Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
sure,

2016/17 - 4 goals in 6 games
2017/18 - 1 goal in 7 games
2018/19 - 5 goals in 7 games
2019/20 - 2 goals in 5 games
2020/21 - 1 goal in 7 games
2021/22 - 4 goals in 7 games
2022/23 - 5 goals in 11 games

Overall 22 goals in 50 games, definitely not the best, had some rough series' but definitely not the worst.

McDavid has 29 in 49, so slightly better.

Now do assists. For a guy who’s a “generational goal scorer” those are pretty pathetic numbers.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
sure,

Overall 22 goals in 50 games, definitely not the best, had some rough series' but definitely not the worst.

Slightly better?
Is that what they call over 30% more goals. Lol.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
2021-2023 Matthews>2016-2017 McDavid. McDavid's contract looks good because he's improved a lot since the time of his signing, It was not by any means a good contract the day it was signed.
It must take a bold GM to figure that a guy that wins the scoring race by 11 in his 19 year old season along with the Hart and Lindsay and was drafted 1st overall with the most hype in a decade would improve over the next 9 years. Legitimately mindblowing logic to guess that the 3rd youngest Art Ross winner in history would get better during his 20s.

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
sure,

Playoffs

Matthews: 0.44 goals per game
McDavid: 0.59 goals per game

That’s more than “slightly better”, mate.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Now do assists. For a guy who’s a “generational goal scorer” those are pretty pathetic numbers.

I love McDavid, probably my favourite player to watch outside of Marner but even his video game numbers haven't been enough to help Edmonton to win a cup, so what's your point? Both are exceptional players, both haven't really had a huge amount of success in the playoffs. McDavid is a better player than Matthews. Matthews is a better overall goal scorer.

Reactions: Voight

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
You didn’t include the 2015 part. You used only 2016-17, while you use parts of three years for Matthews.

And you don’t see anything wrong with that lol.

Again: 2016-17, McDavid made it to the playoffs, won a round, won a hart, led the league in scoring. Stuff that Matthews never sniffed in his second year.
I used ALL of 3 years for Matthews. Not parts. McDavid signed his contract in July of 2017. Why would I consider anything he has done after that to judge his contract as it was ON THE DAY of it's signing? When this contract extension kicks in Matthews while being a UFA and an arguably better player than 2016-2017 McDavid will be making 750,000 more. The only bad thing about this contract is the term but if Matthews' play or health should deteriorate the term won't even be an issue.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I love McDavid, probably my favourite player to watch outside of Marner but even his video game numbers haven't been enough to help Edmonton to win a cup, so what's your point? Both are exceptional players, both haven't really had a huge amount of success in the playoffs. McDavid is a better player than Matthews. Matthews is a better overall goal scorer.

Just not in playoffs where it counts. He seems to lag.

Production wise, McDavid blows Matthews out of the water. It’s not even comparable.

Maybe Auston Matthews isn’t a generational goal scorer like you and other Leaf fans seem to think.

• Haha
Reactions: francis246

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It must take a bold GM to figure that a guy that wins the scoring race by 11 in his 19 year old season along with the Hart and Lindsay and was drafted 1st overall with the most hype in a decade would improve over the next 9 years. Legitimately mindblowing logic to guess that the 3rd youngest Art Ross winner in history would get better during his 20s.
I’m proud to say that I called all of Gretzky, Lemieux and McDavid being great even before they played a game. I put it on my resume and sent it to all of the NHL teams but so far no takers.
But I just spotted this Bedard kid that no one’s heard of so this could be my chance.

Reactions: Hynh

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Slightly better?
Is that what they call over 30% more goals. Lol.

30% more goals what's that? He's scored 7 more goals than him in the playoffs in one less game and had two deeper runs. And guess what, both are still ringless!

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Just not in playoffs where it counts. He seems to lag.

Production wise, McDavid blows Matthews out of the water. It’s not even comparable.

Maybe Auston Matthews isn’t a generational goal scorer like you and other Leaf fans seem to think.

if Matthews isn't a generational goal scorer than McDavid def isn't a generational player, because how come he can't get the Oilers over the hump with his insane production 🤣

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I used ALL of 3 years for Matthews. Not parts. McDavid signed his contract in July of 2017. Why would I consider anything he has done after that to judge his contract as it was ON THE DAY of it's signing? When this contract extension kicks in Matthews while being a UFA and an arguably better player than 2016-2017 McDavid will be making 750,000 more. The only bad thing about this contract is the term but if Matthews' play or health should deteriorate the term won't even be an issue.

Delusional at best.

You’re using a larger sample size than McDavid. 3 years over 2.

You’re also using different time frames.

You’re also ignoring the resume McDavid already had when he signed his extension. You completely ignored his playoff success he had too, which is even more laughable compared to the “generational” goal scorer.

It’s not “arguable”. Matthews is and has always been the inferior player. No matter how many Maple Leaf themed gymnastics you keep telling yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I’m proud to say that I called all of Gretzky, Lemieux and McDavid being great even before they played a game. I put it on my resume and sent it to all of the NHL teams but so far no takers.
But I just spotted this Bedard kid that no one’s heard of so this could be my chance.
What did you think of Lindros before he was drafted?

I love the 4 year deal which is 5 more years of Matthews.

He's not the problem with the cap. It's Marner IMO. And If Nylander is looking for $10m, that's also a f***ing problem.

Matthews was a no brainer.

He may have f'd up taking a half term deal here, but is also going to collect $100M in his very early 30's.

But he has also had wrist and back issues. So from that standpoint, I'm really happy he's signed and it's not forever. Just enough time to realize it's going to be another 50+ years before my team wins a cup, and I'll be dead so who cares.

Matthews is a fun as shit player to watch. It's not my money, and I didn't screw up the cap. So I'll just enjoy this guy getting inked and not dragging this into the next season.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Delusional at best.

You’re using a larger sample size than McDavid. 3 years over 2.

You’re also using different time frames.

You’re also ignoring the resume McDavid already had when he signed his extension. You completely ignored his playoff success he had too, which is even more laughable compared to the “generational” goal scorer.

It’s not “arguable”. Matthews is and has always been the inferior player. No matter how many Maple Leaf themed gymnastics you keep telling yourself.
Holy moly your reading comprehension is about as good as WestCoastOrca's. I am not arguing Matthews is better. I have not. have never and will never assert that. That is not what this discussion is about. He had one and a half seasons played and a Ross/Hart. Matthews was a pending UFA with a Hart/Ted Lindsey/2 Rockets and back to back Hart/Ted Lindsey Runner up or better seasons. McDavid also did not have playoff success when he signed his contract in 2017. He put up 9 points in 13 games in his only playoff appearance at the time.

Reactions: authentic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad