Confirmed with Link: [TOR/DAL] Leafs acquire rights to Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th rd selection

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
2 days before he becomes FA is wierd. Either they have something lined up or they are worried about other teams

I don't mind throwing away a 7th round pick IF the idea is to get him on a fair deal vs going against other teams.

To me that is smart.

Problem is.............Tanev's agent probably has a pretty good idea what he's going to get.

And then I worry that by trading a late pick for negotiaton rights Tre is going to feel like he has to make the signing.

We're probably boned.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Way back when they both were younger they had pretty good chemistry at the Worlds for a year or 2. Obviously we wanted him back then and now is different but he plays the kind of style you want for a Rielly partner. He's going to be out of the league within 4 years with injuries probably so I don't mind going full stupid and doing 8 x 3.0 rather than 5 x 4.8 and just expecting the last half to be permanent LTIR. He's kind of the ideal candidate for it if the league still lets you get away with in in 4 to 5 years.

They need puck moving abilities from the back end though. They need someone to pair with McCabe. Like Montour. Not sure Roy is enough offense, especially if we move Liljegren. We can't run Rielly, Tanev, McCabe, Roy, Benoit + whatever defensive D they try to sign for the last spot.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
He’s 35 yo, they don’t need more old slow guys on D.
He's going to be 35, being under 35 helps contractually. I am ok with Tanev if he is the second best Dman we sign this off-season which is why I want a lower AAV.

He was pretty important for Dallas this year, there was even Conn Smythe talk if they won the cup. I know he is aging and declining, again low AAV by long term.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He can sign for 10 years if we win a title while he is here the job is done, enough with this bitching, we finally have a partner for Rielly

We haven't won anything yet and Rielly has had some good D partners (at least for the playoffs).

Rielly/Schenn was one of the best D pairings we've ever had, not sure Tanev/Rielly can trump it. They dominated.

Lub/Rielly was really good too, would be surprised if it can be better than that either.

Having said that, if/when they sign Tanev, we can judge the signing then, but there is a legit concern around a contract of an often injured 34 year old and how he will perform moving forward.

• Wow
Reactions: bax and arso40

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
If it brings his average down really low I wouldn't care if they sign him for 8 years.

If he signs the contract now it won't count as a 35+ contract will it? So he could retire without it affecting the cap?

How much could they front load an 8x3.5M or 8x4M deal so that he could retire year 6?

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
We haven't won anything yet and Rielly has had some good D partners (at least for the playoffs).

Rielly/Schenn was one of the best D pairings we've ever had, not sure Tanev/Rielly can trump it. They dominated.

Lub/Rielly was really good too, would be surprised if it can be better than that either.

Having said that, if/when they sign Tanev, we can judge the signing then, but there is a legit concern around a contract of an often injured 34 year old and how he will perform moving forward.
people need to watch Dallas in this years playoffs!
he's been healthy and at the end of the day...Leafs got allot better today for this upcoming season...if he extends!
and Rielly finally has a chance to play with a legit partner

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
people need to watch Dallas in this years playoffs!
he's been healthy and at the end of the day...Leafs got allot better today for this upcoming season...if he extends!
and Rielly finally has a chance to play with a legit partner

I can almost guarantee that Tanev/Rielly won't touch Rielly/Schenn.

My point was that Rielly has meshed well with some other partners, I think best partner needs to also come with chemistry.

If Tanev can keep that level of play for 3 years, great, I just have doubts, that is all.

I am cautiously optimistic that this could be a good deal.

I wanted Demelo, Tanev is a good second option if the contract is reasonable. I also mostly wanted Demelo because I thought Tanev was going to get overpaid, but it looks like Demelo is also being overpaid, so it doesn't matter.

Reactions: bax

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Tanev is arguably one of the worst of the options out there. among the top 4 guys
If you think Tanev is the worst option you clearly don’t know hockey. He’s arguably the best option available…. Unless you’re referring to injuries then that would be the only leg you have to stand on.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Kinda bizarre we didn't pick him up at the TDL when he cost so little. Maybe that's he CGY factor

We tried to trade for both Tanev and Zadorov at the deadline but Calgary famously took less for both guys out of spite towards Tre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad