Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
For sure it's cool to see your guy get his flowers. Wouldn't ya appreciate it a little more though in a season he isn't beaten by like 20 points by the actual best player, and given the award cause it wasn't one of that clearly best players all time greatest seasons?

??? Matthews scored
No, wanted for the team to be competitive, and still try and build around him, surprised that’s not obvious.

Yet you thought it was cause he was superstitious, which might qualify for POTY.

lol stop doubling down on the superstition, I c
Most non leaf fans, are really happy, with the term and AAV, sorry to disappoint.

1.) crosby is notoriously superstitious.
2.) he did not give a massive Discoutn. He signed for 17.5 % and then signed a 100 million dollar deal when he was one hit away from the end.
3.) Friedman has reported that the pens and crosby have tried to re negotiate his deal but the league won’t allow it

He clearly didn’t want to play for that money. He never thought he could.

Fan means fanatic. You are more of a Leafs fanatic than most people who cheer for the team

4 years? Why doesn't he want to commit long term in Toronto?

MacKinnon, Pastrnak, Aho all signed long term....

Not good for the Leafs.

Why? Get his prime then trade him. That’sperfect.

Matthews at 29 with a year left will get a haul.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Ya, there was, does it mean he gives out the best contracts or the easiest to deal with?
Are you really asking this question?

He gives out the most player friendly deals per that poll

But that is subject to change

Matthews punked us again this deal, we will see what nylander and marner do.

Could just be these guys are just impossible to work with so you have to bend over

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
The energy trying to “spin” this as a negative for the leafs is hilarious. We get to watch our stud 1st overall, 50+ goal scorer, two-way centre, play for the leafs throughout his prime years. As long as you have a player like him you go for it and figure the rest out. None of this penny pinching sh**. Look at the other sports, this was a huge win for the leafs today.
Who wants to tell him?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Are you really asking this question?

He gives out the most player friendly deals per that poll

But that is subject to change

Matthews punked us again this deal, we will see what nylander and marner do.

Could just be these guys are just impossible to work with so you have to bend over

I think if both Nylander and Marner want to be here they are probably signing 8 year deals, both went longer term than Matthews last time. I don't think they have any interest in what Matthews is doing in terms of the short term deals. Marner will want an 8 year with full trade/movement protection I don't think he wants to play anywhere else.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
??? Matthews scored

1.) crosby is notoriously superstitious.
2.) he did not give a massive Discoutn. He signed for 17.5 % and then signed a 100 million dollar deal when he was one hit away from the end.
3.) Friedman has reported that the pens and crosby have tried to re negotiate his deal but the league won’t allow it

He clearly didn’t want to play for that money. He never thought he could.

Fan means fanatic. You are more of a Leafs fanatic than most people who cheer for the team

Why? Get his prime then trade him. That’sperfect.

Matthews at 29 with a year left will get a haul.
Is matthews not 1 slash away from his career ending?

And are GMs of other teams only in place to better the leafs?

Leafs dont want the "post-prime" years of Matthews at age 30 season.

Yet some team will give a haul for him and then sign him to a monster deal?

That doesnt make sense to me.

He either proves hes a top 5 game breaking player this deal and we give him 8 years 15M as a thank you for his success and a cup hopefully

Or he fails to be the expected level, we get put R1 and R2 again and then he walks as a UFA getting 10.5M x 7 or 8 with a new team who can still get 4-5 years of 85 pt 1C at 11-12% of the cap

Dont see any scenerio where he gets dealt with 1 year left on his deal

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
It's a great contract for the Leafs as long as they let AM walk if he wants max term in 5 years. Someone will give him 15x8 for his 31-39 year old seasons and it will probably be a disaster.
There is some sense in this. This contract is a bit bad but if they let him walk at the end of it then it wont be so bad. If they sign him to an 8 year deal after this one then the Leafs are suckers and did exactly what Matthews was setting them or another team up for. Another 8 years at 13+ million. And likely even higher at the time

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I think if both Nylander and Marner want to be here they are probably signing 8 year deals, both went longer term than Matthews last time. I don't think they have any interest in what Matthews is doing in terms of the short term deals. Marner will want an 8 year with full trade/movement protection I don't think he wants to play anywhere else.
Thanks to Dubas... Marner has all the leverage or Leafs lose him for nothing. There was a rumor that Nylanders list of teams was tailored so he's effectively immoveable as well.

Reactions: francis246

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Crosby was also a much better player.
Yes but people still said he was paid too much at that time. Same with Malkin. Go back and look at the threads, the 'team was going to fold with all that tied into 2 players".

Didn't turn out too bad 3 cups and a great run.

Yes Matthews isn't that caliber of player but he's a great player and was going to get paid for the current times. Just should have been a little longer termto squeeze out as much good years and continue to build around him. He's still going to be good for some years after the term is up

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Auston is smart, he knows exactly what he's doing by not signing long term. Say he brings 3 cups to Toronto over the next 4 years, then in his 4th year he can demand 15 or 16M on his next contract and price himself out of Toronto's range. Then he departs for LA or NY with a 16M /year deal.

• Haha
Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Auston is smart, he knows exactly what he's doing by not signing long term. Say he brings 3 cups to Toronto over the next 4 years, then he can demand 15 or 16M in his 4th year and price himself out of Toronto's range. Then he departs for LA or NY with a 16M /year deal.

I'm sure LA and NY are lining up to pay Matthews 16M a year from the ages of 31-38/39, you've got it all figured out.

Last edited:

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
There is some sense in this. This contract is a bit bad but if they let him walk at the end of it then it wont be so bad. If they sign him to an 8 year deal after this one then the Leafs are suckers and did exactly what Matthews was setting them or another team up for. Another 8 years at 13+ million. And likely even higher at the time
I, along with several leaf posters were fairly vocal about getting 5 or 6 years ideally . With the durability /age factor in mind as you allude to above .

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
The only ones that stay have to get paid out the ass to stay lol
He would have gotten the exact same contract from LA or Arizona if he hit the market. Calgary and Winnipeg were told by their stars that they had no shot of re-signing them. Who knows what McDavid and Draisaitl are going to do in a couple of years.

• Haha
Reactions: Tad Mikowsky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad