Confirmed Trade: [TOR/ANA] Bernier to Anaheim for conditional 2017 pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Good luck to Bernier. Nice guy. Had a rough start last season, really rough. Sent to the minors rough. He showed guts coming back and was decent for the rest of it. I don't know what the pick is, but it's a cap dump. For once the Leafs have a clear choice of Andersen as #1 in net. The tandems with Reimer/Gustafson and then Bernier seemed to wait for the other guy to take over.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Hes very poor mentally and breaks down easily. He is not prepared for the start of games.

Hes just not a good goalie. Theres no narrative. He'll never be a starter.

He already has been a starter. At times, just two years ago, even a pretty good one. That's a lot of history to revise after last season.

Prince N

Nov 18, 2014
Bringing Bernier to Toronto was a mistake to begin with.

Reimer has a really solid year and the leafs made the playoffs. Instead of going with Reimer the following year, Leafs brought in Bernier and took half of Reimer´s job. That wasn't cool.:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Reimer was a really good goalie and I am certain will be a solid starter.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Highway robbery by Anaheim

you dont even know what the pick is....could be a 3rd/4th which is decent considering the guy is a pending UFA
also LOL at how Bernier is suddenly good again according to other fan bases. might as well just admit its the leafs bias that he was garbage this time yesterday but now he is a quality goalie

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
Bad trade Leafs, he could be decent this year and you could've gotten a real draft pick at the deadline.

Instead you trade him for nothing and go with sparks as the backup?

Worst trade leafs have done in two years.

Reimer played lights out and we got a 4th/conditions. 3rd. Rather trade bernier now than take the risk.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
He already has been a starter. At times, just two years ago, even a pretty good one. That's a lot of history to revise after last season.

Where was he the clear cut starter? it wasnt Toronto. He never won it from Reimer. At best he was the 1A to Reimers 1B. He did not own the net here.

Mad Brills*

True, but he's had 2 bad seasons since then, and his last year was propped up to below average instead of awful due to his perfomance in the last 7 weeks of the season.

He's a good backup.

Mad Brills*

Where was he the clear cut starter? it wasnt Toronto. He never won it from Reimer. At best he was the 1A to Reimers 1B. He did not own the net here.

2013-14 he was the clear cut starter from November on to mid march that year.

60 games at a 922sv%.

He was a borderline vezina top 3 candidate that year.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
I think this is a fine trade for both sides. Why does there have to be a winner and loser here?

As a ducks fan, I just hope the pick tops out as a 3rd, or comes with some really stiff conditions on the pick. But I like Bernier as a backup that can play 25-30 games for us.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany

He played 55 and 58 games - that's a starter's workload. Not a workhorse, but absolutely a starter. He absolutely won it over Reimer, and both easily and deservedly so.

Mad Brills*

I think this is a fine trade for both sides. Why does there have to be a winner and loser here?

As a ducks fan, I just hope the pick tops out as a 3rd, or comes with some really stiff conditions on the pick. But I like Bernier as a backup that can play 25-30 games for us.

If bernier was making half his cap hit, I'd doubt the leafs trade him TBH.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
He played 55 and 58 games - that's a starter's workload. Not a workhorse, but absolutely a starter. He absolutely won it over Reimer, and both easily and deservedly so.

They appointed him multiple times over the years and gave him every advantage over Reimer but neither goaltender won the starter job. Hence both are gone now.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

No, he did not. Nothing about Bernier's time in Toronto could be described as a easy. He was not able to provide solid goaltending for a team that needed it. He was not mentally prepared. LA fans warned us of exactly that when we acquired him and it holds true today.

Anyways. Good riddance. Happy to never see him start another game and crush the teams spirit by letting in a terrible goal at a bad time.

Olympus Mons

Dec 6, 2012
Orange County, CA
I remember the Raptors traded a player about 10 years ago. Maybe it was McGrady? Anyway it was a sign and trade the trade was future considerations. Raptors ended up getting offered an exhibition game. Talk about weird. So future considerations could be anything, tickets to Disneyland for the team maybe. :laugh:

Since it's Bernier maybe California Adventure.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
He may have played more games then Reimer, but not because he deserved it. Old management and Carlyle didn't like Reimer obviously, or they wouldn't have went out and acquired Bernier when Reimer played a huge role in bringing a bad team to game 7.

Reimer was at times the better goalie in the tandem, yet Carlyle kept giving Bernier the majority of the starts. What we saw last year, pre-Reimer trade was what we should have seen for the 2 years prior. Or better yet just have Reimer as the starter and never acquired Bernier oin the first place. Seemed unnecessary at the time as only looks bad in retrospect too.

He wasn't as bad as Leafs fans are making him out to be. But I wouldn't classify him as good either. The entire time he was here I preferred Reimer despite the majority of Leafs fans(not all of them obviously) hating on Reimer non stop because he didn't look pretty while making saves. Too sctrambly in the net or something.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
What's our over-under that Bernier gains major value over this season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad