Confirmed with Link: [TOR/COL] Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen for Tyson Barrie (50% retain), Alex Kerfoot trade (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Is it possible that one of the reasons that Barrie was traded because the Avs talked to Barrie and determined it would take a lot of money to resign him?

Saying its a good deal and then saying hope we resign him immediately afterwards is kind of odd as the resign aspect (and term) in itself is a factor in determining the value.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Sign Brian Boyle and get rid of this smurf. Watching him with the Avs in the playoffs last year was painful. Nothing has changed.

Grossly undersized, perimeter player, who doesn’t understand situational hockey and makes poor decisions with the puck. He is a fringe NHLer. He can’t fill Kadris role.

I honestly think you could be the real Dave Poulin, he's full of horrendous hot takes as well

Anybody that can watch this team and think Kerfoot is the problem is beyond saving, the Kerfoot and Matthews lines have done well thus far

If you have a problem with sucking you should be talking about the Tavares line, that's what genuine sucking looks like

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Is it possible that one of the reasons that Barrie was traded because the Avs talked to Barrie and determined it would take a lot of money to resign him?

Saying its a good deal and then saying hope we resign him immediately afterwards is kind of odd as the resign aspect (and term) in itself is a factor in determining the value.

Colorado has Johnson and Makar for right side defence, so I can understand not wanting to commit to Barrie long term. Our right side is not as definite. That said, cap space would likely be more of a reason for the Leafs not re-signing him. The trade looks different if Barrie walks (and the team doesn't win the Cup), though Rosen is also in the AHL currently. Kerfoot in the same role as Kadri, in addition to being less of a cap hit over a longer term, isn't too shabby.

Kadri was 3C with the Leafs. Rosen would have been bottom pairing at best. For this season, it's a great move for the Leafs considering where Barrie and Kerfoot sit on the depth chart, not to mention the retention on Barrie.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
This was a good deal for both teams. Leafs move a bit of salary & talent from the forward group to the much needed RD spot and cover the #3 spot with decent enough talent. The avs lock down a legit #2 + rushing D Rosen.
Everybody wins.

Reactions: kb

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

If I am GM...the player re-ups or he is traded...period. See Tavares/Islanders for example.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Kerfoot is outproducing Kadri so far.

Can't judge this yet, but if you want to it's an easy one.

Thing too is - Kerfoot is better than Kadri defensively. His positioning is fantastic. It doesnt result in a lot of highlight reel plays, but when it defense boring is best.

Last edited:

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016

I like the trade put me down for a win for the leafs.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Kerfoot is also cheaper and younger. Even ignoring the #1 defenseman Dubas added, Kadri for Kerfoot is a favourable swap I'd say

I'm a Kadri fan, but I wont be surprised if tberes not much of a gap between them at all.iver the next few seasons.

Kerfoot is an incredibly undervalued part of this trade

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Kerfoot is also cheaper and younger. Even ignoring the #1 defenseman Dubas added, Kadri for Kerfoot is a favourable swap I'd say

Kerfoot fits our team better but I don't think he's going to put up more points than Kadri.

We signed him right away at a good deal and secured our top 3C positions.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Kerfoot looks okay. I’ve watched both Avs games and Kadri has definitely looked better (but not exceptionally well either), unfortunately for him his wingers aren’t killing it like Moore and Mikheyev.
Nonetheless Kerfoot looks solid enough as a third line C. Just needs play responsibly and his wingers will do the rest.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Sign Brian Boyle and get rid of this smurf. Watching him with the Avs in the playoffs last year was painful. Nothing has changed.

Grossly undersized, perimeter player, who doesn’t understand situational hockey and makes poor decisions with the puck. He is a fringe NHLer. He can’t fill Kadris role.
You just described Kadri, not Kerfoot.

And we've all seen your other takes. Eventually you will get one right, so keep fighting the good fight. A broken clock, a blind squirrel.....has a better success rate.

Reactions: Menzinger

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

It's because they just promoted Cale Makar who looks like a young Erik Karlsson as a RHD. Makar looks like the smoothest player in the NHL.

shakermaker

Nov 16, 2006
Mississauga
Colorado has Johnson and Makar for right side defence, so I can understand not wanting to commit to Barrie long term. Our right side is not as definite. That said, cap space would likely be more of a reason for the Leafs not re-signing him. The trade looks different if Barrie walks (and the team doesn't win the Cup), though Rosen is also in the AHL currently. Kerfoot in the same role as Kadri, in addition to being less of a cap hit over a longer term, isn't too shabby.

Kadri was 3C with the Leafs. Rosen would have been bottom pairing at best. For this season, it's a great move for the Leafs considering where Barrie and Kerfoot sit on the depth chart, not to mention the retention on Barrie.

They also have Conor Timmins who nobody talks about, shoots right and is also a stud. Just had some concussion issues but if he gets to 100% health, oh man that blue line.

Reactions: Buds17

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York

What exactly did Boyle do for us two years ago in the playoffs?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Not really. We got what we got in the trade, and it was a fair one. Getting him re-signed is undeniably a plus but it's outside the scope of the trade

Reactions: Boutette and kb

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It's because they just promoted Cale Makar who looks like a young Erik Karlsson as a RHD. Makar looks like the smoothest player in the NHL.

The AVs do have a good young defender in Makar, but do teams automatically get rid of an older guy, or do they try to keep multiple good defenders on their team? This assumes the numbers work - iirc it was good at the beginning of this offseason.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Not really. We got what we got in the trade, and it was a fair one. Getting him re-signed is undeniably a plus but it's outside the scope of the trade

Outside the scope of the trade? Is that based on anything other than an opinion?

I like the trade btw, but think its a trade based on the near term (this year) versus a trade motivated by long term considerations.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Outside the scope of the trade? Is that based on anything other than an opinion?

I like the trade btw, but think its a trade based on the near term (this year) versus a trade motivated by long term considerations.

Fact. The asset they traded had one year of term and 50% retention. The asset we acquired had 1 year of term and 50% retention. Neither party has any stake in the asset beyond the term. If additional term/ extension was part of the trade it would be a landslide win in our favour.

As to whether it's a short or long term deal... that's debatable. On the surface we take the slight downgrade at 3C and turn that cumulative 3 year deficit into an affordable top pair RHD, which you can argue is trading long term for short.

But then factor in aging curves (Kerfoot more likely to trend up vs. Kadri down), cap savings, and the extra year on Kerfoot and that long term deficit starts to get murky

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
^^^???

Kadri's contract extends to the end of the 2021-22 season (hence 3 seasons), no?

Nazem Kadri - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Year 1
Kadri @ 4.5 vs. Kerfoot @ 3.5 and Barrie @ 2.75

Year 2
Kadri @4.5 vs. Kerfoot @ 3.5

Year 3
Kadri @ 4.5 vs. Kerfoot @ 3.5

Year 4
Nada vs. Kerfoot @ 3.5

We clearly win big in year 1, and in year 4. The assumption is that the Avs win in years 2 and 3, but that doesn't account for potential age related decline in Kadri and natural development in Kerfoot.

Edit- the asset they traded and we acquired for referenced 721 was Barrie

Reactions: Menzinger

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Kerfoot vs Kadri is a wash IMO, especially with Kerfoot signed 1 year longer and $1 mil cheaper. Barrie looks GREAT for us so far. This trade is a win even if Barrie leaves IMO, and obviously a huge win if Barrie stays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad