Value of: Top Dollar for Lafreniere

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
William Trudeau + 2rd pick 2024 (#33 to #40) for Laf .
Look at Trudeau first before bitching about this proposal.
As a Hab fan no way I make that deal, if they are getting a high 2nd then Trudeau is not on the table. I would only consider adding someone who no longer fits into the plans like Farrell or Mysak just to balance the contracts in the 50.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I'm not sure that Lafreniere is showing the progress over those guys. His underlying numbers have trended down and he didn't score at the inflated rates of his first two seasons. If Lafreniere is moved it will be for the same reason Dach and Newhook were moved (stagnation in the system). Newhook like Dach is also a guy who can play center and as we all know that has more value than wingers. The other thing in Dach and Newhook's favour (at least in Montreal's POV, but likely for other teams too), is that they had a lot of control left. Dach and Newhook signed 4 year deals with Montreal and will be RFAs when they expire. Lafreniere has a year less control and is under contract.

From the Habs, something like the Calgary 1st and Sean Farrell seems to fit the general fit of the other two trades, but I'm not super fussed if they try to make a move for him or not. Montreal has enough players to try to develop, they don't need to risk a Drouin-esque distraction.
I wouldn't move those assets for Lafreniere. Too much for a guy who seems utterly lost on the ice

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
This whole situation was predictable and NYR fans have been saying they would rather drive his value to zero than sell him at a loss. No need to revisit this or speak to sunk cost, let them keep him and when the time comes grab him off waivers.

This has something around Podkolzin written all over it
I would rather not trade Podkolzin for him, at least the kid has heart and puts in the effort.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
This whole situation was predictable and NYR fans have been saying they would rather drive his value to zero than sell him at a loss. No need to revisit this or speak to sunk cost, let them keep him and when the time comes grab him off waivers.

I would rather not trade Podkolzin for him, at least the kid has heart and puts in the effort.
Come on now. He's not going to get waived. Some of these hot takes are getting ridiculous.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
That’s actually my position - that it is the player, not the situation - but the thread is my way of gauging how others view him. You should see the discussion in the Lafreniere thread on our boards. I’m definitely not making excuses for him - I’m trying to see if I’m being too hard on him.
Here’s my view, I feel bad for Laf and believe he needs a change. In addition, Ranger fans need to stop using the name kid line. These guys are no longer rookies or 2nd year players. It really sound foolish.

• Haha
Reactions: rangersfansince08

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'm not thrilled by Laf lately but he is not getting waived. That is pure nonsense. He had a very strong second half and playoffs in 2021-22. He was expected to take a step forward in 2022-23 but he did not. He probably took a small step back in some ways. Still he is a defensively responsible 40 point 3rd liner at 21. Guys do not usually peak at 21. If somebody wants him they will have to come with either a top prospect or a mid first round pick.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
As a Hab fan no way I make that deal, if they are getting a high 2nd then Trudeau is not on the table. I would only consider adding someone who no longer fits into the plans like Farrell or Mysak just to balance the contracts in the 50.
As I said all offseason, hfboards is the only place on earth where draft capital and mid level prospects are more valuable than winning an actual cup.

Laff would be the best forward on the habs.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
That's what makes HFBoards so special. It's like America... It's not so much a place as it is an idea. As long as people believe in it, it will exist. Even of its only a dream.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Just to be clear
bern HAS AGAIN BEEN PROVEN CORRECT

once Laf skating sufficient, w/proper linemates = chemistry he would be in Steve Vickers territory

Price since season started, some evidence potential does = actual now a fact, even if he does not reach 40ish gs he is now sched to hit, his production now COMMANDS huge increase

bern will get around to a full analysis over the w'e

verdi

Oct 19, 2023
What has Lafreniere accomplished so far?

Pathetic numbers for a first overall - not to say that every 1st OA is going to be a Matthews or McDavid, but it's clear this guy is more Yakupov.

2020-21New York RangersNHL56129218-7
2021-22New York RangersNHL791912313722027911
2022-23New York RangersNHL81162339331070000
2023-24New York RangersNHL17841241
NHL Totals2335548103822727911

For comparison here's Yakupov's stats before leaving the NHL.

2012-13Edmonton OilersNHL4817143124-4----------
2013-14Edmonton OilersNHL6311132436-33----------
2014-15Edmonton OilersNHL8114193318-35----------
2015-16Edmonton OilersNHL608152324-16----------
2016-17St. Louis BluesNHL4036914-3----------
2017-18Colorado AvalancheNHL589716262----------

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
As I said all offseason, hfboards is the only place on earth where draft capital and mid level prospects are more valuable than winning an actual cup.

What an odd post. When did Lafreniere win a cup?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Way to commit an argument fallacy.

A. There isn’t a trade or series of trades that guarantee a cup. If it did teams would trade all their picks without issue.

2. Some management teams treat their picks with high regard because of the above. They need these picks in a cap world in hopes of a cheaper production player. So it isn’t just HF.

D. Yes HF does overvalue picks sometimes, that doesn’t mean a lavisj trade for Laf puts anyone in a better position to win the cup. His shooting percentage is high and his history isn’t great. Skepticism is likely to occur here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad