense. One or two outliers may have said that about McDavid or Crosby. But most posters recognize that generational players leave lots of money on the table.
Let’s not make up things to try to bolster your position. It just hurts your credibility to bring up generational players and their contracts. I’m sure a couple of posters thought Gretzky was overpaid too.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
It’s nonsense. One or two outliers may have said that about McDavid or Crosby. But most posters recognize that generational players leave lots of money on the table.
Let’s not make up things to try to bolster your position.
I am not talkng McDavid, I am talking Crosby and if you want to dig you can try and look through the archives. More posters than not outside the fan base said locking up Crosby and Malkin to that much money was a recipe for disaster and they would never be able to build a competitive team around them.

People also said Giroux and Towes were just as good as Crosby too so you got that too bud

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
McDavid and Draisaitl are both worse than Matthews, they put up points but get scored on a lot.

Over the last 3 playoffs:

McDavid has +12 goal differential at ES. He's put up 34 even-strength pts in 32 games.
Draisaitl has +1 goal differential at ES. He's put up 35 even-strength pts in 32 games.
Mathews has +4 goal differential at ES. He's put up 17 even-strength pts in 25 games.

McDavid and Draisaitl have drastically outperformed Matthews in the playoffs. They can make the case that they've been let down by poor goaltending.

Matthews cannot make that case. To this point, he and Marner have been the ones who've let the rest of their team down.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I am not talkng McDavid, I am talking Crosby and if you want to dig you can try and look through the archives. More posters than not outside the fan base said locking up Crosby and Malkin to that much money was a recipe for disaster and they would never be able to build a competitive team around them.

People also said Giroux and Towes were just as good as Crosby too so you got that too bud
Nonsense. You’re just making things up to push a narrative. Leave generational players out of the discussion.
You’re just hijacking the thread here so I won’t respond further.

Reactions: TS Quint

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Why are you comparing Matthews to Crosby and Malkin?

Both had accomplished significantly more than Matthews had by the age of 25, especially in the playoffs. It's not really close.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
How are we supposed to evaluate ROI when the deal doesn't start for a year?

Correct, I am glad we won't have to pay our guy until he's 35 like the Avs will.

Yeah they’ll only give him an even bigger contract at 30….

Keep dreaming if you think the Leafs won’t go all in on signing Matthews again

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Both had accomplished significantly more than Matthews had by the age of 25, especially in the playoffs.
Bingo! Well said. And both are acknowledged as the best players of their generation and left lots of money on the table by signing long term deals.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Over the last 3 playoffs:

McDavid has +12 goal differential at ES. He's put up 34 even-strength pts in 32 games.
Draisaitl has +1 goal differential at ES. He's put up 35 even-strength pts in 32 games.
Mathews has +4 goal differential at ES. He's put up 17 even-strength pts in 25 games.

McDavid and Draisaitl have drastically outperformed Matthews in the playoffs. They can make the case that they've been let down by poor goaltending.

Matthews cannot make that case. To this point, he and Marner have been the ones who've let the rest of their team down.

If you don't factor in games played, sure, but that is idiotic.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Leafs haters in shambles lmao. Went from "He's leaving 100%! He doesn't want to play in that market!" To "Overpaid and over rated!"

Then you have some other guys going "Matthews at 25 being paid 13.2M LOL! They couldn't even get a deal done that would pay him 13.2M at age 34! LOL"

:laugh: I look forward to watching him light up your favorite teams again :) Gonna be a great 5 more years here

Mackinnon isn't 4M dollar better than Draisaitl. He's not even better than Draisaitl, shit contract am I right ?
A few made this point, most said he was gonna be overpaid and there for was overrated considering he doesn't show up in the playoffs. This contract is awful simply because of term, if you can't see that I don't know what to tell ya, and I'm not saying for a second that AM isn't the best (if not one of the best) goal scorer in the league, you simply don't win championships by giving out a bunch of max contracts to players who don't seem to wanna show up when it really matters, I mean unless thats all you leafs fans want.......

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
How are we supposed to evaluate ROI when the deal doesn't start for a year?

Matthews is better than Pastrnak, Barkov, Point, Tkachuk, Stutzle and Thompson. Makar plays D. He's also making 600K more than Mack, not 1M.

He's a legit top 5 player in the world and being paid like one. It's nice to cherry pick contracts though. Thompson was extended before he broke out, you think if he was a pending UFA now that he's not getting 11M minimum ? Stutzle was a RFA.

Is Matthews 1.5M better than Panarin ?
Is Matthews 2.2M better than Doughty ?
Is Matthews 3M better than Nurse ?

See what I did there ?

Reinforced my point by listing 3 good hockey players whose teams are handicapped under the cap because of their outsized contracts?

My post was never about how good Matthews was, or whether it’s a “fair” contract given the marketplace.

It’s about whether paying your top player such a large contract is a smart investment, given what a smaller investment can return.

Last edited:

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
If you don't factor in games played, sure, but that is idiotic.

What? I factored in games played.

McDavid and Draisatl have scored at over 1 pt/game, at even strength, in the playoffs over the last 3 runs.
Matthews has scored 0.68 pts/game, at even strength, in the playoffs over the last 3 runs.

McDavid and Draisaitl's offensive production has increased in the playoffs. Matthews' has dropped.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012

Both had accomplished significantly more than Matthews had by the age of 25, especially in the playoffs. It's not really close.
I am not comparing the players, I am just comparing the complaints of people outside of a team talking shit on contracts

Matthews is a top player in the game and his pay is fair, Toronto fans should be happy they kept him although a few more seasons would have been ideal

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

I mean, Pittsburgh only made it to the ECFs once during Malkin's $9M x 5 contract, and they got swept.

It took the cap inflating seriously by year 8 of Crosby making $8.7M before they were back to winning Cups.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I mean at that number maybe it's best they trade him there now.

Only you could actually post and believe this lol. Why no one bothers to debate with you. You can't do it in good faith.

I hope I didn’t hurt your feelings by calling it a good deal, bert. :laugh:

We know you’re a really big Leafs fan. You’re in every thread. #LeafsForever

• Haha
Reactions: banks and AvroArrow

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
A few made this point, most said he was gonna be overpaid and there for was overrated considering he doesn't show up in the playoffs. This contract is awful simply because of term, if you can't see that I don't know what to tell ya, and I'm not saying for a second that AM isn't the best (if not one of the best) goal scorer in the league, you simply don't win championships by giving out a bunch of max contracts to players who don't seem to wanna show up when it really matters, I mean unless thats all you leafs fans want.......
If you actually believe that, I don't know what to tell ya. You think Matthews at age 34 will be worth 13.25M ? Genuine question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad