Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Don't mind the AAV, considering he is a perennial playoff choke artist. Hate the term. For 13.25 he should have signed for 8 years at that. The cap is going way up, supposedly, so 8 years wouldn't hurt so bad. He'll be doing this bs again in 4 years.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
It looks like this season might be he end of the line for the Leafs.

The season after, they will have over $35M tied up in just Matthews, Marner and Tavares. That's completely insane.

If Nylander knows what is good for him, he won't re-sign.

I am going to bookmark this - I bet we still finish higher than the Habs! :D

Next year will be the pinch year, but after that you have Matthews and Marner in their primes, and no albatross in Tavares on the books. That will be an exciting year.

Don't mind the AAV, considering he is a perennial playoff choke artist. Hate the term. For 13.25 he should have signed for 8 years at that. The cap is going way up, supposedly, so 8 years wouldn't hurt so bad. He'll be doing this bs again in 4 years.
No thanks, don't want to pay him 13+ until he's 34. We will let someone else do that.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
I am going to bookmark this - I bet we still finish higher than the Habs! :D

Next year will be the pinch year, but after that you have Matthews and Marner in their primes, and no albatross in Tavares on the books. That will be an exciting year.

No thanks, don't want to pay him 13+ until he's 34. We will let someone else do that.
There are/were tons of players play well into their 30's and be productive. Ovechkin turns 38 before the 2023/24 season starts and scored 42 last year. Matthews is close to the same size as ovechkin.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
There are/were tons of players play well into their 30's and be productive. Ovechkin turns 38 before the 2023/24 season starts and scored 42 last year. Matthews is close to the same size as ovechkin.

Sure, but are they worth their prime salaries?

Not to mention Matthews has missed a lot of time with back and wrist issues. I don't remember Ovechkin ever missing that much time with similar injuries.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
The most entertaining part of all this, to me, will be Toronto management turning around and trying to tell Nylander that he's not worth ~$9M.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
He does have to wait for the arena to be built

Apologies if this joke has been made already. Just started reading the 39 page thread.
I am not even sure Leaf fans could be mad about that. We're getting 12 years of service time and his prime. If he walks to Arizona, it is what it is.

Just glad he's committed and all in on the next 5 years.

The most entertaining part of all this, to me, will be Toronto management turning around and trying to tell Nylander that he's not worth ~$9M.
Or Nylander will just walk at the end of the year. I am sadly prepared for it.

Not Matthews fault, he didn't sign Tavares.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I am not even sure Leaf fans could be mad about that. We're getting 12 years of service time and his prime. If he walks to Arizona, it is what it is.

Just glad he's committed and all in on the next 5 years.

Or Nylander will just walk at the end of the year. I am sadly prepared for it.

Not Matthews fault, he didn't sign Tavares.

I have a hard time blaming anything on Matthews simply because he's one of the world's elite at his talent, and I can't blame a guy for maximizing his pay days.

But, I can laugh when he claims he's serious about bringing the Cup back to Toronto, and then handicaps them with contracts like this.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
People are slamming the length but I feel a little relieved to be honest.

We're getting 12 years of Matthews, including all of his prime. Why would we want to pay him 13+ million at age 33 or 34?

While I would have preferred 5 years, I definitely would take 4 over 8. Word on twitter (no good source yet) is that Matthews camp was willing to sign 8 but got around 13m, and the Leafs weren't interested.

Considering his back and wrist issues, I think this is actually a savvy contract for ol' Brad.

So much for going to Arizona.
The amount of people that don't understand this. People HATE the Tavares contract, but would be happy paying Auston 13M until he's 34?

Karlsson just scored 100 points as a D man, he's getting 11.5M at 33 years old and people already hate that contract, but somehow paying Auston 2M more at the same age would be ideal ? lmao

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
The amount of people that don't understand this. People HATE the Tavares contract, but would be happy paying Auston 13M until he's 34?

Karlsson just scored 100 points as a D man, he's getting 11.5M at 33 years old and people already hate that contract, but somehow paying Auston 2M more at the same age would be ideal ? lmao

I don't expect anyone to care. The vultures are out to do the usual "Lol Leafs bad" thing.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

Isnt matthews considered a generational player by some on here?

Was crosby not a top 10 player in his age 32 to 34 years?

Was OV not a top 10ish player in age 32-34 years?

Mcdavid is he expected to be fallen off and irreleveny by age 32-34 years?

All the other elite talent are expected to be elite to their mid 30s while the leafs player is having excuses made that he will fall off by 31 so best to avoid a long term deal

How can a player get the same % as a better or equivalent Mackinnon who signed only a bit over a year ago at half the term?

Did the Avs not think Mackinnon was going to be washed by year 5-8 of the deal? Or are they confident that the 2nd or 3rd best player in the league wont drop below top 10ish level by the end of the deal for which cap increase will adjust his contract automatically?

We can say their is a benefit to the deal if Matthews falls off in 3 years sharply sure. But this wasn't something Matthews cared for or did for us. If he falls off its bad luck, he wanted to maximize his earnings and will be looking at 13-15M on his next deal at 31

If he is still a 90ish pt player he likely find 12M at minimum on the open market at full length giving him one final huge pay day after 100M over 9 years with toronto

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Great player, not a great AAV. 4 Years is perfectly fine, that's the full length of their remaining window, if they start slowing down they will trade him at the deadline his final season.

I wouldn't like having that much cap tied up in 4 forwards, should they keep Nylander, but I guess that's a cost associated with having those great players on your team. Think a difficult decision should have been made, but it is what it is.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Part of what has led to Ovechkin having as successful career as he's had is other-worldly durability. Dude has never had a major injury in his career and has barely missed any games due to injury.

Not saying Matthews can't have career longevity, but that kind of durability is rare in hockey. Pretty sure Matthews has already missed more games due to injury than Ovechkin.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Capfriendly has no NTC or NMC currently for any year, have the details not come out yet or is this true?

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Capfriendly has no NTC or NMC currently for any year, have the details not come out yet or is this true?
That would be amazing.

Isnt matthews considered a generational player by some on here?

Was crosby not a top 10 player in his age 32 to 34 years?

Was OV not a top 10ish player in age 32-34 years?

Mcdavid is he expected to be fallen off and irreleveny by age 32-34 years?

All the other elite talent are expected to be elite to their mid 30s while the leafs player is having excuses made that he will fall off by 31 so best to avoid a long term deal

How can a player get the same % as a better or equivalent Mackinnon who signed only a bit over a year ago at half the term?

Did the Avs not think Mackinnon was going to be washed by year 5-8 of the deal? Or are they confident that the 2nd or 3rd best player in the league wont drop below top 10ish level by the end of the deal for which cap increase will adjust his contract automatically?

We can say their is a benefit to the deal if Matthews falls off in 3 years sharply sure. But this wasn't something Matthews cared for or did for us. If he falls off its bad luck, he wanted to maximize his earnings and will be looking at 13-15M on his next deal at 31

If he is still a 90ish pt player he likely find 12M at minimum on the open market at full length giving him one final huge pay day after 100M over 9 years with toronto
The Avs would have had to pay more to shave years of Mackinnon's contract. That is pretty obvious.

People confuse the upside of 8 year deals....it's good when it's Jack Hughes and you get him until he's in his late 20s, it's less good when you have to pay for players in their mid 30s.

For example, Karlsson and JT are both 32. Both need or would need retention in any trade ebcause they are no longer worth their contracts.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I get why Matthews pushed for 4 but if I'm Treliving I'm very happy about it as well. 4 years of prime and then you can trade him at the deadline or let him walk as an UFA and let another sucker take the non prime years.
The Leafs will NEVER trade Matthews. Contenders don’t trade key pieces they add more pieces.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Is this the second time is definitively leaving?

15% AAV is fine.
I would have liked 1 more year. I didn’t want the full 8. I don’t think he will age well. I think get his prime. Trade him with a year left.
Poor Leafs fans are a mess over this contract. Some are now actively hoping for him to get injured to justify the length of the contract. Wow!

Again, the Leafs will NEVER trade Matthews. Not happening that makes no sense unless Leaf’s fans are now also hoping for their team to drop off a cliff to justify this god awful contract.

The only things that justify this contract are BAD for the Leafs.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Oh boy, can't wait to see all of the Leafs fans turn on Treliving for losing the negotiation with Matthews like they did with Dubas.
This extension by Treliving is the natural, funneled extension of the Dubas deal give or take some term.

Toronto’s options were limited by Dubas’ work. Matthews’ leverage exists because of Dubas’ work.

Treliving salvaged what could be salvaged with the other option being losing Dubas’/Toronto’s investment for nothing.

Treliving is going to be judged post-Tavares.

For now it’s abundantly clear he’s cleaning up now and in the near future, the table Dubas set up for this club.

And I say that keeping in mind Dubas operated in pre-pandemic NHL. But signing Tavares in conjunction to “the big three” having outstanding years was the domino that set all the others in motion that Dubas felt he was obliged to push along.

Toronto’s window for contention for the iteration of this Leafs club will be for a couple of years after Tavares’ contract is off the books.

Can’t see it being longer than that unfortunately.

And I think most of the informed fanbase is of that apprehension. Past “losing our minds”.

Comfortably numb.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Is Matthews really $1 million better than Nate MacKinnon?
$2 million better than David Pastrnak?
$3 million better than Alexander Barkov?
$4 million better than Brayden Point or Matthew Tkachuk or Cale Makar?
$5 million better than Tim Stutzle?
$6 million better than Tage Thompson?

Those are all recent contracts given some very, very good hockey players.

There’s a lot of opportunity cost tied up in that deal. Im finding it very difficult to find a lens where this is a “good” contract for the Leafs.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Is Matthews really $1 million better than Nate MacKinnon?
$2 million better than David Pastrnak?
$3 million better than Alexander Barkov?
$4 million better than Brayden Point or Matthew Tkachuk or Cale Makar?
$5 million better than Tim Stutzle?
$6 million better than Tage Thompson?

Those are all recent contracts given some very, very good hockey players.

There’s a lot of opportunity cost tied up in that deal. Im finding it very difficult to find a lens where this is a “good” contract for the Leafs.

The only thing you've shown with this breakdown is how little you understand about NHL contracts. Age, RFA years, context of their production before they signed their deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad