Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
No one eversaid Crosby was paid too much. Nor would anyone say McDavid was paid too much. Generational players who both left a lot of money on the table to help build a stronger team around them.
There were plenty, wish you could go back and check some of the comments about the pens putting too much money in a few players and they couldn't build a team around.

I guess you cant look anymore since the website changed servers

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Auston is smart, he knows exactly what he's doing by not signing long term. Say he brings 3 cups to Toronto over the next 4 years, then in his 4th year he can demand 15 or 16M on his next contract and price himself out of Toronto's range. Then he departs for LA or NY with a 16M /year deal.
You do realize Leafs have the cash to outspend anyteam in the league right, frontload it and put it all in bonuses right?

Reactions: Voight

LaCarriere

Exactly, Toronto has Matthews for his prime years! Sure, 8 year contract would have been better but the Leafs still get his best prime years.

not to mention, Matthews will attract other star players. I think Matthews in mcDavid are going to make a nice one to punch down the middle for Toronto in a few years. Book it.

Can I have what drugs you're on?

Leafs have no cap space.

What star player is matthews going to attract? They have Tavares, Nylander, marner and can't win shit.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
2021-2023 Matthews>2016-2017 McDavid. McDavid's contract looks good because he's improved a lot since the time of his signing, It was not by any means a good contract the day it was signed.

McDavid was literally coming off a Hart Trophy and Art Ross winning season, the first of many and you’re saying it wasn’t a good contract?

The Leaf homer takes are something else.

Exactly, Toronto has Matthews for his prime years! Sure, 8 year contract would have been better but the Leafs still get his best prime years.

not to mention, Matthews will attract other star players. I think Matthews and McDavid are going to make a nice 1-2 punch down the middle for Toronto in a few years. Book it. Matthews staying in Toronto is huge. This speaks loud across the league.

Book what? Delusional garbage?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Mar 26, 2010
Oilers will have to give McDavid at least that, so that means 30% of the cap in two players. Ouch.
McDavid is as good as gone out of Edmonton when he has UFA in three seasons. No way he stays in that dump of a city. Everyone here likes to forget where McDavid is from where he grew up and who his childhood team is.

McDavid was literally coming off a Hart Trophy and Art Ross winning season, the first of many and you’re saying it wasn’t a good contract?

The Leaf homer takes are something else.

Book what? Delusional garbage?
He is gone. Book it.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Arizona fans and the rest of the League will have to wait another 5 years for Matthews to play in the desert. I hesr the only reason he signed his extension is because he is waiting for the new arena to be built. I'm told he will only play for hockey teams that have NHL facilities.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I can read just fine. The team friendly deal takes into account the superior quality of player. Are you dense?
On to my ignore list with you.
Oh my god please do it. If you're upset because you are missing the point of my post you aren't worth a second of mine or anyone's time.
2021-2023 Matthews>2016-2017 McDavid. McDavid's contract looks good because he's improved a lot since the time of his signing, It was not by any means a good contract the day it was signed.
@Tad Mikowsky @snowkiddin Care to debate? Matthews was putting up similar PPG to 2016-2017 McDavid while scoring significantly more goals, being better than average defensively and actually making the playoffs on a consistent basis. Easy to hide behind a laugh react.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Oh my god please do it. If you're upset because you are missing the point of my post you aren't worth a second of mine or anyone's time.

@Tad Mikowsky @snowkiddin Care to debate? Matthews was putting up similar PPG to 2016-2017 McDavid while scoring significantly more goals, being better than average defensively and actually making the playoffs on a consistent basis. Easy to hide behind a laugh react.

2016-17 is one season. Where he won an art Ross and hart trophy.

Matthews PPG is used because he was injured. And you used 3 years vs 1.

Like I said, the Leaf homer goggles are on tight tonight.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

The Oilers made the playoffs in 2016-17, I thought? Didn’t they lose to Anaheim in round 2 that season? McDavid led the league in points by 11 and dragged a junk team into the playoffs with him. Other than Draisaitl at 77 points, the next highest scoring Oiler had 51 points, just over half of Connor’s 100

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
2016-17 is one season. Where he won an art Ross and hart trophy.

Matthews PPG is used because he was injured. And you used 3 years vs 1.

Like I said, the Leaf homer goggles are on tight tonight.
No I actually used ppg because I am including a COVID shortened season. I am comparing the Matthews of 2021-2023 to the McDavid who had played half of 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 before signing his at the time largest cap hit in the league contract.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
The Oilers made the playoffs in 2016-17, I thought? Didn’t they lose to Anaheim in round 2 that season? McDavid led the league in points by 11 and dragged a junk team into the playoffs with him. Other than Draisaitl at 77 points, the next highest scoring Oiler had 51 points, just over half of Connor’s 100

There is no debate. McDavid has always, and will continue, to be the best player no matter what delusional people say.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Shall we discuss his generational goal scoring in the playoffs?

sure,

2016/17 - 4 goals in 6 games
2017/18 - 1 goal in 7 games
2018/19 - 5 goals in 7 games
2019/20 - 2 goals in 5 games
2020/21 - 1 goal in 7 games
2021/22 - 4 goals in 7 games
2022/23 - 5 goals in 11 games

Overall 22 goals in 50 games, definitely not the best, had some rough series' but definitely not the worst.

McDavid has 29 in 49, so slightly better.

Reactions: Voight

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
No I actually used ppg because I am including a COVID shortened season. I am comparing the Matthews of 2021-2023 to the McDavid who had played half of 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 before signing his at the time largest cap hit in the league contract.

You didn’t include the 2015 part. You used only 2016-17, while you use parts of three years for Matthews.

And you don’t see anything wrong with that lol.

Again: 2016-17, McDavid made it to the playoffs, won a round, won a hart, led the league in scoring. Stuff that Matthews never sniffed in his second year.

Point is: calling McDavids contract at the time an overpayment is pretty stupid. Especially when comparing McDavid to an inferior talent in Matthews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad