Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
This is quite the narrative considering there were multiple reports that the Leafs wanted him to sign for longer...

MacKinnon has 100 points in 77 playoff games and a Stanley Cup. Matthews has 44 points in 50 playoff games and has won one single series.

Also, this entire thing is kind of misleading because we don't know what Matthews will be doing from 31 to 35. He could go UFA to a new team. He could sign a max term deal with the Leafs. Or he could sign a short term deal with the Leafs. If he signs a short term deal with the Leafs, you're probably looking at $15M+...

Why even bother worrying about that now? 5 years is a long time.

This endless cycle of "oooh Leafs will be screwed when this contract is up" is exhausting, which is probably why people who want to see us fail are so adamant to bring it up constantly.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
It's certainly not a discount. But this is what everyone should have known it would take to get him. I'm not even bothered by the term.

I wish the cap hit was lower, so the team had more wiggle room for the rest of the roster. But this isn't even close to a bad contract. It's fine for the Leafs.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Seriously. I don't understand some of these comments. What were they supposed to do, tell him to walk? :facepalm:

There is not a single person on here who would be mad at this contract if Matthews was on their favourite team.
If he signed this deal with, say Anaheim, this thread would be 1/20th the length.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Auston is smart, he knows exactly what he's doing by not signing long term. Say he brings 3 cups to Toronto over the next 4 years, then in his 4th year he can demand 15 or 16M on his next contract and price himself out of Toronto's range. Then he departs for LA or NY with a 16M /year deal.

How would that be out of Torontos range? They have just as much $$$ if not more than LA/NY.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Because you're trying to frame this like Matthews is the better choice because MacKinnon will be getting $12.6M until he's 35, when the reality is Matthews could be getting $15M+ when he's 35.
He could be, but hopefully not with us. He will be 32 that year, same age as Tavares and Karlsson now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I am not even a Toronto fan but its laughable. They locked up one of the better players in the game right now at a fair market. Haters gonna hate on HF Boards, most of these people probably beat their dogs if they bark too loud

I said before if they could have squeezed a few more years out that would have been ideal becasue Austin Matthews will still be producing at a high level well into his early 30s
How do you call it fair market?

What are the comparables you're using to deem this fair market value?

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Auston is smart, he knows exactly what he's doing by not signing long term. Say he brings 3 cups to Toronto over the next 4 years, then in his 4th year he can demand 15 or 16M on his next contract and price himself out of Toronto's range. Then he departs for LA or NY with a 16M /year deal.

lol if LA or NY want to sign a 32 year old to a 16m/year deal, all the power to them.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
He could be, but hopefully not with us. He will be 32 that year, same age as Tavares and Karlsson now.

It worked :)

Teams don't typically willingly let their franchise player go. It almost always happens at the wish of the player.

That's not even just from a hockey standpoint. It's also from a business standpoint of, "This guy sells boatloads of jerseys."

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
How do you call it fair market?

What are the comparables you're using to deem this fair market value?
right around the top players in the league with the cap going up. Hell look what gas and other goods cost now. Everyone needs more money to live. I get it these guys are millionaires but you get the idea

Paranin, Pasta Tavares, Doughtry, Hubdeau, Barkov are all just making slighty under him which they should be. And hes within a million of McDavid and Mack. If Mack signed today with the current state of the economy he would likely be a million more. People are going to get paid more in the current market

Not sure what you dont understand........you seem upset?

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
right around the top players in the league with the cap going up. Hell look what gas and other goods cost now. Everyone needs more money to live. I get it these guys are millionaires but you get the idea

Paranin, Pasta Tavares, Doughtry, Hubdeau, Barkov are all just making slighty under him which they should be. And hes within a million of McDavid and Mack. If Mack signed today with the current state of the economy he would likely be a million more. People are going to get paid more in the current market

Not sure what you dont understand........you seem upset?
Every single player that you just mentioned as a comparable signed a max term deal lol.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Every single player that you just mentioned as a comparable signed a max term deal lol.
Ok and Mathews didnt and if any of those players signed today it would likely be for more because of the current market. People are going to demand more money when the cost of everything goes up.

So considering that and the fact that Matthews is better than all listed.............fair

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Ok and Mathews didnt and if any of those players signed today it would likely be for more because of the current market. People are going to demand more money when the cost of everything goes up.
Yes, you already tried making this argument with MacKinnon. Which was an odd choice considering MacKinnon signed less than a year ago under a salary cap that was only $1M lower...

• Haha
Reactions: notsocommonsense

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Smart man, will still be in his prime (or still REALLY good) at 30, he can sign an 8 year contract then.

I agree.

At 26, it's the team's best interest to lock into a 8 year deal. At 30, it's in the player's best interest to get a 8 year deal.

A 30 year old star ufa is always a tricky situation for GMs to navigate, particularly in a situation where that player is seen as the franchise cornerstone. It likely backs the leafs into a more uncomfortable situation at that time than if the contract expired his his mid 30s.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
the one neat thing hear is that is that he'd only have to average 25 goals and 90 points a season over the next 5 years to become the franchise leader in goals and points (Marners got a good shot at points as well if he sticks around)

40 goal average would have him as the Leafs 1st 500 goal scorer (technically 1 goal off)

also only 12 goals and 33 points off the playoff leader in points and goals as well.

Could see some cool history in the making over the next few seasons.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Teams don't typically willingly let their franchise player go. It almost always happens at the wish of the player.

That's not even just from a hockey standpoint. It's also from a business standpoint of, "This guy sells boatloads of jerseys."

Depends on where the team is at. No guarantee the Leafs will still be in a contending mode in 5 years when the deal ends.

I'll be interested when the full details come out to see what the clauses look like. A M-NTC or less, hopefully.

They can’t. Most if they’re honest will admit that they would have preferred a long term deal. This is simply coping with the hand they’ve been dealt and trying to justify a shorter term deal.
lol what a surprise take

I agree.

At 26, it's the team's best interest to lock into a 8 year deal. At 30, it's in the player's best interest to get a 8 year deal.

A 30 year old star ufa is always a tricky situation for GMs to navigate, particularly in a situation where that player is seen as the franchise cornerstone. It likely backs the leafs into a more uncomfortable situation at that time than if the contract expired his his mid 30s.

Do people not realize this deal starts next year?

• Haha
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Yes, you already tried making this argument with MacKinnon. Which was an odd choice considering MacKinnon signed less than a year ago under a salary cap that was only $1M lower...
You named one player out of 5-6 I mentioned and alot has changed in a year. I mentioned Mack specifically if signing today would have commanded more. BTW your talking about a difference of less than 1 million, sure there is additional term but factor it in and you get what you get.

Cap going up, cost of living in general going up comparable players

People really get worked up about millionaires making 1 extra million per when all the circumstances are different.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I hate this line of thinking. It’s not the GM’s it’s the player. Leafs are stuck in the middle either giving him what he wants or trading him / letting him walk and becoming a worse team.
That’s fair. Better players like McDavid and Crosby and even his peers like McKinnon left money on the table to help build a better team. But you can’t force a player to do that.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Alright. Would have preferred 5 years, but 4 is fine too. No need to lock up a player into their mid 30’s on 8-digit deals.

He needs to step up his leadership and playoff performances to be worth this money, though. Highest paid player in the league needs to be worth it.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Depends on where the team is at. No guarantee the Leafs will still be in a contending mode in 5 years when the deal ends.

I'll be interested when the full details come out to see what the clauses look like. A M-NTC or less, hopefully.

lol what a surprise take

Do people not realize this deal starts next year?

Okay, 31. You can replace 30 with 31 in my post, and it doesn't change any of my thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad