Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
No clue, I think most players want the security of their years past their prime secured so they take 8 year deals.

Clearly, Matthews isn't concerned about his injury and neither are the Leafs, so I'll side with them over your worry.
Of course you will lol

Matthews proving to do everything he wants which benefits him only and not the team but you pretend like it doesnt matter

Matthews must be a fake star if his 33 and 34 year seasons are a concern

At 33 and 34 Crosby was still a top 10ish player at worst

At 33 and 34 Mcdavid will still likely be a top 10 player (likely better as he is trending to be the GOAT)

Yet we are pretending Matthews - a guy leaf fans like yourself love to pretend is the 2nd best player in the league will be done/fallen off by 33/34 years?

Absurd the lengths you will go to defend plain awful moves for the TML franchise

Reactions: TS Quint

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Crosby was also a much better player.

Not disagreeing, he was better than McDavid too, and got paid accordingly... just pointing out he didn't take a discount like stated.... There were some insane cap hits, Ovechkin was close to max.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Of course you will lol

Matthews proving to do everything he wants which benefits him only and not the team but you pretend like it doesnt matter

You're right, the team gave out this contract because Matthews is still injured, got it

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Whole lot of over-reaction for a contract that is at most 2m over value, and honestly has the potential to be a good situation for the team not being saddled with a possibly declining AM at that hit (see, Tavares)

I despise the guy for how he has gone about this, and his insistence to be so highly paid over winning, but this isn’t exactly horrid.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Congrats to Matthews and his agent. 3 or 4 years was the best option now. This way he can still get that 8-year mega deal after this one. As GMs don’t really care about those couple final years.

Last edited by a moderator:

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
If I'm the Leafs I don't re-sign him unless it's a discount and/or shorter term.

It's not like Crosby got a higher cap or long term when his deal ended.
Don’t compare him to Crosby. Crosby took a discount because he wanted to. And at that stage was couple tiers ahead of AM as a player.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Congrats to Matthews and his agent. 3 or 4 years was the best option now. This way he can still get that 8-year mega deal after this one. As GMs don’t really care about those couple final years.

I wanted a 5-6 year deal, 8 is pushing it. 4 is not ideal but it is fine.

I think it is crazy that people want an 8 year deal and are also brining up his history of injuries and are vocal about how bad the Tavares contract aged...

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It's a great contract for the Leafs as long as they let AM walk if he wants max term in 5 years. Someone will give him 15x8 for his 31-39 year old seasons and it will probably be a disaster.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Ya imagine if he had signed an 8 year deal , and had to play that last year as a 34 year old, the horror,

Matthews has consistently signed for 14-15% AAV.

In 4 years it could be 15 million. He could still be great.

But.

Matthews has had consistent wrist issues for 3 years. He couldn’t hold his stick.

I love the player… but there is an absolute possibility he regresses…

Everyone thought JT for 7 was a great idea. Now everyone wants out of it.

He very well could want out in 4 years. Then Toronto trades him.

Win win

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Where are all the people eating crow who said he wanted to jump ship and play in the USA?
There doing their they would enjoy this either way. If he didn't re-sign it was haha, he didn't want to play in Canada or Toronto even if he signed the exact same deal elsewhere, and now its haha, you overpaid/didn't get enough term.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
That was a pretty cool thing, being a leaf fan. We hadn’t had a player win an individual trophy like that in …. Maybe even my lifetime.

It’s cause for celebration. That’s what happens when you have passionate fans. They celebrate when you do incredible things
For sure it's cool to see your guy get his flowers. Wouldn't ya appreciate it a little more though in a season he isn't beaten by like 20 points by the actual best player, and given the award cause it wasn't one of that clearly best players all time greatest seasons?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Don’t compare him to Crosby. Crosby took a discount because he wanted to. And at that stage was couple tiers ahead of AM as a player.

Crosby signed it based on superstition... he is the most superstitious guy in the NHL and coincidentally the discount he took happened to be 8.7 million. Nope.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Crosby signs 5 year deals at discounts.

????? Ummmm no he doesn’t?
He signed a 5 year deal at like 17%
And then signed a massive deal after multiple injuries

Friedman said he petitioned the league to change his contract

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I wanted a 5-6 year deal, 8 is pushing it. 4 is not ideal but it is fine.

I think it is crazy that people want an 8 year deal and are also brining up his history of injuries and are vocal about how bad the Tavares contract aged...
I think its crazy that you cant see that Tavares was the 15th-20th best player when he signed his UFA deal while peole like yourself are saying Matthews is the 2nd best player in the league.

Matthews also isnt slow like JT which doesnt give concern to a steep and fast fall off.

Believing that Matthews falls off for some reason just to make this seem like a good deal is funny

Kadri got 7M x 7 as a 31 as a 2C. You seriously think the leafs wont give matthews 8 years x blank again?
20th-25th best player in the league? Shut your mouth and quit while you're behind.
Last year alone he was not in the contention for best players.

25th may be too harsh but he was definatley not a top 10 player.

15-20 is probably closer. He came a generous 16th in Hart last year and ppg wise think he was outside top 15 as well.

Over 2021-2023 he is top 7 and perhaps top 5th best player after mcdavid, draisaitl, mackinnon

However people defending this deal cant pretend he had a terrible season for a player of his status, say their are injury concerns and be happy that the cocerns had no impact on his new deal. He got same cap % as Mack at half the term

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I think its crazy that you cant see that Tavares was the 15th-20th best player when he signed his UFA deal while peole like yourself are saying Matthews is the 2nd best player in the league.

Matthews also isnt slow like JT which doesnt give concern to a steep and fast fall off.

Believing that Matthews falls off for some reason just to make this seem like a good deal is funny

Kadri got 7M x 7 as a 31 as a 2C. You seriously think the leafs wont give matthews 8 years x blank again?

Last year alone he was not in the contention for best players.

25th may be too harsh but he was definatley not a top 10 player.

15-20 is probably closer. He came a generous 16th in Hart last year and ppg wise think he was outside top 15 as well.

Over 2021-2023 he is top 7 and perhaps top 5th best player after mcdavid, draisaitl, mackinnon

However people defending this deal cant pretend he had a terrible season for a player of his status, say their are injury concerns and be happy that the cocerns had no impact on his new deal. He got same cap % as Mack at half the term
If you are top 2 in Hart/Ted Lindsey voting in 2 of the last 3 seasons and swept the awards the year before hand you are not worse than a top 5 player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad