Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Dudes.

Time to admit you’re wrong about him flying for free agency asap.

Me included. Good for leafs fans he’s staying for 4 more years.
Good to see someone not keep reaching for more straws. Kudos

Obviously I want the leafs to wins. But other than eternal glory , I would love to see the last breath of the dying haters and how they try to stay afloat with their everlasting negative narrative.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I love reading threads like this.

I start with the first page that's full of "how long?" and "how much?" and maybe a little of "overpayment!" or "great deal!". Then I skip to the last page and it's always some random bullshit about some guy on a another team that has nothing to do with the signing or trade.

This thread does not disappoint.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If you are top 2 in Hart/Ted Lindsey voting in 2 of the last 3 seasons and swept the awards the year before hand you are not worse than a top 5 player.
My comment was for 2022-2023 year he was not a top 5 player or anywhere close

He was top 3 before that.

He needs to have a bounce back season as a guy like Tkachuk is very close to passing him if he can have a 3rd strong 100 pt year and Matthews doesnt have a good year.

Makar, J.Hughes, Jason robertson are other guys he will need to compete with next year.

He needs a big bounce back year after a bad Ovechkin 2011 esque season

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Screenshot_20230823_193506_Facebook.jpg

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If the players SOLE goal is to earn as much as humanly possible, then yes signing 7/8 year deals are bad for them. Personally... at what point is enough money enough money? I'm all for the smaller fish to earn as much as humanly possible. Those guys who will only earn 10-30m over their careers? Yeah they should grab all they possibly can. But Matthews will be 27 when this deal kicks in (to start that season). He will have earned ~59/60m in career earnings. Given his age and future contracts... he could easily sign a "team friendly" deal at 10/12m per for 8 years and still get paid without it impacting his financial future in any way.

At some point the money doesn't mean all that much. When an extra 10m has little bearing on your financial well being/future... wouldn't it make more sense to leave more on the table so that you have a real shot at winning? Sure the players all say they wanna win... but then you see contracts like this and you're like... you dont' really wanna win now do you?

I think it depends on the player. Matthews and Marner are signing contracts that even if they never played a game of that 2nd contract that were signed in 2019 (say injuries), due to the nature of the guaranteed contracts, that they'd still be set for life. That doesn't work for every player. These are franchise guys earning big money.

Do I think we'll see more players going this route? Honestly, probably not. I still think overwhelmingly we'll see the 7/8 year deals for most top players. Why? Because it gives them the financial security, the avoidance of having to do a new deal as often, and with what they're earning, setting them up for life with a guaranteed contract. I mean we just watched Mackinnon, Larkin and Aho sign 8 year deals, and all were coming off of well paying 2nd contracts. Meier I don't think is as much of a comparable as those others, but he also just signed an 8 yr deal, as have many others in similar circumstances to TM. Since March 1st 2023 there's been 15 7/8 year contracts signed. 19 if you want to go to Jan 1st 2023.

the NHL is to blame, how long should the owners and GARY SHITMAN get away with pinching pennies and enforcing this hard cap. I said it on the Leafs board. Matthews is looking at NBA players and going, why are their superstars signing short term deals and maximizing their earnings and us NHL superstars are happy with being told it's team first always? It's bullshit, NHL guys deserve to be paid better. I don't blame Matthews for saying you know what, it's great everyone else is okay with being underpaid but I've worked hard, I'm one of the best in the NHL, I'm going to get my full value. The MacKinnon deal is a f***ing joke. He signed way under market value and just because he did that doesn't mean that everyone else should. The system has to change, there has to be flexibility and we need more players to sign contracts like these. Would make the NHL way more entertaining and drive up overall revenue.

haha Gilbert Arenas said it best in a recent interview, there are a ton of athletes that rather have lots of money, compared to less money and ring. He even mentioned you even have pro athletes selling their rings because they don't have enough money LOL. He said the cost of taking less to win a ring in the grand scheme of things for the athlete is probably not worth it. I found that really funny.

Reactions: Voight

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
the NHL is to blame, how long should the owners and GARY SHITMAN get away with pinching pennies and enforcing this hard cap. I said it on the Leafs board. Matthews is looking at NBA players and going, why are thier superstars signing short term deals and maximizing their earnings and us NHL superstars are happy with being told it's team first always? It's bullshit, NHL guys deserve to be paid better. I don't blame Matthews for saying you know what, it's great everyone else is okay with being underpaid but I've worked hard, I'm one of the best in the NHL, I'm going to get my full value. The MacKinnon deal is a f***ing joke. He signed way under market value and just because he did that doesn't mean that everyone else should. The system has to change, there has to be flexibility and we need more players to sign contracts like these. Would make the NHL way more entertaining and drive up overall revenue.
That’s one way to convince yourself, on a bad deal.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If your using NHLPA/NHL affiliated polls wasnt there one which said dubas is the GM agents love to negotiate with the most?

Ya, there was, does it mean he gives out the best contracts or the easiest to deal with?

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Leafs top 2 centers have 24M tied up in cap space. :oops:

Time for them to start doing some damage in the playoffs.

Reactions: JKG33

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
That’s one way to convince yourself, on a bad deal.

i don't give a shit if it's a bad deal LOL. He's signed for 4 years, we get him for another 5 years. That's a win in my eyes.

And no it's logic, go watch other sports, you'll quickly realize the NHL as an entity takes advantage of it's players more than any of the other major sports. There is no innovation, no motivation to help the players earn more or even try to drive up league revenue. It's beyond disgusting.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
The energy trying to “spin” this as a negative for the leafs is hilarious. We get to watch our stud 1st overall, 50+ goal scorer, two-way centre, play for the leafs throughout his prime years. As long as you have a player like him you go for it and figure the rest out. None of this penny pinching sh**. Look at the other sports, this was a huge win for the leafs today.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The energy trying to “spin” this as a negative for the leafs is hilarious. We get to watch our stud 1st overall, 50+ goal scorer, two-way centre, play for the leafs throughout his prime years. As long as you have a player like him you go for it and figure the rest out. None of this penny pinching sh**. Look at the other sports, this was a huge win for the leafs today.

Amen!!

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I thought he was going to Zona, New York, Los Angeles ...

Ohhh nooo here come the AAV kings and queens to complain about the money. Go focus your energy on that min wage job you got
This is a real zinger!

Seems like he listened to LeBrons people. Shorter deals, higher max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad