Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
He scored 50 goals once in 7 years.

You can't say that lol.
lol whatever man, ya his fault for injuries and a pandemic lmao. His production is of a consistent 50+ goal scorer.

He's the best goal scorer we've seen since Ovi, with even better even strength goal scoring results. Like, no one has been even close to Matthews in terms of 5v5 goal production since he came into the league, on a per game basis.

I think reasonable posters can agree that neither last year nor the 60 goal season are the norm. Both are outliers.
considering the year before 60 Matthews put up 41 in 52, and was by far the best goal scorer in the league, hard to say 60 was an outlier when he has two seasons in a row at that dominant level.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I'll tell you what - I'll start taking your snipes more seriously once you take that big step and make the playoffs.
It's not really a snipe. The Leafs are the best they've been in 30+ years and have won as many games in the 2nd round over that time as a team that bottomed out and is rebuilding. You opened the door for Detroit comparisons. Not me.

Tell me when I'm telling lies.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Thats not saying much since fans want to actively get rid of panarin and huberdeau for very little. Pasternak is a way better contract than Matthews.
It was a response to a poster, I would have never even brought up those names.

I would take Matthews all day over Pasta, maybe you could compare them on goalscoring but Matthews is a Center first and foremeost and a better all around player

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
lol whatever man, ya his fault for injuries and a pandemic lmao. His production is of a consistent 50+ goal scorer.

He's the best goal scorer we've seen since Ovi, with even better even strength goal scoring results. Like, no one has been even close to Matthews in terms of 5v5 goal production since he came into the league, on a per game basis.

considering the year before 60 Matthews put up 41 in 52, and was by far the best goal scorer in the league, hard to say 60 was an outlier when he has two seasons in a row at that dominant level.
Of course it’s an outlier.
You just need to look at Ovechkin to see that.
This is every bit as bad a take as people saying last year is the norm. Just both sides taking extremist views to justify their position.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
So the same leafs fans that claim the leafs are favorites for the cup are the same claiming this is a good deal and o ly haters don’t get it.

Love it, cant wait for next spring excuses.
Honestly I like their chances this year better than I have in any of the previous years of this window. (And probably future years)

Went out and spent what little money they had to add talented players who actually play with some grit and passion. That's something they've sorely lacked every spring.

Reactions: LaCarriere

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Totally worth it. He's one of the top players in the league, and scored 82 points last season, only bested by Nylander(ouch, what is he going to ask for?), Keller, Panarin, Pastrnak, Zibanejad, Stutzle, Crosby, Thompson, Point, Marner, Hughes, Karlsson, Petterson, RNH, Rantanen, Tkachuk, Robertson, Mackinnon, Drai, Mcdavid, and Kucherov....

Also a great playoff player, who has.... oh, wait...

Horton, Armstrong, Keon, Sittler, McDonald, Borje, Gilmour might, or might not, have had his talent, but had twice the heart, and didn't give off the carpetbagger vibes that this guy does.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I don't believe in any contract comparisons (see my explanation above) but comparing him to defensemen makes zero sense.
Agreed, the OP I responded to wanted to compare him to Makar and other forwards based purely on $, so i decided to do the same to show how silly it is.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
When McDavid signed his deal he signed for 16.7% of the cap, Matthews signed for under 16% of the cap. He's also making just 700K more than what McDavid signed for 6 years ago "Way more money" and 600K more than Mackinnon.

As the Panthers/Canadiens just proved, you just need to get into the playoffs. Once you're in, anyone has a chance. Bottom seed teams that went to the cup final. The Leafs with Matthews are a perennial playoff team, as long as they are a playoff team they have a legitimate chance at winning the cup.

Leafs fans are more than happy, we will continue to be a top team and contend. There's teams out there that are just dreaming of sniffing the final spot, so yeah we're pretty happy we locked up our guy.
He isnt remotely close to as good a player as Mcdavid their percentages shouldnt be close.

You conveniently omitted that he signed for 4 years not 8 like Mackinnon who took less and is the better player. You can keep spinning this all you want its a horrible deal for the team relative to comparable players. He is an amazing player but he is massively overpaid. He had the leafs by the balls they had to pay him but thats all because of the first contract he signed that never made any sense. If you cant see this then I dunno what to tell you. If I was a leaf fan id be happy he didnt walk but I would not be happy about the contract and really what it represents for his mindset and the rest of the team.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

He is currently the 14th best goal scorer in the league and the 3rd best point producer on his team.

Injuries are a problem with the player. It's not like he's out there sacrificing his body.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
He is currently the 14th best goal scorer in the league and the 3rd best point producer on his team.

Injuries are a problem with the player. It's not like he's out there sacrificing his body.

Lol going off of just one season.

In this scenario scheifele is just as good a goal scorer as MacKinnon because they had the same amount of goals last year.

Show me where Matthews hurt you

Hes not 2 million dollars better.
At 2 years younger I would say he absolutely is and being a Center definitely justifiable.

• Haha
Reactions: I Hate Philadelphia

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

In this scenario scheifele is just as good a goal scorer as MacKinnon because they had the same amount of goals last year.

At 2 years younger I would say he absolutely is and being a Center definitely justifiable.
If being a center automatically adds $2M in value, I have some serious questions about Marner's contract LOL.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Only if you tell us about your Matthews used jock collection that you sniff when going to sleep at night.:banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad