Confirmed with Link: [TOR/COL] Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen for Tyson Barrie (50% retain), Alex Kerfoot trade (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Don't worry, as you also know, I also got called a homer. If I was such a fanboy, I would be attacking the trade but I loved the trade.
Maybe there are some who would rather watch Kadri fail then the team be good, but I want the team to be good. If that involves us trading a favorite of mine, I don't really care.

What do you think? I just got a strange feeling there is still another twist in the tale between Kadri and us
. I don't mean him playing for us, but him doing something against us good or bad.

Who knows? I haven't thought about it TBH, he's just another player to me now. I always liked him and I hope he does well but I care more about every player that plays for us.

I've always maintained a bit of skepticism regarding Kadri, so the idea that Kadri is either declining, not fit for the third line, etc. isn't a problem, but it's shocking to see this turnaround from you!

It's not a turnaround, I'm just always trying to be objective and I never was biased towards Kadri. When Kadri was really good I said so and now that his most recent history shows a playoff suspension followed by an off year followed by another playoff suspension, of course his stock has taken a big hit. If it seemed that I was pumping Kadri it was because he was being constantly dumped on unfairly by one poster with a bias against him and I was just defending him.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
On a one year basis the difference between Barrie and our 6 th D is light years beyond the difference between Kadri and Kerfelt and the cap is neutral so this is a huge win on paper this year.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
well, he gets destroyed possession wise in very soft usage....-6.1cfrel and -4.2xgfrel last year, for example.

that's like Gauthier-bad.
What about non-team stats? Times like this get me skeptical cause he looks* good when I see him. Makes me distrust the stats. Perhaps his teammates being very good makes him look bad relatively.

Edit: 39.5% Corsi :(:( PDO ~100. You say he has soft usage but 70% of starts are D zone. Doesn’t excuse his 39% corsi but still I really like him as a player.

Last edited:

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
These pre-leafs articles are always the most illuminating.

He's going to have better wingers here than he ever had in Colorado, where he was forced to carry 4 very questionable wingers for most of his time there.

This. And in a similar way, the last couple years, Spezza also played with what I will kindly term offensive black holes. Both should look better in Leafs jerseys.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The other bit of false advertising about Kadri is how hard he plays. I think he selectively plays hard but there are many, many nights where he's just going through the motions.
Totally agree. He's a guy who needs to throw a hit or be hit to be into the game. I'm not attacking the guy but it's been obvious over the years that the guy can be in cruise control a lot of the time. When he's not sleeping at the wheel hes a hell of a player.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think Kadri is sliding into the #2 center spot
Entirely possible.

Does that mean Kadri is better than he has been the last two years, or does it mean that Colorado has less depth at center (or does it mean something else)?

I think more relevant, particularly to the Leafs, is whether Kerfoot will be better or worse than Kadri as the #3 center in Toronto.

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
Entirely possible.

Does that mean Kadri is better than he has been the last two years, or does it mean that Colorado has less depth at center (or does it mean something else)?

I think more relevant, particularly to the Leafs, is whether Kerfoot will be better or worse than Kadri as the #3 center in Toronto.

I'm gonna go with "Colorado has less depth at center" because there's few teams with better center depth than the Leafs even without Kadri.

My guess is Kerfoot will be just as effective as Kadri was this past season.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Entirely possible.

I think there is an option of playing Kerfoot on Tavares left wing

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
Kadri had the reputation of being a dirty player and a diver. We'll miss his energy but it was always a trade-off on the energy he gave the other team for how much they hated him and they would start playing even more aggressive against us which was never good for a softer, skilled team like ours.

I think that's part of Dubas's strategy, be so soft that we never awaken the aggression of the other team.

Last edited:

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
Kadri wasn't a "2nd line center" for the last two years, and you are assuming Kerfoot will be a winger.

I'll put it this way, if Kerfoot was still with Colorado this coming season, he probably ends up as their 2nd line center because Soderberg is getting really old and Colin Wilson isn't as skilled.

I see them as near equal. Kadri is more physical while Kerfoot is faster but they both have similar skill imo.

A few years back, obviously Kadri wins but he seems like he's lost a step.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Entirely possible.

Colorado has little depth outside their top 3, maybe some 40pt. players. Aalthough they aren't as bad as, say, Dallas which has a huge drop off from their first line to a bunch of 30pt players.

It looks like Kerfoot's linemates will be much like what Kadri had last year, in terms of them being shooters. Kadri being a puck hog with an 8% shooting percentage wasn't really doing his job, but neither were his linemates who weren't passing the puck either. Kerfoot should do better because he will pass the puck to the likes of a Moore or a Kapanen or a Mikheyev. Won't be as good as the top line tandems of Nylander/Matthews or Marner/Tavares, but should provide 40pts all around which would be at least what Kadri and his fellows managed and perhaps a little better.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I'll put it this way, if Kerfoot was still with Colorado this coming season, he probably ends up as their 2nd line center because Soderberg is getting really old and Colin Wilson isn't as skilled.

I see them as near equal. Kadri is more physical while Kerfoot is faster but they both have similar skill imo.

Well, Kerfoot is a great passer but doesn't shoot unless he's got a good chance of scoring and Kadri doesnt' pass much and his shooting percentage fell through the floor last year.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I've always been a Kadri fan, called his re-signing for multiple years.
And yet I love this trade. Its a re-allocation of resources to where we need them.

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
Colorado has little depth outside their top 3, maybe some 40pt. players. Aalthough they aren't as bad as, say, Dallas which has a huge drop off from their first line to a bunch of 30pt players.

It looks like Kerfoot's linemates will be much like what Kadri had last year, in terms of them being shooters. Kadri being a puck hog with an 8% shooting percentage wasn't really doing his job, but neither were his linemates who weren't passing the puck either. Kerfoot should do better because he will pass the puck to the likes of a Moore or a Kapanen or a Mikheyev. Won't be as good as the top line tandems of Nylander/Matthews or Marner/Tavares, but should provide 40pts all around which would be at least what Kadri and his fellows managed and perhaps a little better.

Kadri will likely play with Donskoi and Burakovsky on the 2nd line.

I think both those wingers are primed for breakouts as they were primarily used in 3rd line roles with like 14mpg ice time. Kadri should get a ton more ice time, could for sure see him going back to a 30-30 guy on Colorado - remember most teams will match up with the top line of Colorado.

I also agree with another poster here who said Kerfoot will have a similar impact that Kadri had on the leafs - the 3rd line will prob see slightly reduced ice time this year, Kadri's stat line was 16-28-44 pts, I think Kerfoot puts up something similar while being good defensively, just less of an edge than Kadri.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
To be fair Kadri will be playing with much better wingers than Brown and Marleau this upcoming year as well.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The key for Kadri to put up big numbers is how he's used on the PP.

Last year, I just felt that Kadri was out of place on that top PP, he made some bad decisions and I feel like he's not a big threat in the center of the ice on the PP.

Also, unrelated but Tavares needs WAY more looks on the PP next year.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The key for Kadri to put up big numbers is how he's used on the PP.

Last year, I just felt that Kadri was out of place on that top PP, he made some bad decisions and I feel like he's not a big threat in the center of the ice on the PP.

Also, unrelated but Tavares needs WAY more looks on the PP next year.

Which is funny because he scored 12 PPG in the previous two seasons on the top unit with the same set up, and played a key role in its success.

Marner didn't use him in the high tip situation nearly as often this year with Tavares and Matthews added on that unit.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

True. Likely either one is a 2C in Colorado and a 3C in Toronto, with similar skill sets. Kerfoot just turned 25 a week ago, while Kadri will be 29 in six weeks.

Reactions: ZippityDooDa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad