Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Leafs haters in shambles lmao. Went from "He's leaving 100%! He doesn't want to play in that market!" To "Overpaid and over rated!"

Then you have some other guys going "Matthews at 25 being paid 13.2M LOL! They couldn't even get a deal done that would pay him 13.2M at age 34! LOL"

:laugh: I look forward to watching him light up your favorite teams again :) Gonna be a great 5 more years here

Hes not 2 million dollars better.
Mackinnon isn't 4M dollar better than Draisaitl. He's not even better than Draisaitl, shit contract am I right ?

Reactions: Enga Olly

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Lol going off of just one season.

In this scenario scheifele is just as good a goal scorer as MacKinnon because they had the same amount of goals last year.

Show me where Matthews hurt you

At 2 years younger I would say he absolutely is and being a Center definitely justifiable.
Sure. Mackinnon does more than just score goals. He is relied on to carry the puck through the neutral zone. He is a proven playoff performer and winner. What a terrible comparison.

Mackinnon had 1.56 points per game last year and 111 points.
Scheifele was 0.83 points per game and 68 points.

You're reaching hard.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Only if you tell us about your Matthews used jock collection that you sniff when going to sleep at night.:banana:

I have his posters all over my bedroom.

Jocks would be weird but whatever fantasy you have I don't need to know about.

But the infatuation of hate by some fans outside of Toronto is kind of weird. I don't even like Toronto but "Matthews is making 1 or 2 million more than my favorite player" is a little sketch.

Dude is a top player in the game and he is staying ,simple.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Leafs haters in shambles lmao. Went from "He's leaving 100%! He doesn't want to play in that market!" To "Overpaid and over rated!"

Then you have some other guys going "Matthews at 25 being paid 13.2M LOL! They couldn't even get a deal done that would pay him 13.2M at age 34! LOL"

:laugh: I look forward to watching him light up your favorite teams again :) Gonna be a great 5 more years here

Mackinnon isn't 4M dollar better than Draisaitl. He's not even better than Draisaitl, shit contract am I right ?

This, everyone, is the most coping post in this thread.

Gotta show those big bad haterz you don’t care by declaring how great your team is.

And then wonder, why does nobody like me or my team?

The term is shit for a player who is supposedly a generational goal scorer.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Last 3 seasons in the playoffs:

Connor McDavid - 19G, 57P in 32GP (1.78 pts/g)
Leon Draisaitl - 22G, 55P in 32GP (1.72 pts/g)
Nathan MacKinnon - 24G, 46P in 37GP (1.24 pts/g)
Nikita Kucherov - 17G, 65P in 52GP (1.25 pts/g)
Cale Makar - 11G, 44P in 36GP (1.22 pts/g)

Auston Matthews - 10G, 25P in 25GP (1pt/g)

One of these players is not like the others. Matthews has been a great regular-season player, but his goal-scoring production has dropped every year, precipitously, in the playoffs.

Regular season: 51 goals per 82 games over his career
Playoffs: 36 goals per 82 games over his career

Major red flag. When the soft spots on the ice go away in April, Matthews struggles to adapt. And when he can't get his shot off, he doesn't compensate in other ways. He doesn't play with more intensity. He doesn't assert his size. He doesn't go to dirty areas.

The media, for whatever reason, acted as if it was a given that he should set the new bar for AAV. But why?

If Matthews played in Dallas or St.Louis, he'd be an $11.5M player on an 8-year deal, max.

He's very lucky to be playing in a market that has inflated his value and for an organization that's happy to oblige with blank cheques.

The Leafs were bent over a barrel and had to do it. But with what other stars in the East are making, they'll continue to have a big disadvantage moving forward.

Last edited:

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Sure. Mackinnon does more than just score goals. He is relied on to carry the puck through the neutral zone. He is a proven playoff performer and winner. What a terrible comparison.

Mackinnon had 1.56 points per game last year and 111 points.
Scheifele was 0.83 points per game and 68 points.

You're reaching hard.
I was just using the comparison you were using to say Matthews was the 14th leading goalscorers in the league right?

Scheifele was 9 and so was MacKinnon.

Obviously that's not the case but you keep looking at your 1 year examples to say what a player is. L

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The reality is basically every superstar in the NHL sells themself short in salary. Including Matthews. He would 100% have gotten more if he took himself to UFA.

Would it be optimal if he took less? Of course. Would the Leafs be better off if he left and they took that $13 million to free agency? Hell no. That gets them next years versions of Bertuzzi, Domi and Klingberg. Gross. You keep your elite talent and figure out the rest later. The Leafs will continue to be a consistent playoff team with him and giving themselves multiple shots at the Cup.

• Haha
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I was just using the comparison you were using to say Matthews was the 14th leading goalscorers in the league right?

Scheifele was 9 and so was MacKinnon.

Obviously that's not the case but you keep looking at your 1 year examples to say what a player is. L
So Patrick Kane should receive a contract based on what he did 2 seasons ago?

The difference is, you are only looking at goals because that's all Matthews is good at.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Very hard to say how a player will age. Some maintain a high level of play into their mid 30's but others really fall off. Injuries can play a big role.

Heatley, Gaborik are a few notable goal scorers who declined rather quickly after they hit 30. Nash had his last great year at 30. Lecavier's last great year was at 32. These guys are all top picks in the draft so are among Mathews piers.

On the flip side you have guys like Thornton, Crosby, Ovie, Malkin, Kane that have been able to maintain a very high standard of play through their mid to late 30's.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This, everyone, is the most coping post in this thread.

Gotta show those big bad haterz you don’t care by declaring how great your team is.

And then wonder, why does nobody like me or my team?

The term is shit for a player who is supposedly a generational goal scorer.
The ironic thing is that the same posters would be cheering the loudest if Matthews had signed a long term deal. Now they’re trying to spin it as a four year deal protects them from injuries and a declining player. Lol !

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

One of these players is not like the others. Matthews has been a great regular-season player, but his goal-scoring production has dropped every year, precipitously, in the playoffs.

Major red flag.

The media, for whatever reason, acted as if it was a given that he should set the new bar for AAV. But why?

If Matthews played in Dallas or St.Louis, he'd be an $11.5M player on an 8-year deal, max.

He's very lucky to be playing in a market that has inflated his value and for an organization that's happy to oblige with blank cheques.

The Leafs were bent over a barrel and had to do it. But with what other stars in the East are making, they'll continue to have a big disadvantage moving forward.

Media needs the next American great one narrative.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Matthews is a rare talent. You give him whatever it takes to get him signed and figure out the rest later. Good for the Leafs getting him locked up.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
So Patrick Kane should receive a contract based on what he did 2 seasons ago?

The difference is, you are only looking at goals because that's all Matthews is good at.
No the difference is Kane is what 35 years old? Man you are reaching

Matthews is 25 and already has a 60.goal 100 points season and is just coming up on his prime. His best is likely still to come.

• Haha
Reactions: Voight and Haatley

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think this contract is VERY bad news for the oilers and Leon in a couple of years
It depends on whether or not he wants to squeeze every last nickel (ok, million) out of EDM, the success of the team as a whole, how they are treating him, and whether he feels McD is also going to re-sign.

Either way, he will be an even richer man... he is already doing fine. Not everyone is like Matthews, who wants to squeeze every last dollar out of his team, while refusing to acknowledge that will reduce the ability for his team to sign other significant players.

Mackinnon way outplayed his contract for years, then signed for a large, but not record breaking, long term deal, AFTER winning a Cup.

Bergeron played forever on a contract that underpaid him, but won multiple Cups.

Same with Crosby.

Even if Drai leaves a bit of money on the table, he will still be a very wealthy man once his next deal concludes.

That's a lot. When the time comes I imagine McDavid will want 16 million. :amazed:
I think you mistyped 60 Million.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
The energy trying to “spin” this as a negative for the leafs is hilarious. We get to watch our stud 1st overall, 50+ goal scorer, two-way centre, play for the leafs throughout his prime years. As long as you have a player like him you go for it and figure the rest out. None of this penny pinching sh**. Look at the other sports, this was a huge win for the leafs today.
I don't have an issue with the contract.

But, if Matthews is going to be the highest paid player in the league, he'll need to earn his contract with his playoff performance.

He needs to be a playoff beast and the most dominant & productive playoff player in the playoffs, not only just on his team, but of all the playoff teams. He will need to carry the team at times and come up big in the biggest, clutch moments with none of those meek performances in the big games like we've seen in past.

The bar and expectations have been set. Although he hasn't achieved this in the past, let's see if he can reach that level now that he has the largest contract of all NHL players.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Major red flag. When the soft spots on the ice go away in April, Matthews struggles to adapt. And when he can't get his shot off, he doesn't compensate in other ways. He doesn't play with more intensity. He doesn't assert his size. He doesn't go to dirty areas.

MacKinnon has a crazy goal differential at ES (assuming it was the cup run).

Kucherov is also good.

McDavid and Draisaitl are both worse than Matthews, they put up points but get scored on a lot.

Most of the value for McDavid/Drai comes from the PP, they aren't really anything special outside of that, the game is not tilted much in their favor.

Putting up tons of points is useless when you are being scored on a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad