Confirmed with Link: [TOR/DAL] Leafs acquire rights to Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th rd selection

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If we can, I would absolutely do the same thing with some other mid 30s guys if we think someone can give us a good 4 years. Front load the controls heavily, pad a couple extra years. Worst case scenario we eventually buy out the pittance of salary remaining if we cannot just LTIR or trade them. Hopefully in the meantime they can be major contributors to us winning.

I'd love to cheat the cap like some teams although I believe it is already being discussed amongst the league/owners/GMs that it is an issue, and when Stone does it for year 4, they may just try to tighten up LTIR.

Not sure I want to start buying out players as you suggested.

I trust the team that deals with the cap structure though, they seem to be wizards, so I am sure they will sort this out.

JimmyJiveJones

Jan 28, 2019
I would like to chime in on his injury history. He tends to get injured playing for very bad teams. When the Canucks were good that 1 covid season, he played the whole season. Infact when he played for Calgary those 2 seasons when they were in the playoffs, he never missed a game aswell. But of course hes gonna get banged up when ur the #1 guy they send out to block shots and defend against the other teams best.

Reactions: KMNRB

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I'd love to cheat the cap like some teams although I believe it is already being discussed amongst the league/owners/GMs that it is an issue, and when Stone does it for year 4, they may just try to tighten up LTIR.

Not sure I want to start buying out players as you suggested.

I trust the team that deals with the cap structure though, they seem to be wizards, so I am sure they will sort this out.

This wouldn’t likely apply to that specific loophole. If Tanev is legit not able to play anymore for say the last 2 years that’s entirely different then someone sitting all year and coming back for the playoffs game 1.

Also, I only suggested buyout as a last resort option with very little remaining money on the deal, in the unlikely scenario that we couldn’t LTIR him if he can’t play, or trade him. If, let’s say the AAV was around $3M, and only like half that is actually salary that should be easy to get rid of without even resorting to a buyout situation.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Throwing away a 7th is nothing but the thought of giving a 35 yr old (mid season) a long term deal is just a terrible idea. But that’s Tre …he gave reaves a contract to long and now is attempting to over buy for Tanev.

He may be good for a few yrs…and then we will wondering how to get rid of that contact.

Not a fan

But what did we expect from Tre?

Let’s hope the cap hit is team friendly because that will be the only way you should offer a long term deal.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I would like to chime in on his injury history. He tends to get injured playing for very bad teams. When the Canucks were good that 1 covid season, he played the whole season. Infact when he played for Calgary those 2 seasons when they were in the playoffs, he never missed a game aswell. But of course hes gonna get banged up when ur the #1 guy they send out to block shots and defend against the other teams best.

Why would we sign a shot blocking shutdown D unless we’re sending him out to block shots and defend against the other teams best? If he’s not doing it, who is?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He can retire right?
Isn't a 35+ contract.

Huge front end signing bonus and then he can retire rather than go on LTIR.
Leafs sign him into front office ... wink wink nudge nudge.

What are the rules around frontloading? I thought it couldn't be too heavily frontloaded.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
This wouldn’t likely apply to that specific loophole. If Tanev is legit not able to play anymore for say the last 2 years that’s entirely different then someone sitting all year and coming back for the playoffs game 1.

Also, I only suggested buyout as a last resort option with very little remaining money on the deal, in the unlikely scenario that we couldn’t LTIR him if he can’t play, or trade him. If, let’s say the AAV was around $3M, and only like half that is actually salary that should be easy to get rid of without even resorting to a buyout situation.

I think the AAV will be $4 million or more.

Regardless, I trust our cap team to figure out the best way to sign him and bend the rules.

Reactions: Sypher04

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Can’t wait until the league changes the LTIR rules to eff us over on this one
Worse comes to worst, he gets bought out.
If they sign him to an 8 yr contract and try to put him on LTIR in the 2026, I hope the NHL says no way.
Of course you do.
Max he can sign for is 7 years. Why is that stupid?

If he were to retire, his cap hit is gone since he’s under 35.
Isn't it 8 now that he's technically a Leaf for two days?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He's going to be 35, being under 35 helps contractually. I am ok with Tanev if he is the second best Dman we sign this off-season which is why I want a lower AAV.

He was pretty important for Dallas this year, there was even Conn Smythe talk if they won the cup. I know he is aging and declining, again low AAV by long term.
He needs to be the 3rd or 4th best D they acquire over the next 12-18 months. By then he’ll just be in the way.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
What are the rules around frontloading? I thought it couldn't be too heavily frontloaded.

Front-Loaded Contract Variability

-The difference between compensation in any year and the year immediately before or after cannot exceed 25% of compensation in Year 1 of the contract

-Compensation in any year cannot be less than 60% of the highest compensation year

Reactions: DarkKnight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad