Confirmed Trade: [TOR/DAL] Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
Really like this from the Leafs. I was hoping Ottawa would do the same with Roy. Giving up a late pick to get a crack at sniping someone before they go to market seems like an easy choice and I’m surprised it hasn’t been done more this year. Lots of suitors and not enough guys to fill the role. Try to make your own luck.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I actually love the persecution complex from Leafs fans more. 34 year old rental being a great add for a division leading playoff team makes sense; soon to be 35 year old getting an 8 year (or just long term) contract… makes less sense. Really doesn’t have a whole lot to do with the teams unless you have a perpetual victim complex.

How does it make less sense if you put any thought into it. You think they are expecting him to play the 6, 7 , 8 years of that deal? Of course not. It let's them add him for cheaper now and then he just goes to Robidas Island when he is done

Reactions: Lilou

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Expecting the Leafs to sign a couple guys, acquire his rights before free agency. Sign Tanev and hoping we can get Domi signed as well, gives you a much better idea of what you're cap looks like.

Not a big payment, and if for whatever reason it is a long deal, it'll drive the aav down. Don't mind it.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
The good news is that he can't sign for 7 years as per Dreger. So maybe dodged a bullet there...

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Why not give a longterm deal? It drives down AAV and lets us get other important pieces

Tanev knows why Toronto is giving him 6-7 years, he'll enjoy his ride into the sunset with millions entering his account for nothing
I guess, but I’d be wary of giving him that because I could see him falling off in a year or two

Maybe I’m just pessimistic but I think this will age badly in 1-2 years and we will be stuck with his 2-3 million for a few years before LTIR shenanigans

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
next robidas island candidate coming right up
9kheag1vlw4c1.jpeg

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I guess, but I’d be wary of giving him that because I could see him falling off in a year or two

Maybe I’m just pessimistic but I think this will age badly in 1-2 years and we will be stuck with his 2-3 million for a few years before LTIR shenanigans
That's fair, but I think it depends on how low they can get this AAV. If they can get it to 2.5-3, essentially bottom pair money, he should likely still be at that level for a bit longer. The Leafs just want to take advantage of having an elite defensive defenseman at extremely cheap for a year or 2

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
from what I saw against Dallas this year, dude is done. I've seen a lot of Tanev over the years in Vancouver and Calgary...hes a shell of his former self.

Tanev was fantastic last season, especially in the Playoffs for Dallas so this is a strange post.

The issue isn't what he is now, he's clearly still an excellent Defenseman...but when does he fall off a cliff? We just seen Brodie go from being a solid #3 to barely being bottom pairing caliber in the span of 1-2 years at the same age.

He could fall off a cliff as early as next season, I doubt he has more than 2 left in him at this level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad