Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
$53,000,000 on this contract, Ill bet he maintains his value to his next 4 year contract so add $60,321,400 based on a $3m average increase in cap. That's $113,321,400 over 8 years making a 16.38% cap hit Vs. McDavid's 16.67%. That's not good but honestly better than I thought. I though he would come in above McDavid.
The fact that he's even that close to McDavid $$ wise is laughable.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Top 6-7 is arguable, heading into next year. Top 3 is a very tough case to make. Impossible, really, after last season. He was 22nd in league scoring and flamed out in the playoffs.

He could vault himself into that discussion again if he scores 50+ and gets to the ECF. We'll see if he does it.

If by flamed out in the playoffs you mean had a point in every single game until the last 3 after hurting his hand in game against Florida then sure. He basically won that series for us against Tampa.

• Haha
Reactions: sd1976 and Kerberos

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
lmao this dude is just gonna bleed the Maple Leafs dry with a new "biggest salary" contract every 4 years? That's hilarious.
If it was up to me, I wouldn't play this game next time around when Matthews is 31 years old. His durability has been questionable, and I wouldn't want to be the team that overpays for him in his declining years.

Reactions: biturbo19

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I'd blame Shanahan much more than Treliving, for sure. Treliving had no choice.

Shanahan is at fault even more than Dubas.

Sure, and like I said, if it does prove to be an outlier, he'll be in that conversation again.

Right now, he isn't. There are a lot of great players in the league. It's impossible to make a case for Matthews being better than McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon, Makar, etc. right now. Unless you're the biggest homer.

That could change if he puts up 50-55+ again. Even better if he puts the team on his back in the playoffs. But he has to do it.

Who knows who'll be a "top 3 player" after next season. For all we know, it could be McDavid at #1, Hughes at #2 and Bedard at #3. Didn't Gretzky already say Hughes is #2 in his mind?

If Matthews is healthy again then a 60 goals 100+ point two-way center is the 2nd best player in the world

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
For ppl expecting the cap to be $100M in a few years — may i ask what you expect will be driving this? I mean Gary proclivities are one thing, but you generally need revenues to back these figures up….

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
If by flamed out in the playoffs you mean had a point in every single game until the last 3 after hurting his hand in game against Florida then sure. He basically won that series for us against Tampa.

Winning 5 games in the playoffs after finishing with 111 points in the thick of your team's "window" is flaming out, yes.

And 0G 2P in 5GP against Florida is flaming out to the extreme, for an individual player.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Matthews is smilling like a butcher's dog all the way to the bank!! The fact that he's the top payed player in the league is just funny!! What has he accomplish to be the top payed player in the NHL??? Now how much is McDavid worth in is next contract, he's gonna broke the bank!!!

McDavid has always, and will continue to be, worth the max

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Matthews is smilling like a butcher's dog all the way to the bank!! The fact that he's the top payed player in the league is just funny!! What has he accomplish to be the top payed player in the NHL??? Now how much is McDavid worth in is next contract, he's gonna broke the bank!!!
The NHLPA loves Matthews...I mean Dubas.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Plenty of people have MacKinnon over Matthews.

Either way McDavid is thrilled by this. Could end up at 16

You can say Mack is better than matthews and there could be a discussion there.

But Matthews and Mackinnon are a lot closer to each other than ANYONE in the league is close to McDavid.

And if you read what I was replying to and ignored that part (you know, the only point of a single sentence post), then you’re just arguing for the sake of arguing

Attachments

• IMG_2643.jpeg
    IMG_2643.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 2

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
If Matthews is healthy again then a 60 goals 100+ point two-way center is the 2nd best player in the world

Sure, maybe. Depending on what other players do. Maybe Draisaitl scores 140 and wins the Conn Smythe.

But Matthews has only done that once in 7 seasons. He wasn't close last year.

So if he does it next year, you can have the conversation. You can't right now.

The Leafs are really hoping he splits the difference between last year and 21-22.

If he plays like he did in 21-22 it's a fair deal.
If he plays like he did in 22-23 it's a bad deal.
If he plays in between (i.e. 48 goals and 95 points) it's a slight overpayment but you can easily live with it.

In any scenario, though, the playoffs have to be a whole lot better. If the Leafs don't get to a cup final in the next 4 seasons, the Matthews era will have to be viewed as nothing short of a huge disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad