Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Good deal for both sides. Apparently Matthews wanted this amount on his first deal and the Leafs got quite the discount given his production and hardware. McDavid will obviously aim higher (and he should) and this is also wonderful as it means market prices are being paid. Hopefully the Cap goes up subsequently so all in the League can benefit.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
95% signing bonuses again, atta boy Auston. Maximize those tax breaks.
My ballpark calculation is this will allow him to save around an extra $5-6M in income tax over the course of his contract. (This is roughly equivalent to him getting paid $15-15.5M, had it all been salary). Good for Matthews for getting good tax advice.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Matthews has won two Rocket Richards in the last three years and the Hart in 2021-2022.

It is incredible that people are still debating whether he is among the very elite in the NHL, but that's HF for ya...

Great. What’s he done in the playoffs ?

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Hard to argue with 0.62 goals per game over his career so far.

Where a ‘bad’ season is still ppg and 40 goals lol

The guy has averaged over 50 goals per 82 games for his entire career so far. How many players have a stat like that?

It's an impressive stat.

But Cale Makar is a defenseman who's averaging over a point per game in both the regular season and playoffs over his career so far. He's also already won a Cup, Conn Smythe and Norris.

Over his last 3 seasons, Draisaitl has scored 403 points in 248 regular season and playoff games. That's 1.63 pts/game. How many players have had a sustained scoring run like that?

Kucherov, in his last 4 seasons, has put up 366 points in 273 games. Alongside a Cup, Hart and Art Ross.

McDavid is McDavid.

So as many have said, Matthews is not a shoe-in for "top 3". Even if you ignore last season.

Reactions: stampedingviking

Nstar to Wild

Oct 13, 2022
Minnesota
Let me ask you this.

If Matthews signed a 9 year - 12.355M deal under a higher cap after his ELC - would you have been happier?
I think most people would have preferred Matthews to sign an 8 x 11.64 million originally (vs 5 years). This would have covered 3 of the 4 years of the current extension just signed - That's my opinion anyway

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Where would you rank Ovechkin if this was 2017?

Interesting question. If you, let's say, look at 2012-2017, Ovechkin was no doubt a top-end player. But he wouldn't be a unanimous "top 3" guy. Lots of people would have had Crosby, Kane, Malkin and maybe even Doughty above him.

And I think the league had less top-end talent then than it does now.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Careful you might accidentally befriend a bunch of Leafs fans that way
1000002950.gif

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
It's an impressive stat.

But Cale Makar is a defenseman who's averaging over a point per game in both the regular season and playoffs over his career so far. He's also already won a Cup, Conn Smythe and Norris.

Over his last 3 seasons, Draisaitl has scored 403 points in 248 regular season and playoff games. That's 1.63 pts/game. How many players have had a sustained scoring run like that?

Kucherov, in his last 4 seasons, has put up 366 points in 273 games. Alongside a Cup, Hart and Art Ross.

McDavid is McDavid.

So as many have said, Matthews is not a shoe-in for "top 3". Even if you ignore last season.
Mcdavid also massively impacts Drais totals so that’s a consideration ( I know at times they play on different lines but that pp , fueled largely by Mcdavid was
/is historic ) .

Strangle

May 4, 2009
It's an impressive stat.

McDavid is McDavid.

Those are all great players, I’m not even sure how I’d rank them all. But the issue here are people saying matthews is the worst super star in the league and This contract is too much money.

People are saying pasta is better than matthews, people are saying he’s ‘done nothing’ to earn about 15% of the cap. People are saying Matthews is not only a worse player than Mackinnon, but that Mackinnon is closer to Mcdavid than matthews is to Mackinnon.

So if a couple people have matthews ranked 2-3 spots higher than you do on the ‘best players in the league’ list, I’m willing to just split the difference and move on.

The other side of thise coin, the posters absolutely insulting and shitting on matthews, those are the ones who obviously need to be told that matthews has averaged 50+ goals per 82 games over the course of 7 seasons.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't understand the shock at the term. It's been speculated for a long time from many insiders that the Matthews extension wouldn't be a long term one. That's a pretty high AAV for that short a term though. Not good news for Oilers/Draisaitl fans.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad