Confirmed with Link: [TOR/COL] Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen for Tyson Barrie (50% retain), Alex Kerfoot trade (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Do people honestly think Gardiner had good hockey IQ ?

I liked Gardiner, he had weaknesses and strengths, unfortunately his biggest weakness was his decision making in key moments, that is why he was prone to costly mistakes.

Again, I liked him, when you realize what he is. I hope to see him do well and he deserves to get himself paid if a GM is willing to sign him.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

I liked Gardiner, he had weaknesses and strengths, unfortunately, his biggest weakness was his decision making in key moments, that is why he was prone to costly mistakes.

Again, I liked him, when you realize what he is. I hope to see him do well and he deserves to get himself paid if a GM is willing to sign him.
He was a good neutral zone puck possession guy, he was ok offensively and bad defensively under pressure... i will be very surprised if he gets the numbers people said he will

Reactions: dsred

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Not sure how well liked Kadri was in the room. A plug like Marleau gets shipped out and a bunch of Leafs head to twitter to proclaim their love for him. The longest serving Leaf in Kadri gets traded and crickets.
the silence does say something doesn't it?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

I liked Gardiner, he had weaknesses and strengths, unfortunately his biggest weakness was his decision making in key moments, that is why he was prone to costly mistakes.

People mix up IQ with instincts. Kessel, Bozak, and Gardiner have great instincts and I would say are more clever than smart. What I mean is, they make good micro plays in tight spaces but don't always have a good macro reason for being in those spots to start with. Those guys can get eaten alive in the playoffs when the opponent is deliberately linematching to exploit that.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
People mix up IQ with instincts. Kessel, Bozak, and Gardiner have great instincts and I would say are more clever than smart. What I mean is, they make good micro plays in tight spaces but don't always have a good macro reason for being in those spots to start with. Those guys can get eaten alive in the playoffs when the opponent is deliberately linematching to exploit that.

Can't tell if you agree with my point or not...

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Can't tell if you agree with my point or not...

If you control his minutes, put him in a system that plays to his strengths and simplifies the D game, he'll look smart.

Give him a river hockey free-style system, a partner who treats the puck like a grenade, and minimal forward support, and he'll give up ugly turnovers consistently.

Even in the right situation, in the playoffs you're hoping your opponent has someone else to focus on other than Gardiner.

It's like a goalie that's constantly making flashy glove saves. Yeah it takes talent and athleticism, but why aren't those saves boring chest blocks to start with?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The "talent" on this team just finished there ELC's, you need to look at the entire picture and use common sense

I am looking at the entire picture, which also includes talented players that were not on their ELCs.

If you believe this team has met realistic expectations based on their collective skillset and experience, that is your prerogative.

I think this team has underachieved in the playoffs under Babcock's tutelage. He has been badly outcoached in every series.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Stuff like that happens to all players, it’s just magnified because you don’t see every other team 82 games a year

I agree that it does happen to every player, I am just refuting that it doesn't happen.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Stuff like that happens to all players, it’s just magnified because you don’t see every other team 82 games a year

They picked the wrong play too. Matthews took the blame for that one anyway. He called for the puck when he wasn't in a spot to get it.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I am looking at the entire picture, which also includes talented players that were not on their ELCs.

If you believe this team has met realistic expectations based on their collective skillset and experience, that is your prerogative.

I think this team has underachieved in the playoffs under Babcock's tutelage. He has been badly outcoached in every series.

how was he badly outcoached in the Boston series, where was Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Willie, Rielly, Andersen in game 6 and 7?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Like the acquisitions, seems that Dubas is focused on speed and transition game. We also added significant toughness in Harpur, without sacrificing a lot of speed. Harpur by all accounts is a great skater for a big man and he can play right defense.

Hope harpur pans out, would be exceptional to have a 6'7 monster on defence, especially with the likes of Wilson roaming around. Been a while since we had a good crease clearer.
Yeah finally we have someone that will give our puck moving d core room to work their stuff. and we won't have to worry about Wilson having his way with Freddy. It changes things on many levels. But more than that it helps keep fast small attackers from taking our net. Now with ceci and harpur guys will take a good look to see who is on the ice before having their way with us.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Not sure how well liked Kadri was in the room. A plug like Marleau gets shipped out and a bunch of Leafs head to twitter to proclaim their love for him. The longest serving Leaf in Kadri gets traded and crickets.

Marleau wasn't a plug. he had a bad year.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

He's no longer a good player Daisy, I've got nothing but respect for the guys career but he's been falling off for years, even before we signed him and now he's replacement level

Father time always wins

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto

While I don't think he's as "bad" as he was this year, do you think he'll be "better" next year? At age 40 when the season starts? I love the guy, but that seems like a reach to me.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Barrie is better offensively than Gardiner, he is far more dynamic in the offensive zone.

But he worse defensively. Watch some Avs games, you do not want this guy starting in the Dzone.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Where were they? Other than Andersen, the rest of them weren't played enough.
in game 6 ...

• 24 shifts - 17:59TOI - Bergeron
  • ~
  • 28 shifts - 20:07TOI - Matthews
  • 24 shifts - 21:06TOI - Tavares
  • 29 shifts - 21:17TOI - Mitch
  • 26 shifts - 18:45TOI - Willie
  • 25shifts - 17:25TOI - Kappy

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Where were they? Other than Andersen, the rest of them weren't played enough.

I just don't know how anyone could have watched the 2nd half of the season, and especially in the playoffs, and think that Babcock got the most out of this team. That he adapted, that they lost with their best players playing top minutes, that the team wasn't predictable, that the he didn't over-play vets even when it was obvious they were ineffective..... even playing guys who were injured and having them take key face-offs!?
And then calls out everyone else and takes subtle shots at management through the media.

Isn't it time for a high-priced coach like Babcock to steer a team to some spring-time success? And no more excuses....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad