Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
You named one player out of 5-6 I mentioned and alot has changed in a year. I mentioned Mack specifically if signing today would have commanded more. BTW your talking about a difference of less than 1 million, sure there is additional term but factor it in and you get what you get.

Cap going up, cost of living in general going up comparable players

People really get worked up about millionaires making 1 extra million per when all the circumstances are different.
I mean we can go through the rest if you'd like? This is pretty simple. Take the cap percentage they were signed to and apply it to the cap now. Regarding the "If they signed now" argument, I didn't single MacKinnon out. You did.
If Mack signed today with the current state of the economy he would likely be a million more.

None of this changes the fact that every single guy you brought up signed a max term deal. Which is kind of the whole argument against this contract for Matthews. If MacKinnon makes $12.6M/per for 8 years and Matthews makes $13.25M for 4 years and turns around and signs a deal for $16M, Matthews makes $14.6M/per over the same period of time MacKinnon makes $12.6M.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Depends on where the team is at. No guarantee the Leafs will still be in a contending mode in 5 years when the deal ends.

I'll be interested when the full details come out to see what the clauses look like. A M-NTC or less, hopefully.
Seemingly the only situations where a NTC would matter is if:

1. He gets a career ending injury and they want to clear his cap without having to LTIR it.

2. He's insisting on going to UFA and they want to trade him for what they can get.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
The victim complex is strong. I can guarantee that if EP signs a four year deal with Vancouver I won’t be happy either. You always want to sign your stars as long as possible.
The amount of copium from some of you on here is laughable.
Ya I am sure you are approaching this from a truly objective place. I have terrible takes about teams I don't like but at least I openly admit I am fulll of shit and don't hide it.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I mean we can go through the rest if you'd like? This is pretty simple. Take the cap percentage they were signed to and apply it to the cap now. Regarding the "If they signed now" argument, I didn't single MacKinnon out. You did.

None of this changes the fact that every single guy you brought up signed a max term deal. Which is kind of the whole argument against this contract for Matthews. If MacKinnon makes $12.6M/per for 8 years and Matthews makes $13.25M for 4 years and turns around and signs a deal for $16M, Matthews makes $14.6M/per over the same period of time MacKinnon makes $12.6M.
I've stated numerous times Toronto absolutely should have squeezed some more years, AM didn't want more years. If he took more years he likely would have got 1-2 million more AAV. Everything in life goes up and we are at record high cost of living times

Your looking at someone who had leverage because he is a great player, hes paid like one of the top players in the league as he should.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Seemingly the only situations where a NTC would matter is if:

1. He gets a career ending injury and they want to clear his cap without having to LTIR it.

2. He's insisting on going to UFA and they want to trade him for what they can get.
Correct, I hope if we are not in a position to win when he's expiring, we at least have the option to move him.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
LOL.

People not realizing Tavares is coming off the books in 2 years + cap growth is the funniest thing about this thread.

Before the Matthews signing "LOL Leafs he's going to LA or Arizona!"

After the Matthews signing "LOL overpaid, bad cap management!"
He isnt as good as Mcdavid or Makinnon yet is making way more money than both of them without anywhere close to similar levels of playoff success. If you think this is a good deal for your team and their 1 playoff win in his tenure with the team then have at it. Its too bad he doesnt think at all like Crosby. If everyone just takes a little bit less then you have a chance to win. He is taking a little bit more, he is overpaid relative to all comparables. Gonna be really hard to win anything with him making this much and whatever Marner and Nylander end up getting here.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I've stated numerous times Toronto absolutely should have squeezed some more years, AM didn't want more years. If he took more years he likely would have got 1-2 million more AAV. Everything in life goes up and we are at record high cost of living times

Your looking at someone who had leverage because he is a great player, hes paid like one of the top players in the league as he should.
No dude, don't be reasonable. They should have let him walk I guess rather than sign him for 4 years. That's the right call according to many in this thread.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ya I am sure you are approaching this from a truly objective place. I have terrible takes about teams I don't like but at least I openly admit I am fulll of shit and don't hide it.
Yes I am being objective. Had you read my post before going full homer on me you would have seen that I gave my views on the upcoming EP contract. If he gets four years I won’t be happy.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
If he signed this deal with, say Anaheim, this thread would be 1/20th the length.
he also wouldn't have gotten this large of a contract money wise anywhere else. Toronto fans and media especially are their own worst enemies. Matthews receives more undeserved hype than any player in the league due to playing in Toronto. Toronto was so desperate for a superstar after missing out on McDavid, that they built him up to be as good as McDavid as soon as he entered the League. it's only recently that the media has finally stopped grouping those two together, since Matthews has undeniably shown to be not even in the same stratosphere as McDavid.

He has never been as good as the media there has hyped him up to be, and due to that he believes he's worth more than he actually is. Add on top of that that he's a diva and cares more about money and his individual "legacy" then actually winning and the result is a huge overpayment. there is no way he should be the highest paid player in the league for any stretch of time based off of one great season, a few pretty good seasons, and terrible playoff performances.

there have been multiple seasons where he is not even close to the best player on his team, that should not warrant the contract he just signed.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

Oh I don't deny that he has the leverage or that he's a great player.

... It just makes me laugh when he goes in front of a camera and talks about how serious he is about winning a Cup, when the cap structure they've had for the last 5 years has prevented them from being able to do it. This contract is a continuation of that.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
He isnt as good as Mcdavid or Makinnon yet is making way more money than both of them without anywhere close to similar levels of playoff success. If you think this is a good deal for your team and their 1 playoff win in his tenure with the team then have at it. Its too bad he doesnt think at all like Crosby. If everyone just takes a little bit less then you have a chance to win. He is taking a little bit more, he is overpaid relative to all comparables. Gonna be really hard to win anything with him making this much and whatever Marner and Nylander end up getting here.
Hes making less than a million more than Nate so its not really way more is it?

And when Crosby signed his contract you had posters saying it was too much. This shit is like rinse repeat.

Its not too much, this is what contracts will look like with some guys moving forward, I cant even fill up my truck for less than $170 US anymore. Matthews had leverage he used it and is paid fair AAV for the player he is........simple

Man if I was your employer, I would love you guys, sell your self short, cheap labor

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Oh I don't deny that he has the leverage or that he's a great player.

... It just makes me laugh when he goes in front of a camera and talks about how serious he is about winning a Cup, when the cap structure they've had for the last 5 years has prevented them from being able to do it. This contract is a continuation of that.

So Auston Matthews making what...a million more than you think he should is the reason the Leafs haven't won the Cup?

It's not bringing in low impact players like ROR, Foligno, Giordano? It's not bad drafting for nearly 10 years? It's not Tavares ridiculous contract? It's not inability to find a good goaltender? Dubas made 1 impact draft pick in 5 years (Knies).

A lot of blame being put on a guy who is pretty close to properly value.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Yes, it would be better to pay a 34 year old 13m than to pay him that until he's 31 and see where's he's at.

This logic makes sense when the player is signign 8 years @ age 22, not when they are 26.

Haven’t read the rest of this thread, but I agree with this post here. Surprised Matthews wanted the 4 year deal. If he didn’t like Toronto he would have bolted. Even for 4 years he could have gotten more in FA. However going back to the point I wanted to make, 30+ years aren’t always overly desirable. Being able to reevaluate in 5 years from now, benefits the Leafs IMHO. Also in 4 years if he’s being unreasonable the Leafs have the upper hand unlike this time, and can just let him walk. Letting a 31 YO walk VS overpaying for 6+ years has always been my personal presence. In this scenario the Leafs would have gotten his prime years anyways.

It’s the 13.25 that yet again is the huge wtf to me, but I guess it is what it is.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Detroit is paying Chiarot 4.8m, Compher 5.7m, Holl 3.4m and Cat 7.9 (ok I kinda like that one) but their fans are in here telling us Matthews being overpaid by some small amount is the reason Toronto will never win a Cup.

Would we be better off overpaying players that will play 12 mins a night?

Wetcoast in here raining doom down, meanwhile they are a cap team that can't make the playoffs and are paying Boeser 6.7 and Garland 5?

They are paying OEL between 2-5m a year for 6 years to not even play lol. Maybe clean up your own house before you start trashing others.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
This makes sense for Mathews. He will be 26 before 2023 season starts.

That means he'll be on the edge of 30 before his next contract. If he maxes out a 7/8 year deal then, it brings him out to 37/38. Perfect retiring age.

And 29/30 would be prime for his big last contract. I guess he's confident that he'll maintain pace for 4 more years for the final big payday. The cap hit will likely go up by then by quite a bit.

The alternative was to take 8 years now but that then leaves him in no-mans land at age 34. What I mean by that is he won't be signing 13M-15M at age 34, but he can at age 29/30.

*edit*
My mistake...contract starts when he is 27, so it would have been better for him to sign a 2-3 year vs 4 year in that case. I guess he couldn't get that short term and the salary.
*/edit*

Last edited:

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
This makes sense for Mathews. He will be 26 before 2023 season starts.

That means he'll be on the edge of 30 before his next contract. If he maxes out a 7/8 year deal then, it brings him out to 37/38. Perfect retiring age.

And 29/30 would be prime for his big last contract. I guess he's confident that he'll maintain pace for 4 more years for the final big payday. The cap hit will likely go up by then by quite a bit.

The alternative was to take 8 years now but that then leaves him in no-mans land at age 34. What I mean by that is he won't be signing 13M-15M at age 34, but he can at age 29/30.
This contract starts in 2024/25...

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
So Auston Matthews making what...a million more than you think he should is the reason the Leafs haven't won the Cup?

It's not bringing in low impact players like ROR, Foligno, Giordano? It's not bad drafting for nearly 10 years? It's not Tavares ridiculous contract? It's not inability to find a good goaltender? Dubas made 1 impact draft pick in 5 years (Knies).

A lot of blame being put on a guy who is pretty close to properly value.
The Leafs can't win the Cup because they're top heavy as all hell in their cap structure. That doesn't all fall on Matthews, but he's a huge part of it.

They bring in players like ROR, Foligno, and Giordano because they don't have the cap space to afford higher impact players. Because they blow nearly 60% of their cap on 5 players and rely on plugs for the rest of the roster. It's not hard to see why they've struggled when last season they literally had three of the 7 highest paid players in the league.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
The Leafs can't win the Cup because they're top heavy as all hell in their cap structure. That doesn't all fall on Matthews, but he's a huge part of it.

They bring in players like ROR, Foligno, and Giordano because they don't have the cap space to afford higher impact players. Because they blow nearly 60% of their cap on 5 players and rely on plugs for the rest of the roster. It's not hard to see why they've struggled when last season they literally had three of the 7 highest paid players in the league.

Would the Leafs be better overpaying Chiarot, Compher and Holl? I don't agree with that logic at all.

Tavares is the real problem, and he will be gone in 2 years or less.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Detroit is paying Chiarot 4.8m, Compher 5.7m, Holl 3.4m and Cat 7.9 (ok I kinda like that one) but their fans are in here telling us Matthews being overpaid by some small amount is the reason Toronto will never win a Cup.

Would we be better off overpaying players that will play 12 mins a night?

Wetcoast in here raining doom down, meanwhile they are a cap team that can't make the playoffs and are paying Boeser 6.7 and Garland 5?

They are paying OEL between 2-5m a year for 6 years to not even play lol. Maybe clean up your own house before you start trashing others.
I mean if we are trying to be fair Detroit isn't trying to win anything right now but I get what your saying. They can spend some more money and players can make a little more than their worth.

That being said back to my point nothing is cheap anymore and yes players are going to be requesting more money for their services and the top talent is going to have leverage and will get paid on their terms.

It worked for the Penguins, winning the cup is hard.

Do you know how many times we heard how much of our cap was tied into Crosby, Malkin, Letang? How we would never be able to build a team with those contracts?

It worked out pretty well

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I mean if we are trying to be fair Detroit isn't trying to win anything right now but I get what your saying. They can spend some more money and players can make a little more than their worth.

That being said back to my point nothing is cheap anymore and yes players are going to be requesting more money for their services and the top talent is going to have leverage and will get paid on their terms.
My point is people will spend 50k posts talking about a star being "overpaid" by a million, but will ignore the 3-4 bottom 6ers being overpaid by 1-2m for what they bring.

Hockey fandom in general loves to label stars as greedy but is perfectly cool overpaying low impact players.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
If GP is a big issue, then it's good for Toronto to only have him signed for five more years. If he's in bad shape physically at age 30, they can move on.
When you need to hope for injury to have a saving grace to this contract isn’t a good thing.

The fact is he’s getting McDavid money for faaaaar less production. Leafs fans can claim whatever number /82 games they want. At the end of the day he scores a little more that 40g/season. No one cares if he score 60g/82 when it takes him 1.25 season to actually score the goals.

Just checking. Buying more years past prime normally drives the AAV up or down?
depends on the dollars. 2 contracts in a row now he’s vastly overpaid. Leafs will bend over for anything.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
When McDavid signed his deal he signed for 16.7% of the cap, Matthews signed for under 16% of the cap. He's also making just 700K more than what McDavid signed for 6 years ago "Way more money" and 600K more than Mackinnon.

As the Panthers/Canadiens just proved, you just need to get into the playoffs. Once you're in, anyone has a chance. Bottom seed teams that went to the cup final. The Leafs with Matthews are a perennial playoff team, as long as they are a playoff team they have a legitimate chance at winning the cup.

Leafs fans are more than happy, we will continue to be a top team and contend. There's teams out there that are just dreaming of sniffing the final spot, so yeah we're pretty happy we locked up our guy.

• Haha
Reactions: Tad Mikowsky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad