Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
You defending a move that no other team in the league would have made. Every other star in this league is signed for 8 years to their team. His social media #mapleleafsforever is an absolute joke.

If he wanted to be here and build a winner he would have signed for 8 years and he wouldn’t have taken much more than McKinnon. Stop defending a dumb move. He isn’t worth 13.25 now or next year when his contract kicks in. I can’t believe I have to explain this and I’m a TML fan or was one.

He's worth whatever his situation allows. With a NMC and knowing the Leafs needed him far more than he needs them, he basically controlled the entire negotiation. Toronto absolutely couldn't afford to let him walk for nothing. That would be a complete disaster.

Any team in Toronto's scenario would have signed this contract. The problem was giving him a NMC to begin with.

The one good thing about this outcome is Matthews has to produce. He's not getting his 16-18M dream deal four years from now if he isn't a consistent top tier player in the league every season. Guy's really betting on himself being a superstar.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He sure seems to be betting on himself with these short term deals.

If you're one of the best players in the league there is very little downside to doing this. I would assume on his next deal he does sign a long-term deal since it will be his last really big deal.

Will only not work out if he gets injured alot.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
if Matthews isn't a generational goal scorer than McDavid def isn't a generational player, because how come he can't get the Oilers over the hump with his insane production 🤣
It’s hard to win when your defence, and especially goaltending is going out of their way to cost you games. McDavid and Draisaitl have shown the intensity it takes to win in this league. They don’t have the support cast. Matthews is the polar opposite. He melts like ice along with other members of the Leafs

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
So he can re-up after McDavid/Draisaitl get their new deals and he can be the highest paid player again.
Auston played this well.

Gets to really cash in, in 4 years from now.

At that point he'll still be 29 or 30 so teams will still be willing to go max term, and the cap will be anywhere from $15-20M higher then it is today.

Assuming he doesn't regress hard, he signs for like 7x$18M as a UFA in 4 years on the open market probably. Or maybe stays with Toronto for like 8x$16.5M sort of thing.
Talk about truly maximizing one‘s earning capabilities. I am pretty impressed.

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
Matthews would be more than a regular season champ if leafs wouldn't have this rotten luck of getting out-goalied every playoffs. That's just astronomical bad luck.

They need to keep the same core and run it back. Next time will be different.

I really hope this deal pushes Nylander out to a team with more luck. He deserves it

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Matthews would be more than a regular season champ if leafs wouldn't have this rotten luck of getting out-goalied every playoffs. That's just astronomical bad luck.

They need to keep the same core and run it back. Next time will be different.

I really hope this deal pushes Nylander out to a team with more luck. He deserves it

Last couple of seasons was not bad luck. The Leafs deliberately went with really cheap goalies to be able to afford their expensive forward core ( and they're doing it again next season ) and those more often than not will blow up in your face at some point.

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
NHL players (and especially superstars) are ridiculously superstitious. Just look at Crosby with all the 87's throughout his career.

Look closely and you'll find the obvious pattern emerging from Mathews' contracts since exiting his rookie deal. It's laughable in its simplicity, really.:laugh:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This is a great contract for the Leafs. They now have their superstar locked up for the next five years of his prime. Odds look pretty darned good that group wins at least 1 Cup during that time too with AM leading the charge.,

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Laus723 and bert

Strangle

May 4, 2009
There is some sense in this. This contract is a bit bad but if they let him walk at the end of it then it wont be so bad. If they sign him to an 8 year deal after this one then the Leafs are suckers and did exactly what Matthews was setting them or another team up for. Another 8 years at 13+ million. And likely even higher at the time

Where’s golden jet?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
This is a great contract for the Leafs. They now have their superstar locked up for the next five years of his prime. Odds look pretty darned good that group wins at least 1 Cup during that time too with AM leading the charge.,

Pretty sure we were hearing that quite a bit, right after they signed Tavares.

Five years and one series win later, it's hard (for some) to be as optimistic, I think.

Reactions: bert

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
It looks like this season might be he end of the line for the Leafs.

The season after, they will have over $35M tied up in just Matthews, Marner and Tavares. That's completely insane.

If Nylander knows what is good for him, he won't re-sign.
LOL.

People not realizing Tavares is coming off the books in 2 years + cap growth is the funniest thing about this thread.

Before the Matthews signing "LOL Leafs he's going to LA or Arizona!"

After the Matthews signing "LOL overpaid, bad cap management!"

Reactions: Voight

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
People are slamming the length but I feel a little relieved to be honest.

We're getting 12 years of Matthews, including all of his prime. Why would we want to pay him 13+ million at age 33 or 34?

While I would have preferred 5 years, I definitely would take 4 over 8. Word on twitter (no good source yet) is that Matthews camp was willing to sign 8 but got around 13m, and the Leafs weren't interested.

Considering his back and wrist issues, I think this is actually a savvy contract for ol' Brad.

So much for going to Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad