Confirmed with Link: [TOR/DAL] Leafs acquire rights to Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th rd selection

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
you guys realize there will be allot of teams on him July 1
this is getting ahead of the game
should be short term deal though

and hasn't he been healthy last few seasons, I know he looks very good in playoffs and type of player we have desperately needed for some time!!

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
8 year deal and LTIR for the last few year I am assuming? Doesn't feel warm and fuzzy about it but meh I guess we will probably suck in 5 years anyways.

If there is anyone who can be on LTIR without too many questions, it is probably Tanev... but it is crazy to just assume people can go on LTIR if they are not injured.

The NHL really needs to clean up LTIR.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Hope its low AAV spread out over 5-6 years. Then he visits Robadas Island to finish off his career.
That’s blatant cap circumvention. If they sign him for any more than 2 yrs, I hope the NHL closes that loophole and doesn’t allow it. Make him retire and eat the cap hit.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I am excited to see an overpayment in term and AAV for a man made of glass.

I hope they play this smart.
yeah, I hope the Leafs brass are as smart as people on HF Boards.

I am not picking on you specifically, but the Armchair GM-ing is reaching new heights with this draft and pending UFA season.

These guys know what they are doing. They might not be better at it than every other GM in the league, but we have to assume they are better at it than anyone here or working for a network right now. Those draft lists are made up by people who can't get jobs doing the same thing for NHL teams.

I hope they play it smart too. I would like to see a long term deal at a lower AAV...like six years x $2.75M and then we LTIR him for the the final 3 or 4 years. He is under 35, so we can still benefit from LTIR on his deal.

I would why we didn't wait until July 1? Wanted to make sure? It can't be an eight year deal.

Reactions: Dragao6

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
They are not going to sign him long term. They want to get in early to get in a position for better negotiations

He'll most likely get 3 years

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Several teams have cleared a lot of cap and are going to be making a splash in UFA. This guarantees you get at least one of your guys with another useless contract going the other way. Can’t risk losing out on two of your targets and ending up with a Klingberg consolation prize.

Tanev better not be plan A on defense though. He’s a good piece but age/injuries will make him a LTIR option sooner than later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad