Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
I mean lets just look at sample sizes of all the players to make our points...........got it.

Nobody is denying that Matthews is in the upper echelon of players, alongside MacKinnon, Pastrnak, Kucherov, etc. Depending on the year, those guys will move around in the "rankings".

So he definitely should be paid like them. 13.25M on an 8-year deal would have been understandable. He'd get a slight "Toronto and playing in Canada" premium. Higher taxes, more pressure... you can wrap your head around that.

But getting more than MacKinnon despite demanding half the term? That's what's dumb.

Leafs had no choice or bargaining power... I get that. But he definitely took advantage. Took them to the cleaners again. That's his right, I suppose.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Good contract for player and team. Nothing wrong with settling for 4 years and betting on yourself. This can go to either Austons or the Leafs advantage in 2028.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Honestly about time top NHL players started using their leverage more. What was Toronto going to do? Trade or let him walk??
Matthews was given a full no trade clause that kicked in on July 1st thanks to Dubas, so even that option was not really on the table for Treliving.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Good contract for player and team. Nothing wrong with settling for 4 years and betting on yourself. This can go to either Austons or the Leafs advantage in 2028.
lol it’s great for the player, how does the short term and cap hit in any way benefit the team?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
That is a bad deal for Matthews IMO, great for Toronto. Unless he is feeling good about receiving a 7/8 years deal as 31 years old which I am doubtful he will get that.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Nobody is denying that Matthews is in the upper echelon of players, alongside MacKinnon, Pastrnak, Kucherov, etc. Depending on the year, those guys will move around in the "rankings".

So he definitely should be paid like them. 13.25M on an 8-year deal would have been perfectly understandable. He gets a slight "Toronto and playing in Canada" premium. That's fair.

But getting more than MacKinnon despite demanding half the term? That's what's dumb.
I never argued the bad contract, its fair but Toronto definitely whishes they could lock up a player like him longer. What I did say is many Toronto fans ripping Dubas for not being able to "negotiate" and here they are with Trev only getting a top player in the league on 4 years.

I said he was a top 3 player in the league, I think its fair and very arguable.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
That is a bad deal for Matthews IMO, great for Toronto. Unless he is feeling good about receiving a 7/8 years deal as 31 years old which I am doubtful he will get that.
yeah i would imagine he feels great about that? most guys are mid 30s and dropping off when they’re signing their final contract

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Actual footage of Auston Matthews signing contract

200w.gif

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Aav is fine for a top 5 player with a massive cap spike. With the remaining year on his deal this is 5 years of knowing AM34 anchors the franchise.
How do you see that spike looking? How much on average over the next 8 years?

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Okay but after THIS one he's going to Arizona.

This contract ending should coincide nicely with the opening of the new Coyotes arena in Mesa. Matthews may want to go to home to Arizona but he ain’t playing in some chump-ass college arena where you gotta pay for your own soda.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Don’t get your panties in a knot, just explaining to you , how it will unfold. Relax dude.
Yeah we spent the last 5 years with everyone just explaining how it would unfold and how Matthews was going to leave.
It turns out Leafs fans had a better understanding of the process than most others

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

So he definitely should be paid like them. 13.25M on an 8-year deal would have been understandable. He'd get a slight "Toronto and playing in Canada" premium. Higher taxes, more pressure... you can wrap your head around that.

Leafs had no choice or bargaining power... I get that. But he definitely took advantage. Took them to the cleaners again. That's his right, I suppose.
I disagree. Players career peak is between 24 and 30 years old. He will not get that much terms/salary after that peak. Toronto basically will have Matthews for the greatest part/all of AM peak.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Have you ever watched these players? Matthews last 2 seasons 1.30 points per game. Mackinnon 1.46 and a cup. He also drives the offence on his line. Not Marner.
Never watched them................Nates one of my favorite players to watch.

Lets see what a younger Matthews can do, he point on a clinic in 21-22

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
I never argued the bad contract, its fair but Toronto definitely whishes they could lock up a player like him longer. What I did say is many Toronto fans ripping Dubas for not being able to "negotiate" and here they are with Trev only getting a top player in the league on 4 years.

I said he was a top 3 player in the league, I think its fair and very arguable.

Top 6-7 is arguable, heading into next year. Top 3 is a very tough case to make. Impossible, really, after last season. He was 22nd in league scoring and flamed out in the playoffs.

He could vault himself into that discussion again if he scores 50+ and gets to the ECF. We'll see if he does it.

Reactions: JKG33
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad