Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Draisaitl has probably already sent him a text and thanking him for raising the yearly cash for superstars... Drai will hit the 14+ mark next and then McDavid after that will hit the 15+
Honestly as they should. Obviously as fans we all want league minimum superstars but that’s not realistic. Hockey superstars are massively underpaid compared to their peers in other sports.
Bobby Holik made $9m over 20 years ago.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Is there anyone who would take Matthews over prime Iginla?

2005-2008 wasn't prime Iginla. Matthews already has as many Rockets at Iginla did in his career. Same Pearson's, 1 more Hart. Iginla also got paid more.

The only award Iginla won from the start of the contract was the...

Mark Messier NHL leadership award :laugh:

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
I don’t like the Leafs but this isn’t a bad contract. Everyone knows that the cap is going up and Draisaitl and McDavid will cash in at a substantially higher cap hit when their current contracts are done. After this contract is done Matthews will have 12 years of service for the Leafs.

Reactions: Mr Positive

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Watching people get all worked up and trying to backhand each other over pro athletes and the contracts they sign is hilarious.

Good for AM and Leaf fans. Nice to see a star stay in Canada.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Do Leafs fans even actually care? They may as well have won the Stanley Cup in 2022 the elation they displayed over Dubas keeping his job and Matthews getting a "It's his turn; We can't give it to McDavid every year" Hart.

That was a pretty cool thing, being a leaf fan. We hadn’t had a player win an individual trophy like that in …. Maybe even my lifetime.

It’s cause for celebration. That’s what happens when you have passionate fans. They celebrate when you do incredible things

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Keep moving those goalposts. You asked and I answered. Now you're upset that there was an answer so it doesn't count. :laugh:

I have not moved any goalposts. I am more than happy to keep a conversation going (not that interested in internet speak like moving goalposts, calling my upset, and being snappy or whatever).

My point that there is no comparable to this AM contract remains true--you posting a contract signed 18 years ago in a completely different NHL proves my point. If you have a comparable that is actually relevant, you should share it. Because I can't think of a single one

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I have not moved any goalposts. I am more than happy to keep a conversation going (not that interested in internet speak like moving goalposts, calling my upset, and being snappy or whatever).

My point that there is no comparable to this AM contract remains true--you posting a contract signed 18 years ago in a completely different NHL proves my point. If you have a comparable that is actually relevant, you should share it. Because I can't think of a single one

What was different about the NHL? It was the salary cup era.

How far back are we allowed to go? The goalposts keep shifting. If we're only allowed to go back 3 days, then you're right.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I don’t like the Leafs but this isn’t a bad contract. Everyone knows that the cap is going up and Draisaitl and McDavid will cash in at a substantially higher cap hit when their current contracts are done. After this contract is done Matthews will have 12 years of service for the Leafs.
As you say - this lines up AM and Toronto for 12yrs together. If over this next 5 there’s minimal playoff success - maybe it’s Toronto that moves on.

Heck even if they win over that time, maybe it’s okay for him to catch that retirement bag in California or Arizona. (cement himself in Leaf royalty at the same time)

There’s scenarios here , it ain’t all gloom

Strangle

May 4, 2009

These are unusual times.

Do you remember another time in the NHL when the salary cap was stagnant for years, while players paid back a massive amount of escrow to the owners?

Do you remember a time that existed where after so many years of a stagnant cap, the cap was thought to rise more in a few years than it had the entire previous decade?

And do you remember what hart trophy winning players were signing their contracts right on the eve of that cap increase finally happening?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Its a lose lose situation from a team perspective.

If they trade him, they are a worse team. Giving him 13.25m when he’s hasn’t done much in playoffs isn’t going to help them win a cup.

Honestly I think hes a selfish player. He’s pretty much milked every dollar out of Toronto that he could. Hard to win like that.

Still a great deal for Toronto from a business point of view though.

Reactions: Dache

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

How far back are we allowed to go? The goalposts keep shifting. If we're only allowed to go back 3 days, then you're right.
Your comparing non salary cap signing to a salary cap signing…..it wasn’t that tough of an answer, but maybe it was tough.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Lol they were exaggerated numbers to purposely look ridiculous in order to poke fun at the people who ….

Oh nevermind, you’re not even talking in good faith here.

Look, I get it. You hate the leafs and everything ‘leaf’. I see you in every leaf thread acting like this. So let’s just cut to the chase here.

“Leafs suck!” Okay, can we go our separate ways now?
Great you looked in the mirror, we can move on.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

What makes this AM contract unique is he is a star player a year away from free agency. While staying with the team, he took a massive AAV contract that was only four years. Other players in his situation, have either moved on to a different team or signed a long-term deal. I am not sure why you are arguing against this. I literally can't think of a single example of a star player doing what AM has done since the NHL has been like this (for at least 6 or so years).

Why you think the NHL 18 years ago is relevant is confusing. What was different? What i just described (what is going on in the NHL) wasn't going on. That is what's different. The norm wasn't you sign you star 23-25 year old to long term deals. Joe Thornton at 25 a year away from free agency? Signed a three year deal. It was a thing then. Now it is not, AM's contract is unique.

Again, I am not sure what you are arguing against. AM's contract is absolutely different than every other similar player in his situation the past 6 years at least. Maybe I am forgetting someone, but I don't think I am.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
IMG_1874.jpeg

Good for him.

Now he can afford to get this abomination out of his wardrobe rotation.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Worse than Pastrnak

Makes $2mil more a year than Pastrnak

On a deal half as long as Pastrnak

Pretty significant L here.

What? He will be 31 by the time this deal ends. Given his skating abilitiy, health history; wrt to "term" of the contract thats not a bad deal. No point being stuck with a declining asset and high AAV (ex: Tavares from Leafs POV).

Only crap here is the ridiculous AAV that will handcuff the Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad