Confirmed Trade: [TOR/DAL] Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th round pick

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
He has a LOT of mileage on his body, and turns 35 in 6 months. He's a very solid defenceman but I'd be wery weary of anything resembling a long-term deal.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
How does it make less sense if you put any thought into it. You think they are expecting him to play the 6, 7 , 8 years of that deal? Of course not. It let's them add him for cheaper now and then he just goes to Robidas Island when he is done

Yes, and 35 year olds with tons of miles on them and an injury history are guaranteed to be good in years 3-4-5 as well, right? And there’s a mechanism in the CBA to force a player to honor a 5 year old handshake agreement to retire in year 6? And somehow any of this has less risk than renting a 34 year old for one playoff run? Poor Leafs fans, always being picked on. Has nothing to do with their management just not being real good.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
We finally get him after everyone else had him :laugh:. Hopefully he still has a few years left in the tank.

Because he's not on a 35+ contract, I wouldn't be shocked if its a longer deal at a lower cap hit where the last few years a ridden out on LTIR

Jan 21, 2018
"Tax friendly markets" but, but, hfboards claims it isn't a factor.

HFBoards? No, it is literally just Tampa and Florida fans that claim it isn’t a factor.

First they used Florida as an excuse because that team sucked forever and couldn’t sign any friendly contracts

I guess they are running out of excuses now, not sure why it’s so hard to admit that taxes give them a big advantage. big market teams obviously had a big advantage prior to the salary cap, and low taxes give Tampa/florida and advantage after the cap was introduced

Last edited:

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
why would they trade for his rights if he already planned on signing there....

worry about your team???

Everyone and their mother wanted Tanev a month ago and now hes shit and useless because he went to Toronto.

its the same old same old... at least change it up and be more creative
differnce as a rental, not a long term deal...... toronto fans always playing the victim. never change.

Reactions: dukeofjive

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I would love to land Tanev in Van but how much does he have left to give? he'll be 35 for the upcoming season, do you really want him on a big contract with term?

Reactions: David71

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
from what I saw against Dallas this year, dude is done. I've seen a lot of Tanev over the years in Vancouver and Calgary...hes a shell of his former self.

He was meh in the Oilers series, but extremely good in the previous 2 against the Avs and Vegas. Shutdown Eichel and MacKinnon like it was nothing

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I would love to land Tanev in Van but how much does he have left to give? he'll be 35 for the upcoming season, do you really want him on a big contract with term?

Depends on how it's done, low aav for long term? He isn't 35 yet so his contract could be buried down the line when he falls of a cliff in theory.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Tanev was fantastic last season, especially in the Playoffs for Dallas so this is a strange post.

The issue isn't what he is now, he's clearly still an excellent Defenseman...but when does he fall off a cliff? We just seen Brodie go from being a solid #3 to barely being bottom pairing caliber in the span of 1-2 years at the same age.

He could fall off a cliff as early as next season, I doubt he has more than 2 left in him at this level.
Hes already on his way off the cliff.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Tanev was fantastic last season, especially in the Playoffs for Dallas so this is a strange post.

The issue isn't what he is now, he's clearly still an excellent Defenseman...but when does he fall off a cliff? We just seen Brodie go from being a solid #3 to barely being bottom pairing caliber in the span of 1-2 years at the same age.

He could fall off a cliff as early as next season, I doubt he has more than 2 left in him at this level.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost

I take it you don't watch much hockey outside of the Oilers.

He was absolutely incredible matching up against MacKinnon and Eichel.

Wasn't as good against Edmonton but those were some brutal matchups and he more than met the challenge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad