Confirmed with Link: [TOR/DAL] Leafs acquire rights to Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th rd selection

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Absolutely nobody in their right mind should believe that

Its dumb that the hockey media guys pretend that's true

They probably havent talked money.

Just whether Tanev prefers 5, 6, 7 or 8 day vacations best and how many Margs he can pound back total for each of the options

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
Several teams have cleared a lot of cap and are going to making a splash in UFA. This guarantees you get at least one of your guys with another useless contract going the other way.

Tanev better not be plan A on defense though. He’s a good piece but age/injuries will make him a LTIR option sooner than later.
I hope people start questioning why Rielly escapes all criticism and is never seen in the top 2 of "the plan" at what he is paid. Putrid defense and a terrible PP when it matters.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
yeah, I hope the Leafs brass are as smart as people on HF Boards.

I am not picking on you specifically, but the Armchair GM-ing is reaching new heights with this draft and pending UFA season.

These guys know what they are doing. They might not be better at it than every other GM in the league, but we have to assume they are better at it than anyone here or working for a network right now. Those draft lists are made up by people who can't get jobs doing the same thing for NHL teams.

I hope they play it smart too. I would like to see a long term deal at a lower AAV...like six years x $2.75M and then we LTIR him for the the final 3 or 4 years. He is under 35, so we can still benefit from LTIR on his deal.

I would why we didn't wait until July 1? Wanted to make sure? It can't be an eight year deal.

At no point during his career has Treliving shown he knows what he is doing, so I am not sure you can make that claim.

Having said that, I am optimistic about this and hope it is 3 years at the absolute maximum and that Treliving has learned from some of his past mistakes.

LTIR requires an injured player in case you were unaware.

225th overall + a prospect who you were going to let their rights expire is not a big deal to get some clarity on the deal ahead of time, so the price is nothing.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
yeah, I hope the Leafs brass are as smart as people on HF Boards.

I am not picking on you specifically, but the Armchair GM-ing is reaching new heights with this draft and pending UFA season.

These guys know what they are doing. They might not be better at it than every other GM in the league, but we have to assume they are better at it than anyone here or working for a network right now. Those draft lists are made up by people who can't get jobs doing the same thing for NHL teams.

I hope they play it smart too. I would like to see a long term deal at a lower AAV...like six years x $2.75M and then we LTIR him for the the final 3 or 4 years. He is under 35, so we can still benefit from LTIR on his deal.

I would why we didn't wait until July 1? Wanted to make sure? It can't be an eight year deal.
He’s 35 yo, they don’t need more old slow guys on D.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
That’s blatant cap circumvention. If they sign him for any more than 2 yrs, I hope the NHL closes that loophole and doesn’t allow it. Make him retire and eat the cap hit.
What? How would they close the loophole? Tell teams they can't sign a 34 year old to more then a 2 year deal? You aren't making sense lol

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I desperately want the NHL to make the use of LTIR more legitimate, unless we sign Tanev for more than 3 years, in which case, I think the use of LTIR in the NHL is fine.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I assume they’ll announce the contract soon? Seems like a trade you make only to avoid a tampering allegation lol

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
What? How would they close the loophole? Tell teams they can't sign a 34 year old to more then a 2 year deal? You aren't making sense lol
If they sign him to an 8 yr contract and try to put him on LTIR in the 2026, I hope the NHL says no way.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
5 more like, They should've got him when they were tanking for Hughes and Pettersson.

I would've cost Johnsson or Kapanen + at that time but it would've been worth it.

Eh, Tanev has been one of the best defensive players in the league the last 3 years.

I would've happily taken him with his level of play for 2-3 years, though obviously 5 would have been better we missed the boast several times the last half a decade.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not a big fan of trading for negotiation rights and am also a bit worried about contract term correlating to his age. Can't deny him being an upgrade for our blueline though. There's even an opportunity for some offence to filter through when serving as a complement to Rielly. Fingers crossed and let's go!

Last edited:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I don’t know why I hate transactions like this, just wait and if you can’t afford his asking price on July 1, you won’t on June 29th. Has anyone ever been signed from these “first dibs” trades?

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
At no point during his career has Treliving shown he knows what he is doing, so I am not sure you can make that claim.

Having said that, I am optimistic about this and hope it is 3 years at the absolute maximum and that Treliving has learned from some of his past mistakes.

LTIR requires an injured player in case you were unaware.

225th overall + a prospect who you were going to let their rights expire is not a big deal to get some clarity on the deal ahead of time, so the price is nothing.
I didn't say Treliving was great (I am not sure he is), I said he was better than random internet posters. I stand by that position.

I would much rather see seven years x $2.75M than three years x $5M. He would too. This is his last deal and he gets an extra $5M or so my way. MLSE flexes it's financial strength to keep AAV down for the next three years.

Yes, I am aware you have to be injured to go on LTIR. He will either be hurt, retire and say he is hurt, or play for seven years as a bottom pairing guy making 2.75M on a cap that is over $100M.

I don't see the downside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad