Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I dont think the cap hit is unmanageable, what I do think is unmanageable is the 4 year commitment, the Leafs basically just gave up all there new cap for Matthews

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Is Matthews really $1 million better than Nate MacKinnon?
$2 million better than David Pastrnak?
$3 million better than Alexander Barkov?
$4 million better than Brayden Point or Matthew Tkachuk or Cale Makar?
$5 million better than Tim Stutzle?
$6 million better than Tage Thompson?

Those are all recent contracts given some very, very good hockey players.

There’s a lot of opportunity cost tied up in that deal. Im finding it very difficult to find a lens where this is a “good” contract for the Leafs.
This entire post is kinda misleading. Most of those contracts were RFA deals and there's absolutely a difference between RFA and UFA.

The bigger issue than the dollar amount is the term. Dude is allergic to signing a long term deal. But I bet he'll have no problem signing for 8 years when he's 30.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Is Matthews really $1 million better than Nate MacKinnon?
$2 million better than David Pastrnak?
$3 million better than Alexander Barkov?
$4 million better than Brayden Point or Matthew Tkachuk or Cale Makar?
$5 million better than Tim Stutzle?
$6 million better than Tage Thompson?

Those are all recent contracts given some very, very good hockey players.

There’s a lot of opportunity cost tied up in that deal. Im finding it very difficult to find a lens where this is a “good” contract for the Leafs.
Lmao, Tage Thompson? When did he sign again?

Like you're trying to make a point I get it, but you're using very terrible examples.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
This entire post is kinda misleading. Most of those contracts were RFA deals and there's absolutely a difference between RFA and UFA.

The bigger issue than the dollar amount is the term. Dude is allergic to signing a long term deal. But I bet he'll have no problem signing for 8 years when he's 30.

And as long as it's not with Toronto, I will be ok with it.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
People are so wrapped up in ”market value” that they are completely forgetting what matters to the franchise is return on investment.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Around 15% of the cap, same as Matthews/MacKinnon, at that time it will be around 14 million potentially.
Matthews/McKinnon are not the same. Half the length in contract make a huge difference. Matthews contract puts him on level with McDavids contract because of the length.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
People are so wrapped up in ”market value” that they are completely forgetting what matters to the franchise is return on investment.
How are we supposed to evaluate ROI when the deal doesn't start for a year?

Matthews/McKinnon are not the same. Half the length in contract make a huge difference. Matthews contract puts him on level with McDavids contract because of the length.
Correct, I am glad we won't have to pay our guy until he's 35 like the Avs will.

Reactions: Curufinwe

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
At least Dubas isn’t the only GM to now give him top dollar while buying not enough years.
Because the two GMs had the exact same circumstances to make the same player-tilted deal?

Come on now.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
So by this logic Marner will be getting $14 mil - $16 mil per season assuming he keeps his current success when he contract is up.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
People are slamming the length but I feel a little relieved to be honest.

We're getting 12 years of Matthews, including all of his prime. Why would we want to pay him 13+ million at age 33 or 34?

While I would have preferred 5 years, I definitely would take 4 over 8. Word on twitter (no good source yet) is that Matthews camp was willing to sign 8 but got around 13m, and the Leafs weren't interested.

Considering his back and wrist issues, I think this is actually a savvy contract for ol' Brad.

So much for going to Arizona.
Yeah, I think Toronto having a five year window is good and then they can reassess in 2028/29.

8 years is a really long time in hockey, so I wish the league had been able to get max contract length down to 5 years for UFAs/6 years for players that are on the reserve list at the last trade deadline.

He's worth whatever his situation allows. With a NMC and knowing the Leafs needed him far more than he needs them, he basically controlled the entire negotiation. Toronto absolutely couldn't afford to let him walk for nothing. That would be a complete disaster.

Any team in Toronto's scenario would have signed this contract. The problem was giving him a NMC to begin with.
I highly doubt they wanted to move him at the deadline versus getting him for another four years. The NMC is not the problem here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
i don't give a shit if it's a bad deal LOL. He's signed for 4 years, we get him for another 5 years. That's a win in my eyes.

And no it's logic, go watch other sports, you'll quickly realize the NHL as an entity takes advantage of it's players more than any of the other major sports. There is no innovation, no motivation to help the players earn more or even try to drive up league revenue. It's beyond disgusting.
You’re really upset over 1%.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I don't think it's that bad a deal. Maybe a bit of a hometown premium rather than a hometown discount though. I think if Matthews picked his destination in UFA it would be a 7yr/12.75AVV type deal.

If I'm the Maple Leafs, I don't mind the 4 year term. He's under contract for the next 5 years, which is a nice long stretch in professional sports. The next contract could be for less AVV.

Reactions: Neil Racki

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
People can hate Matthews for clearly wanting contracts that fall in line with getting bigger pay days faster, and taking a larger piece of the pie away from his teammates, but as long as you can bet on yourself and stay healthy enough, why not? This could set him up for 2 more 3 year deals with a higher cap. :)

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He has to play 82 games though, which he's done once. Until then, he averages 43 goals a season.
Until it comes time for assessing other players - in which case we use completely different standards on the main board.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Correct, I am glad we won't have to pay our guy until he's 35 like the Avs will.
I’m enjoying Leafs fans openly cheering against their own player to justify this contract.

Don’t worry. The Leaf’s will still have him when he’s 35. I expect the same discount he’s always gotten. But I’m not cheering for Matthews to get injured so maybe I’m a little more optimistic than many Leaf’s fans in this thread.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
NHL players (and especially superstars) are ridiculously superstitious. Just look at Crosby with all the 87's throughout his career.
It's true, but in Crosby's case, the $8.7m on his first contract was also sky-high in terms of Cap Hit %. 17.3% under the current $83.5m cap hit = AAV of $14,442,346.

It also took him straight to UFA after only five years.... kind of like this Matthews deal.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I’m enjoying Leafs fans openly cheering against their own player to justify this contract.

Don’t worry. The Leaf’s will still have him when he’s 35. I expect the same discount he’s always gotten. But I’m not cheering for Matthews to get injured so maybe I’m a little more optimistic than many Leaf’s fans in this thread.
Such a bizarre, negative take, but I guess I should expect that around here. If you dont have any subjective takes and are just here to bait, no reason to read your posts moving forward. Bye Felicia!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad